New to C section birth. Scared.

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ashez
  • 1 Post By PaxtonsMom
  • 1 Post By appletree

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
mercedes1987's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mercedes1987
I have had 4 previous vaginal deliveries but this time I need a c section because of placenta previa. I am 25 weeks now and will likely be delivering at 37 weeks via sheduled c section unless I bleed heavy which I haven't been.

I have read up and tried to research about how c sections are done but the whole process scares me, and the pain afterwords does too... it makes me wonder if natural labor hurts more or less... either way I need some reassurance somehow.

BTDT MOMMY.

December 12th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hi -
it's normal to be nervous of a c-section. I've had a rough time healing (going on 5 months and I still have an open incision) however, this is very rare. Most other people I've talked with have healed in about 6 weeks. I've never had a vaginal birth, so I can't compare the two, but it is painful, it's major surgery.

The actual procedure in my case was good, I got a spinal, which I couldn't feel at all since they froze the area first, then from my chest down went numb right away. The area is covered so you and your partner can't see anything, and, in my case, the doctors were very quiet and I couldn't hear what was going on at all (it was a teaching hospital too, so there were a ton of doctors in the room). Within a few minutes, she was out. They held her over the sheet so we could see her quickly, then took off with her to clean her and weigh, measure her. They brought her to us about 4 minutes later.

Closing up took what seemed like forever, they also (to my understanding) give you something in your IV to make your uterus contract and then they push on it a lot...but you can't feel anything, just some tugging and pulling. One of the pain meds they put in the spinal causes itching, worse for some than others...it was pretty bad for me, I was so itchy.

Healing, as I said, is taking forever for me and I was in extreme pain for months...but, this is rare...

On the good side - you don't have to go through labour! On the bad side - healing is longer, you're more limited to what you can do after and some woman have issues with the fact that they did not give birth, kinda of like you're stripped of what's 'supposed' to happen during birth.

All in all - as long as the baby arrives safely, that is ALL THAT MATTERS.

It's not easy to have a baby and it's painful no matter how you do it.

I hope the above didn't scare you, I always think that it can't be this bad for the majority of people if some people chose an elective section...

Good luck with everything!!
December 13th, 2012, 07:00 AM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was mortified when I found out I needed a C Section - I was planning a natural birth for goodness' sake!!! Here is a blow by blow - I wish people had told me this stuff prior to because I wouldn't have been so scared. It sucks the next day. Period. Every day gets better though. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

They put something in your IV while prepping you that makes your BP drop so you might feel horrible for a minute, it passes; they make you drink this horrid stuff (like sweat) to neutralize your stomach acid right before going into the OR; you will more than likely be prepped in the actual OR suite alone with just the medical staff but they should let your partner in soon; they put little inflatable booties on your feet to make sure circulation continues; they will come off tomorrow but be ready for another night of crappy sleep bc they are loud! idk if you had this, but i ALWAYS had to pee so the catheter was a god send - they, if they have a heart, won't put it in until AFTER your spinal - you won't feel it and when it comes out, it's a tiny pinch the next day. what else...spinal isn't bad - it's really measured bc they know how long they have to numb you for so i was flopping my legs like 45 mins post surgery - it feels like a little pinch, then your legs get warm and heavy. just make sure you stay on top of your meds! don't be a hero!

December 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
mercedes1987's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mercedes1987
Thank you guys so much for the amount of information. I was not expecting so much.. I needed to know more because my friend had an emergency one and it sounded alot scarier, and with her heart problems she had to be shocked with paddles twice to keep her heart rate normal so she wouldn't die.. that scares me.. So the stuff u drink neutralizes stomach acid so you dont get nauseated right? At this hospital they give u gravol during the surgery too.
I asked today lool I had to.

BTDT MOMMY.

December 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran
I believe the placenta could still move....is it marginal or complete?
December 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right, they don't want you throwing up while on the table! I forgot to tell you I got a little nauseous after the spinal and there was no Zofan (I think) in ANY of the ORs around me so I had to toughen through it. They will put towels over your arms (you're essentially on a narrow table with a place to lay your arms) and there will be a sheet up so you don't have to see anything.

Everything will be okay, I promise! It is such a standard procedure, your baby will be nice and calm (definitely will cry when they get out) but I remember crying when I heard him for the first time - it'll be different from you last birthing experiences but I would do it again with no concerns!
Karenna likes this.

January 13th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Veteran
Hi ,Ive had 2.
Dont freak out, My first was emergency, 2nd was elective and this will be an elective.
If it was that bad id not have gone another 2 times hehe

It is VERY VERY QUICK
What you wont like as much is being in the recovery room away from baby for a bit but you should feel SO SAFE and happy knowing EVERYONE has the best medical care..

Its great, youll be 100% fine xx
Karenna likes this.
January 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran
Hello friend!

When I was told I'd need a c-section, I kid you not---I started bawling my eyes out! I've not ever had any major surgery my entire life, not even a broken limb---and to be told I was going to have a c/s I was like "WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?" The circumstances of my surgery were hectic (not special, I'm sure many mamas have had this happen)--but I started labor naturally and by hour 12, alarms started going off and add to this--my regular OB was on *vacation* and I didn't even have a clue who this 'on-call' doc was! Turns out my son's cord was wrapped--his oxygen levels were plummetting seemingly out of no where and the doc was like "WE'RE GOING INTO THE OR **STAT**!!!" and I went from having a vaginal delivery to major surgery in less than 5 minutes--my husband was trying to be brave for me, but later on told he he wasn't scared ever as much as that moment in his entire life.

Turns out, in the end, the on-call doc had a better bedside manner than the doctor I had been seeing the entire previous 9 months---and he made me feel protected, assured me and my husband, and I knew my son's life would be safe. I actually went back to him for my 2nd pregnancy, he was THAT good. I didn't have staples to help heal--they used tape, and honestly (and I'm not exaggerating) I never had **ANY** issues with pain as long as I kept up on the pain meds--I was more ticked off that I couldn't drive for three weeks, LOL. I stayed in loose clothing to make life easier once I left the hospital too. I didn't have ANY problems bonding with my son or breastfeeding having gone through this type of delivery.

I wish you ALL the best, mama, I truly do. I have to add to everything that having a GREAT doctor helps tremendously as your mental health will be taken care of as well .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search