Best of: The New York Runways (Spring/Summer 2011) Marc Jacobs

Forum: Fashion and Beauty

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fashion and Beauty LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Watch his full fashion show for S/S 2011: YouTube - Marc by Marc Jacobs - Spring Summer 2011 Full Fashion Show (Detailed)

So who is Marc Jacobs?

Born and raised in New York City he attended the New School studying in their art & design division.
He created his first line for the Marc Jacobs label in 1986
In 1987 he became the youngest ever designer to recieve the industries highest tribute: The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Perry Ellis Award for New Fashion Talent

In 1989 Jacobs joined the womens design unit of Tristan Russo as vice president and was yet again rewarded by the CFDA for his work with the Women's Designer of the Year Award

In 1994 Jacobs produced his first full line of menswear

In 1997 Jacobs joined the fashion house of Louis Vuitton as creative director and it was he who created their first ready-to-wear line. Jacobs remains in his position at Louis Vuitton to this day

In more recent years:
In May 2009, Jacobs hosted the 'Model and Muse' themed Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala in New York with supermodel Kate Moss.
In April 2010, Marc Jacobs was chosen to be among Time magazine's 100 most influential people in the world

Jacobs ignores claims by Oscar De La Renta that he is more of a copyist than a designer, but fashion critic, Guy Trebay, at the New York Times has written:
Quote:
Unlike the many brand-name designers who promote the illusion that their output results from a single prodigious creativity, Mr. Jacobs makes no pretense that fashion emerges full blown from the head of one solitary genius
Jacobs on his own clothes
Quote:
What I prefer is that even if someone feels hedonistic, they don't look it. Curiosity about sex is much more interesting to me than domination. ... My clothes are not hot. Never. Never.
All information from: Marc Jacobs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I love about his clothes (even though many are simply runway designs only and I don't see them as wearable outside of that) is that Jacobs is so outlandish, he has fun with colour and shape and this is where we see his influence trickle down into every day affordable fashion. He plays with cuts and colour an awful lot, and in spring/summer 2011 is a huge fan of the massive hat!

But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search