Ask the Stylist!

Forum: Fashion and Beauty

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fashion and Beauty LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
Okay ladies, this is the post for the week to ask me any questions you have about your hair, or any products.

January 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
LucyRuth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you could give me advice for my sister, her hair is falling out It's so thin now you can see her scalp (all over, it's not typically patchy), and there's almost nothing to hold on to.. she's only 21 and her hair used to be SO thick She always bleached it blonde and just before Xmas she decided to stop and go dark, she has been dyeing it dark purple. She wants to dye it back to her natural colour and let it grow without dyeing it again but our hair is like dishwater dirty colour so I don't know if she will be able to. I have told her to go to a hairdresser in town and to the doctor but I don't know what else advice I can give...
January 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Bleaching takes a big toll on your hair. It will thin it out, especially if she is continually doing it. I would have her go talk to a hairstylist and ask about NIOXINģ. This is a product meant for thinning hair. There are several different levels of it, and a hairstylist would be able to help her out with which to get. In my opinion, System 4 would be the best for her from what you describe. It is a pricey product, but very well worth it.

I use this product on my hair, most specifically during pregnancy because my hair thins out. It helps me immensely. My mother also uses it because she has very fine, thin hair, and it has made a big difference for her as well.

As for your sister coloring her hair again, I would suggest she not use any chemicals (perms, colors) for awhile. It is a pain to let color grow out and get back to natural, but if it means losing your hair, or getting healthy and growing again, I would go with the latter. She might also want to look into conditioning treatments that are protein packed in order to strengthen her existing hair back up.

If you want to know anymore, just let me know.

January 27th, 2011, 04:04 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Have you any tips on your to blow dry short bob style hair cuts without the ends going flicky?
But Iíll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM
LucyRuth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for the advice, I will pass it on!
January 27th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Have you any ideas for something new and different for my hair that would actually suit me? (btw short cuts don't suit me at all).

This is from 2006 but this is how I have my hair at the moment except it's a bit darker.

January 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry I'm so late getting to these ladies. I was without power from Wednesday until sometime overnight last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Firefly* View Post
Have you any tips on your to blow dry short bob style hair cuts without the ends going flicky?
The best way to blow dry a bob is to use a round brush while drying. Make sure that you separate the hair into different layers in order to get all of the hair dry and rolled under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Silverla~ View Post
Have you any ideas for something new and different for my hair that would actually suit me? (btw short cuts don't suit me at all).

This is from 2006 but this is how I have my hair at the moment except it's a bit darker.
What I would do with your hair is take about 3 inches off of the length. Then I would add layers that start at the middle of the cheek bone. Taking up some length and then lots of layer is going to give you incredible body. Have them frame your face starting at the mid cheekbone. I would also have them do a thicker pie shaped side bang.

As for color on your hair, I would use a 5G. The G is more of a golden brown color. Then I would add some caramel colored highlights just on the top and around the face.

Styling for this can be done with your fingers, any brush and a blowdryer. If you wanted to fancy it up a bit more, you could use your curling iron.

January 29th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Thats great advice!

This is my hair now:

I find it impossible to blow dry etc so i use a straightening iron (i use one meant for wet hair) but im SO BORED of it already, I want to be able to style it up sometimes... any ideas?
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 31st, 2011, 04:36 AM
bumping for Amanda
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 31st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Firefly* View Post
Thats great advice!

This is my hair now:

I find it impossible to blow dry etc so i use a straightening iron (i use one meant for wet hair) but im SO BORED of it already, I want to be able to style it up sometimes... any ideas?
If you are wanting to pin it up, then you should become best friends with bobby pins. You can use a curling iron or not. Either way would be cute.

As for the cut itself, I would have an inverted stack done. That's going to give you a bit more to be able to work with as for giving it some style. The back can be cut several ways. I recently did an inverted stack on one of my besties. She has very fine hair and it is very limp. She uses the flat iron or the curling iron on hers. When I styled her after cutting it, I used a round brush and loved how it looked. I would look into doing this with your hair if you are willing to lose some of your length in the back.

Here are the pics of the most recent one I did.

Just remember, you don't have to go as short as I have her's in the back. This is just how short she prefers her hair. I actually had this haircut, but in a longer version. So if you want to keep it a bit longer, you can do like mine was.

Last edited by *~Amanda~*; January 31st, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
January 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I see your giving really good advice, so I figured why not...i might as well give this a shot. My hair is naturally curly but lately I feel like its not been quite the same. Normally I let my hair air dry with some gel to tame the frizz when I want it to be curly. Only thing is i hafta wear it in ponytail as it dries or else its too flat, but that's fine i don't mind that part. I just got a diffuser over the summer so i can dry my hair and have it still be curly if im in a rush...however i am not really thrilled with the results. I don't know if its something i'm doing or if i'm just wasting my time with it. In general though i feel my hair hasn't been as curly as it used to be. I do use a straightener, i try not to do it to much but i do like to change things up from being curly all the time. My mom thinks its making me loose the curl i used to have...what do you think? I figured some pics would be helpful, because my hair is dark in most pics i tried to give u a variety so u can see:

On average what my hair looked like when curly (pic is from late 2006)

What my hair has been doing lately, curls are not as defined...(pic is from august 2009)

Now this is the first time i used the diffuser over the summer...it looked great when it was first done then fell to this...

January 31st, 2011, 01:39 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Lorena... you and I have the same exact hair... haha

Do you put any curling goo in it when you dry it naturally? That really brings out the curl... there is one in particular that I like... but Im gonna have to find it

EDIT:
Buy.com - Catwalk Curl Amplifier, Curls Rock, 4 oz

That is the hair goo... it will REALLY define your curls...

I also find that as my hair gets longer they get less and less defined.

Last edited by SpankyMagoo; January 31st, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
January 31st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Amanda - thanks hon I'm looking into investing in a curling wand so now you've given this advice I'm really going to look more seriously!
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Katie** View Post
Lorena... you and I have the same exact hair... haha

Do you put any curling goo in it when you dry it naturally? That really brings out the curl... there is one in particular that I like... but Im gonna have to find it

EDIT:
Buy.com - Catwalk Curl Amplifier, Curls Rock, 4 oz

That is the hair goo... it will REALLY define your curls...

I also find that as my hair gets longer they get less and less defined.
Hmmm i will hafta try this...i use a "curl defining spray" it works decently well but i'm gonna try this one out that you mentioned. And i think the length might be an issue as well now that you brought my attention to it...i hate short hair on me, i look like a poodle but i suppose i should go for a trim.
January 31st, 2011, 06:36 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena26 View Post
Hmmm i will hafta try this...i use a "curl defining spray" it works decently well but i'm gonna try this one out that you mentioned. And i think the length might be an issue as well now that you brought my attention to it...i hate short hair on me, i look like a poodle but i suppose i should go for a trim.
I cant cut my hair super short either... I end up looking like Ronald MacDonald. I find that if I cut it a bit below my shoulder so it will curl to shoulder length or a lil longer that makes things better.... right now my hair is halfway down my back and it looks really raggedy...

Good luck with the bedhead stuff... I think it the best one Ive ever tried... (and Ive tried alot)

February 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
Lorena,
Katie hit the nail on the head. The length itself is what is pulling your curl down. I would definitely take about 3 inches off of it and have them long layer it. The layers are going to help pop the curl up as well.

The product Katie recommended is a very good one as well. I've used it several times on mine when I scrunch mine up. My curl is defined very well with that. You should also look into Bed Head Products It is an awesome product to tame frizz.

February 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks, i'm planning on trying these new (to me) products as soon as i get to the store!

Tags
ask the stylist , weekly

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search