We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Today I went in for an ultrasound (I'm 38 weeks) to check fluid levels and it was discovered my stubborn little baby was breech. I go in on Monday to talk with my OB and to schedule a c-section. I'm not really depressed about it or anything, since I just want her here safely (I've been through a lot just to get a child so any way she arrives is fine with me). I guess I'm just looking for a place to feel like it's ok that I'm accepting this. It seems like everyone wants to tell you that you should do anything you can not to have a c-section and that c-sections are a bad thing, etc etc, and I am having a really hard time controlling my anger towards them for saying that.
Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
I'm sorry people are making you feel it's not ok. I don't have much advice except that you have to just ignore them, listen to yourself and listen to your doctor. I had the same problem in 2008 when I had my daughter. I was 42 weeks and made 0 progress. She hadn't dropped and I was no where near going into labor on my own. My doctor said I can induce if you want but I've been doing this 20 years and she isn't coming out through your vagina. He said I would end up with a csection regardless and if I tried to labor first my csection recovery would be worse. We scheduled the csection and her cord was wrapped around her neck twice and then through her legs so it was holding her up in my ribs and wouldn't of allowed her to come out. In the end I was glad I listened to my doctor and myself and just got my baby here safely.
Generally, vaginal delivery is better for mom and baby. C-section is a major surgery and generally major surgeries are best avoided. However major surgeries are necessary at times and have saved many lives. Delivering a breech baby vaginally puts greater risk on the BABY (degree of risk depending on the type of breech). A c-section puts greater risk on the MOM. My second daughter was breech near full-term (35/36 weeks, around there) but my doctor was able to turn her. If she hadn't turned I would have had a C-section as I would rather have the greater risk be to my life, not my child's. I do know one woman who delivered her baby breech but no one knew the baby was breech until his feet were sticking out, little late to do anything about it then. He was born healthy and strong.
My one friend had an emergency c-section and didn't see her baby for 24 hours as they knocked her completely out after being induced early due to pre-eclampsia. She wished she had just had the c-section instead. My cousin had an emergency c-section after three days of labor with the baby not moving an inch. Apparently she already had enough drugs on board that she did not need to be knocked out so she saw her son immediately after birth. Turned out baby boy was in such a position that he would have never been delivered vaginally.
Thank you ladies. I am still getting the comments about how I should try an external inversion but after reading up on everything, I think she's breech for a reason. She must have a short cord or perhaps it's wrapped around her neck or something. I would hate to loose her because of a cord accident or placenta abruption. Thankfully my husband is in 100% agreement with me on the c-section so that makes me feel a lot better about everything.
Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
I agree don't let anyone make this decision for you. My LO is 3 months old and I needed an emergency C-Section and lets just say I wish it had been planned and known about rather than 20 hours later and watching his heart rate drop and being rushed to surgery. He is fine and healthy and that is all that matters. Doesn't matter how he got here, I still baked him and carried him and got him here healthy.
You have already had your LO, but thought I would throw in my two cents. Forget what people around you think, stand with your decision and go with your gut. In 2007, it was discovered by u/s at 38 weeks that my son was breech. One week later, I had a scheduled version at the hospital. I had done my research and wasn't too thrilled about having a version, and during the past week, it had become very apparent DS was breech, his movements were pretty painful and increasingly so. After arriving in the hospital, I began to labor. They told me he was coming either way that day, by c/s or vaginal delivery. I just had a feeling something wasn't right and decided against the version, so I would have a c/s. My OB called in an U/S tech, and after looking at DS, both OB and tech continuously pushed for me to have the version, saying ds was an average 6 lbs, and that I was already dialated, so labor should continue nicely. I really went with my gut, and stood my ground, and said no, that I wanted the c/s. Long story short, I delivered a ten pound baby with a short cord. Even my doctor admitted that I would have had a very difficult labor and would have probably been rushed back for an emergency. Not to mention the much higher risk of placenta abruption and cord accident.