Low iron levels and c-section

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By irishblessing

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Super Mommy
My doc recently called me and told me that my iron levels came back on the low side I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and have just added an iron suppliment in addition to my prenatal vitamin. With both the prenatal and iron suppliment I am taking in 55mg of iron..is this too low? I am very nervous to have low levels since I will be having a c-section....have any of you experienced this? Is it really bad to have low levels when having a c-section?
March 25th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
*lurking*

I was on iron supplements in addition to my prenatals and ended up with an emergency c-section. I had no complications related to my iron levels.
Karenna likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 26th, 2013, 01:44 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm lurking also. I had low iron levels and had no issues with the c-section.
Karenna likes this.

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
March 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you! I have been sooo incredibly nervous about having low iron and my upcoming cs.
May 30th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just lurking. I had low iron and scheduled c-section. My hb was 9 point something. They had blood ready just in case. I didn't need the blood though. They said they wouldn't transfuse me unless I got under 8. This time I'm taking spatone and a prenatal eating lots of spinach also!

[/url]
July 9th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Veteran
I too had low iron levels and was on an iron supplement in addition to my prenatal vitamin. And the dose was low, like yours. Not to worry. Be sure to eat iron rich foods up until your c-section - kale, spinach, etc ... I had no complications during my c-section either.

Web Designer at Studio239Design.com, and Creator of SWFLbaby.com
October 24th, 2013, 07:18 PM
GingerMomof3's Avatar Regular
I have always been severely anemic and even had an iron transfusion during my pregnancy and didn't have any problems during my scheduled c-section. My iron is really low again (around a 5 or 6) and we are TTC so I'm already taking a lot of iron supplements and preparing for the possibility of mpre transfusions. If you're staying on top of it and being proactive, I wouldn't worry too much

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search