First C-section. what to expect?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Texasgirl11's Avatar Veteran
This is my second kid but first c-section. I'm due August 3rd and doctor will take the baby the last week in July. Anyone have any tips after surgery? What do you pack in your hospital bag? I will have a 2 1/2 year old at home.

April 21st, 2015, 01:43 AM
After surgery, they'll probs make u wear those horrid mesh granny panties, wear them! And see if u can snag a cpl pairs for after u go home, u will bleed/clot a cpl days after birth and no sense ruining ur good panties!! Also, use those super maxi pads they recommend, they helped me alot!
<3 Brittany
April 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran
Hello!

Best wishes for a healthy delivery! Ok, #1 that I wish someone had told me--the pain meds you'll be given will constipate you--take a stool softener since your tummy muscles have just been cut and making things happen actually won't, if you get my drift. (Sorry if that's --just sharing what I wish someone had told me!)

Also--do NOT fall behind on your pain meds! The nurse called it "chasing the pain" and with everything else you'll be dealing with, this is not one of them that you'll want to contend with as well. This is NOT the time to be 'tough'--this is the time for you to have the utmost care and pampering.

LOL---you *will* get some frickin ugly panties to wear hehe, but you'll need them. I didn't bring any pads for my 2nd c/s (my 1st one was an emergency c/s, and my 2nd a planned one)--mainly because what the hospital provided was so much better for a c/s recovery than anything OTC, IMHO.

Get ready to not be able to drive for at least 3 weeks. For some, that isn't an issue--but for me (and I am NOT trying to say I'm 'supermommy' or some guff)--I recovered from my c/s easy and was ready to just do something simple to get out of the house like maybe go to lunch or a small grocery shopping...um yeah NO. Even though you may feel a-ok, your insurance company will NOT cover you in the event of a wreck if you're behind the wheel and get into an accident. Why?--because of those cut tummy muscles. SO, enjoy being driven/chauffered around for awhile.

I've heard that hospitals give out c/s recovery bands now--definitely check into that! That wasn't even offered to me 7 and 5 years ago but it would have been nice. Walk if you can/when you're feeling able because it actually helps in your recovery.

Get a pair or two (if you don't already have any) easy peasy elasticized pants/shorts. For obvious reasons, this will help with your ease and comfort. Also, bring some slippers to the hospital. They do provide some, but my 2nd time around having a super cushy pair of my choosing actually made a big difference for me.

And as asinine as it sounds--don't be scared. That's rather hypocritical of me since with my 1st one when I was told I'd have to have a c/s stat--I started bawling like a loon and throwing up--I've not ever had anything so much even as a broken finger, so the thought of being cut open horrified me. I was able to pull my head out and realize the doctors had things in hand, and in the end the OR staff were SOOOOO nice. Take a camera in if they let you, and get as many pics as you can. You or your SO may not feel like doing it in the moment, but later on you'll treasure those pics, trust me.

Do not be afraid to ask for help! (Warning, TMI alert)--like SweetBrit7511 says--you *will* be bleeding and clot a LOT--even more than a super dooper heavy period. I slept on a large towel at night for weeks...and I didn't feel clean very much of the time between being tired and the recovery bleeding...getting some of those 'shower to shower' bath wipes are good too because you won't be able to lift yourself out of the bathtub for awhile and depending on how you feel, you may not be able to take standing in a shower for long periods of time.

Congratulations mama!
April 27th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Try not to be nervous or scared. Most first time C-Section moms have a lot of anxiety because of the surgery but the procedure is fairly quick and painless.

If you're interested try looking into the 'gentle Cesarean'. This is a new C-Section process many hospitals are practicing where they try to make the procedure as close to a vaginal birth as possible. For example, doing skin-to-skin immediately after the baby is born and breastfeeding in recovery. If those things interest you try looking into that and see if your hospital/doctor offer it.

Also many women get nervous when it comes to the epidural anesthesia which is a needle that's injected into your lower spinal area. Try not to be nervous about that, it only takes a minute or so to insert and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. And one tip: you will be getting a urinary catheter inserted, make sure they insert the catheter AFTER you get your epidural. That's usually the way they do it but I like to tell mamas that it's good to make sure.

About 12 hours or so after surgery they will get you up to walk. It will be hard at first but do it and do it with conviction. The sooner you begin walking and keep walking the faster you'll recover.

If you plan on breastfeeding, get help at the hospital by asking for their lactation consultant. Breastfeeding after a C-Section can be a little challenging after surgery so if you find that you need some help don't be afraid to ask for it.

Follow your doctors orders when it comes to driving and having sex again. Many women don't and they pay the price. Driving is tough because we're moms and need to get things done but the best thing is to plan those first few weeks at home before you have your C-Section. Go grocery shopping ahead of time, plan meals and if you can arrange play dates for your 2 1/2 year old beforehand that's perfect. Those few hours of just you and baby can help a lot.

Be fanatical with caring for your incision; you want to avoid an infection at all costs. An infection will only delay your recovery and they're no fun so follow your incision care instructions carefully.

Finally, take your pain medication and don't get behind the pain curve, especially those first few days when getting around can be the hardest. I'd also recommend an abdominal binder, they really help with minimizing your pain by keeping your incision and ab muscles stable.

Of course if you can get help go for it, especially that first week or so.

Congratulations and enjoy your new baby, they grow up so fast ;-)

Blessings.
July 18th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I have had two c-sections and the first was rough. Recover was painful and I felt like I was being torn in half. I don't say that to scare you. What's really interesting is that when I had the second one it was as if my body remembered. The pain was maybe 1/10 of what it was with the first. I didn't need three nurses to sit up and get out of bed and recover was so much easier.
August 12th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I had a c-section with my first and the nurses were great! Will someone be there with you when you are home for a few weeks? To help with food, sleep, housework ect..

I didn't leave my room for a couple weeks because of the pain and my feet were so swollen! Took a month or so for them to return to normal.

Just take it easy
September 1st, 2017, 06:54 PM
Hello Texasgirl11:

Try to be stress-free about the Cesarean session. Nowadays medical technology has reached the pinnacle and painless C-cuts are done. However, go with the regular procedure which is followed by your OBG. Do not see unnecessary videos of C-cut or do not often chat about c-cut, which might induce irrelevant ideas and imaginations. Try to spend time with your first kid. After the surgery, feed the baby as early as possible. Though you may have pain, you will be put on antibiotics, vitamins and pain killers. Try to tolerate the pain. You will be taught with some physiotherapy exercise to strengthen the abdominal muscles. Do not lift any weight for 3 months after your C-cut. I may be long in advising you and now come to your hospital bag. Keep some free clothes for wearing, sterile panties, large pads to avoid infections, newborn baby clothes, hope the rest will be provided in your hospital. May God bless you.
October 9th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Having a C-Section can be scary, so it is important to keep yourself informed on what to expect during and after C-section. There are a lot of articles to help you prepare for delivery. Try to take it easy after you deliver. It may be hard at first to recover but as long as you take a lot of rest and eat plenty of healthy food, then you'll recover just fine.

Last edited by wahmshie; October 9th, 2017 at 03:17 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search