C/S or Vaginal again? OB gave me a choice as last 2 V births were very difficult

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By flitabout
  • 1 Post By palmetto_moon

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
IrishBabies's Avatar Super Mommy
Background: I have 2 kids both born vaginally. My first was almost 8pds, in labor for 28 hours, was sunny side up and required a forceps delivery. I had a 3rd degree tear with him and broke my tailbone. My 2nd was 9.4pds, shoulder dystocia (they broke his collarbone and femur getting him out) and I had a beyond 4th degree tear, again broke my tailbone. On top of that he had an un-diagnosed heart condition and had to be rushed to children's hospital for open-heart surgery.
For this 3rd pregnancy, due to my difficult births and tearing/tailbone situations, my OB offered me the choice of having a C/S with this kiddo. I'm considering it but I know a C/S is major abdominal surgery and not to be taken lightly. Of course my relatives who have had multiple C/S all said it was a "piece of cake" and I don't believe that.
Considering my birth history, I'm not sure which way to go: vaginal or scheduled c-section. For those of you that had vaginal and then C/S, what are your thoughts on both, comparison, which would you do again, pros and cons, recovery, etc? I'm looking for any and all insight to help guide me to the right choice.
Thanks ladies!
June 22nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be totally honest after all of my c/s. They aren't easy recovery sucks. if you can do it vaginally do it. Recovery isn't nearly as easy as your family is making it out to sound.
deaths final kiss likes this.

June 23rd, 2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran
How long did it take your tears and tailbone to heal?Good idea to compare recovery from both sides first.
June 24th, 2014, 05:34 AM
IrishBabies's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyknudtson View Post
How long did it take your tears and tailbone to heal?Good idea to compare recovery from both sides first.
It took me about a month to totally feel "OK". Problem was after my last was born, since he was in the hospital, we were there at least 12 hours a day and I could feel my stitches down there "open up" probably earlier than they should have. That of course didn't help. My OB says I healed fine and look good now even though I still feel more "open" than I used to. My worry with another vaginal is tearing again and possibly causing myself incontinence issues years from now.
June 24th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBabies View Post
It took me about a month to totally feel "OK". Problem was after my last was born, since he was in the hospital, we were there at least 12 hours a day and I could feel my stitches down there "open up" probably earlier than they should have. That of course didn't help. My OB says I healed fine and look good now even though I still feel more "open" than I used to. My worry with another vaginal is tearing again and possibly causing myself incontinence issues years from now.

With your issues , i say cs would be best its about the same recovery time.
Its not gonna be fun but its better than any long term damage that might happen otherwise.
July 21st, 2014, 08:18 AM
Melissa
Although, I have never had vbirth, I have experienced two c-sections. My first I would call "a piece of cake". My pregnancy was amazing, as well as the surgery and the healing after was quick. I felt like myself within a two weeks and was curious why women would prefer to have vaginal birth(which is not the case today). Then there was my second, which went the complete opposite. My pregnancy was challenging and the actual surgery and recovery was painful and long. My daughter was 9.9 lbs and I developed diastasis recti which will need to be repaired after I heal from having my latest and last around Feb 2015 I will say both of my children came out healthy and had no problems because of the birth. However, the second did quite a bit of internal damage, but I believe it was because the baby was big and I am small. Will the Dr monitor the baby's weight toward the end? I know the u/s can be off, but I would take that into consideration. I will say there was piece of mind my baby would be ok because I was having a c-section, it was more controlled. I do wish I could have this baby vaginally but that is not an option. Good luck with your decision. I imagine you will hear all kinds of experiences and great suggestions, do what feels right for you.

July 27th, 2014, 11:54 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's so hard to compare because different women have different experiences. Even among the same woman, two vaginal births or two C sections may be total opposite experiences. For me, I much prefer my vaginal births to my C section but that's because I have extremely easy vaginal births and recovery is almost instant for me, while I found the healing time for my section to be way longer and painful and rather difficult. So for me, it's an easy call. That being said, you have not had easy vaginal births and have even suffered serious injury from one, so you may find C section to be the way to go. Unfortunately, there is no sure way to tell if a C section would be a much better experience for you or if it would just be another type of difficult birth. Some things to consider might be
*compare the recovery time of your vaginal deliveries with the average C section recovery (which is hard b/c it varies wildly. For me it was exactly 11 days before I felt normal again, which is wayyyy to long for me)
*What parts of your prior deliveries did you like the most and dislike the most. How would C section differ from or be the same as those? For instance, if you were able to hold your baby immediately after birth and enjoyed that, would that be possible at your hospital with a C section? If you had a section, would you have to be separated from baby for any length of time? If so , how long? Who could remain with you? Would you recover in your L&D room or in a general hospital recovery room? (different hospitals do it differently and I've found that where you recover makes a giant difference in overall experience. If you recover in your L&D room, you are likely to be able to have DH and baby and other visitors with you from the get go...but if recovery takes place in the general hospital recovery room along side patients there for a variety of surgeries (not all OB) then visitation is often restricted and sometimes even husbands and babies can't come in. It makes a big difference in how long until you get your baby. I think most hospitals are coming around to doing recoveries in the L&D room or at least an OB recovery room but not all, so I'd say it's an important thing to check on.
*How do you feel about being in the hospital? Do you enjoy the break from the daily grind of life? Does it drive you crazy and you can't wait to get out. Vaginal deliveries often come with shorter stays, (which is good or not so good depending on how you feel)

*What are the chances that your tailbone could break again during a vaginal birth? Compare that with the chances of complications from surgery.

*Does baby have any known complications that would indicate that he or she would benefit more from one type of delivery versus the other?

Overall, it's going to be a very personal decision and one that you will not be able to have any promises on before it happens. It's be great if we could know these things in advance, wouldn't it? LOL. I think you have valid reason for either choice. I'd just do the research and see what your gut tells you to do. Good luck, no matter what you choose. I hope you have an easy road this time. Sending you wishes for a healthy baby, healthy mom, a beautiful birth and an awesome recovery!
d_tops likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
August 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Super Mommy
My first was vaginal 9lbs 6oz with shoulder dystocia and massive tearing. My second was c-section due to major polyhydroamniosis and an 11lb 10oz baby. Personally I found the csection to be way easier. I was off painkillers 6 days after surgery and walking a block twice a day at that point. I dont have any advice. Its a tough choice. I just wanted to tell you my experience with it.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search