Gentle Cesarean or Natural Cesarean- Birth Plan Template

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By PoppetsMom
  • 1 Post By lemieuxcrew
  • 1 Post By d_tops
  • 1 Post By Kinsma90

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2014, 07:31 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
I thought this might be helpful to some of the Mommies out there that are having a planned cesarean birth. This post is driven from a post in my own DDC and thought you'd like to have the same info. I've done some research and asking around, even pulled up Youtube.com videos. Many of us feel distanced from the whole process because it's not "natural" and feel like we didn't or won't get the skin to skin contact that Mom's who give birth vaginally get... We now have an option for what is called a Gentle or Natural Cesarean. (Here's a youtube video with some information in it, be warned it does show a cesarean though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg

In the Gentle Cesarean, you can have the screen dropped so you can see your LO born, have them lay the baby on you while they finish delivery of your placenta and getting you closed up. During this time you can attempt to have LO latch on and have his or her first feeding. My hospital and doctors are huge advocates for this type of cesarean birth, so new or even repeat Mom's can have that bonding experience that we weren't offered before.

I've searched some Cesarean Birth Plan Templates, and found one that is pretty close to what I want and thought I would share with you ladies. It's up to you what kind of experience you'd like to have, and there are other templates out there, but thought I'd offer one up for you to try to save some legwork, although I do recommend you do some research on your own as well as talk to your doctors and hospitals of choice. Below is an EXAMPLE of a Gentle Cesarean Birth Plan. Feel free to use and modify it if it suits your needs and desires.

During Surgery
 Please ensure all medications are suitable for breastfeeding
 I’d like a non-drowsy, anti-nausea med if possible (Zofran)
 Please explain the surgery to me as it happens
 No sedatives after birth. I want to remember my baby’s first day of life.
 Please reinforce my uterus and use dissolvable stitches for closing me up (double suture on my uterus and suture on the outside instead of staples.)
 Warm blanket during surgery if possible

Baby
 Please lower the screen just before delivery so I may see the birth of our baby.
 I ask that the surgery be performed slowly and if possible allow the cord to continue pulsing after the birth so Baby may start breathing on her own while still attached to the placenta
 Please allow for skin-to-skin contact immediately after delivery and evaluate Baby on my chest, (If this is not possible – then father would like skin-to-skin contact)
 Keep cord long for daddy to cut while baby is in my arms
 No Eye Gel, No Hep. B vaccine. I will sign the waiver ahead of time.
 I would like to see and touch the placenta and cord

Recovery
 Once back in our room to recover and been checked as stable, we would like to be alone with Baby to nurse.
 We would like to keep Baby with us at all times. If Baby must go to the NICU due to medical reasons, my fiancé will follow.
 If someone arrives to visit, please check with my husband or I as to whether we are ready for company before allowing them in our room.
 Delay Baby’s bath until the evening after Baby is born rather than bathing Baby right after birth.
 I am willing to be up and walking as soon as possible
 I would like my Catheter out early the morning after surgery
 I would like to eat and have the IV removed as soon as possible after surgery
 I will be nursing on demand and whenever Baby is fussy to help stimulate my milk to come in and to soothe Baby.
April 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Sharing in my DDC. Thank you!
PoppetsMom likes this.
Ophelia due September 2014!

April 10th, 2014, 05:03 PM
A bit more info... Some of this is repeat info from my original post here, but on another board I was asked some more questions.. this was my response.. I do hope that you find this information helpful as you approach your big day, and wish you all the best possible cesarean experience!

Okay, so I get asked about this frequently because I am having a scheduled cesarean for a variety of medical reasons. After educating myself and talking with my doctors and the L&D staff, I have written up what is called a Gentle or Natural Cesarean Birth Plan. It seems the terminology is throwing some people off, or they've never heard of this option. For the purposes of this post I'll be saying Gentle C (however Natural or Women's Centered Cesarean are also accepted terms so as not to cause confusion).

When I had my son almost 15 years ago, the Gentle C was unheard of and not offered. Now, it's my understanding that this has been an option in the United Kingdom for some time and now pretty much standard procedure, however in my designated hospital (here in the United States) it's only started being offered as recently as 5 years ago.

When I had my son, it was very much a surgical procedure. They took you in, opened you up, delivered the baby behind a screen, cut the cord, massaged your uterus to help with delivery of the placenta, removed the placenta and closed you up. During that time they whisked the baby away to be cleaned, given his or her shots, weighed and measured. You might be lucky enough to give the baby a quick kiss before he or she is taken away to the nursery while you are sent off to recovery not seeing your baby for hours, and they give your baby a bottle for their first feeding. Leaving Mom's feeling very disconnected from everything, feeling like you aren't needed now that the baby is born, and losing that first opportunity for that first suckle at the breast and connecting with the baby.

I will preface this part with saying I am NOT an expert, and am only passing information as I understand it, and will advise you to discuss further with your doctors for more information if you have more questions.

With a Gentle Cesarean, once the initial incision has been made and the baby's head has been somewhat delivered, they drop the screen so you can watch your baby be born, once the baby is delivered they place the baby on your bare chest, cleaning the baby right there on you, giving the vitamin k shot, eye gel, allowing for skin to skin contact and attempt to nurse for the first time. While that is going on, your partner or coach is allowed to cut the cord, they deliver the placenta and close you up. You're able to spend at least an hour with your baby before they move you off the surgical table onto your bed, while your switching beds they weigh and measure baby, return him or her to you, and taking you and baby to recovery or your Mom and Baby room. You are never separated from baby. In my opinion this is more idyllic than the traditional cesarean. However, if there are other medical issues that come up during this procedure it may not go this picture perfectly.

What studies have shown is in the past women that have had traditional cesareans are at higher risk for Postpartum Depression, while those that have the Gentle Cesarean have lower instances of PPD. I also have found with my research (not experience) it seems to be more natural, you feel more involved in the birth of your baby, feel more connected and more in control of what's happening to your body. There is a ton of information out there to be had, and it's my belief any woman that knows they are having or at risk to have a cesarean should look into this option as their birth plan, discuss it with your Obstetrician and the L&D staff in your designated hospitals.
April 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Dee
This is great. Thank you so much for sharing this. If I'm able to have a second LO, I will be asking my midwife whether a planned c-section is right for us, and this eases some of my concerns about this. Thank you.
PoppetsMom likes this.
April 16th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
Thank you! Natural delivery just wasn't in my cards unfortunately so I'm VERY grateful to have this info and will be asking my OB/GYN to research this and if he can't do it, I will look for someone who can. I had a VERY traumatic experience with DD so this would really help me.
PoppetsMom likes this.

May 25th, 2014, 02:28 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Not all hospitals do the gentle approach. I've asked and mine is a HUGE learning/teaching hospital and they don't. I won't get baby until in recovery.So make sure you ask.

}
May 25th, 2014, 11:59 PM
The more women that push for the gentle approach, the better chance we have at effecting a change in a way that benefits both Mom and Baby. A lot of doctors still haven't heard of this approach and are excited when they hear about it. It's our job as a patient to be proactive in our care. I realize a lot of places still aren't on board with this method of cesarean, but the fact of the matter is, they never will be if we don't voice our opinion as women and families. We have a right as women to be involved in the birthing process and feel like we can make decisions about what we want and have those needs met if medically possible. The worst we can do is present our doctors and hospitals with the information and they give us VALID reasons why this change can't be accommodated.. and cost is not a valid reason.
July 12th, 2014, 10:12 AM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
Love this definately going to ask my doctor about it. Do you know if it matters that baby will be delivered at 37 weeks? Not because the baby has health issues but because I am very high risk for uterine rupture. Not technically premie but close

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search