Now Im curious

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So we've come to the conclusion that BFing lowers your progesterone levels in order to keep you from getting pregnant while BFing. In turn it seems many mommas have had miscarriages probably due to progesterone levels that were too low to sustain a pregnancy. (This is just what I am assuming from that article and from what I have been reading.) So should we (I) not be TTC while BFing?? Im getting kind of scared now. WDYT?

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
February 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Its a difficult one! I would say that lots of moms have got pregnant and carried a healthy baby whilst breastfeeding so it is not something you can't do or shouldn't try. It is such an individual thing, the way our hormones and nursing effects us.

Having a miscarriage was very upsetting but I now understand much more why it happened to me - having a short luteal phase as a result of low progesterone. That is my goal now, to lengthen it but it has never stopped me still trying for pregnancy because sometimes an egg might just be able to make it and overide the AF hormones despite the shorter time to do so!

And remember - it is a short luteal phase which causes an early miscarriage BUT not all breastfeeding women have this defect. Why don't you chart, or take OPK, to determin how long your LP is? If its over 10 days (12 even better) then you won't have to worry at all.

Jo xxx

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
February 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Snowpeas
It is scary. I don't think my body was ready for another pregnancy when I m/c in July at 5 weeks. Perhaps it was the low progesterone then. At the time my dd was only 8 months old and my body and cycles were completely out of whack.

I am almost eight weeks right now, so certainly not out of the woods, but so far so good (fingers crossed). And although my body wasn't back to the normal it was before having Olivia, it was getting more consistent and settling down into more of a pattern.

Lots of women go on to have healthy pregnancies and babies while breastfeeding. I agree with charting, it will help you to know what your body is doing and if it is ready yet. Good luck and
February 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't normally post here but I probably should since we're trying for number 3 and still nursing.

I think it varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy. I got pregnant with Lochlann my first ovulation after having Liam and had no problems carrying him to term (40 weeks exactly). I did have spotting til about 8 weeks but continued to nurse Liam until I was about 12 weeks and he self weaned due to lack of supply (he was 13 1/2 months).

Now though we haven't been so lucky. We're on month 5 and my LP has only started to become normal again. First was 6 days, then 9 days, then 11 days, then 12 days. My cycles are really long too, the earliest I've O'ed is CD 30. I know I won't wean simply because I have sustained a pregnancy while nursing before and with a "decent" LP I have better hope for conceiving now.

Your best bet is to chart to determine if your LP is long enough and if its not work on fixing that and go from there. Mine happened to lengthen on its own but I was/am prepared to start the vitex again if need be. I still drink my red raspberry leaf tea to help.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm taking Vitex and red raspberry now Jenn. This is my third cycle. Just out of curiosity can you tell me when you took it? Did it help you very quickly? Is it supposed to lenthen your cycle as this one is going a bit out of whack - but I'm ill with flu so my charting isn't reliable. Very frustrating!
My LP is stuck on 7 and 8 dpo and I've been charting for a year.

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
February 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Quote:
I'm taking Vitex and red raspberry now Jenn. This is my third cycle. Just out of curiosity can you tell me when you took it? Did it help you very quickly? Is it supposed to lenthen your cycle as this one is going a bit out of whack - but I'm ill with flu so my charting isn't reliable. Very frustrating!
My LP is stuck on 7 and 8 dpo and I've been charting for a year.[/b]
I started taking it after my 6 day LP. I thought thats what was lengthening my LP but last cycle I ran out and couldn't get any more at the time and my LP was the longest it had been. I think it had more to do with Lochlann nursing a little less than before. And we recently night weaned (I needed my sleep and couldn't take getting up every hour for him to snack) so I think that helped last cycle too. I didn't night wean in order to conceive but I have to admit, it's a nice side effect if it works. He's down to 3 nursings now, the same Liam was when we conceived Lochlann. But I have been sticking with the red raspberry leaf tea so maybe that is helping on its own? If we don't conceive within the next cycle or two then I'm going to go back on it and see if it helps. I read that its supposed to help you ovulate sooner too so that's what I think I may need it again for. This whole TTC thing is hard enough but throw breastfeeding into it and it makes it ten times more frustrating!

February 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know! I never charted or anything first time round ttc but I wish I had as I might have known if I had a problem then (it took us 16mths to concieve and my periods were way out of whack, being very long!)

This time round I thought I'd be less stressed/concerned and it would happen easily without me even trying but I never knew breastfeeding would have this long an effect! I tried cutting the night feeds but it didn't work so day feeds have been over for two weeks now (and going well!) so I am just hoping that will be enough. Its about 9hrs of no nursing so not unlike night weaning right? But she has increased her night feeds! I'm hoping that will settle too - but a bit hard to tell at the mo as with me being ill I think I keep semi-waking her as I fidget!

But my cycles , since my miscarriage over a year ago, moved from 30 days to currently anywhere between 23 and 30! So shorter than before my daughter came along!

I've had increased fertile cm but my LP last month was 7. I started B6 this month too!

Besides weaning I'm not sure what else I can do? I've read about progesterone cream but I don't think it can be taken with Vitex?

Also - I read recently a study that said that 'natural child spacing' saw nursing women pregnant again between 24 and 30mths. My daughters almost 31 months so maybe my time isn't too far off? She has always been a more avid nurser than most her age after all!

Jo xxx

February 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
I think you should see improvement with the day weaning. I don't see how it would be any different than night weaning.

I thought about taking B6 but I read that although it can lengthen you LP it can also delay ovulation. I ovulate so late as it is I don't think I want to take that chance. I'm taking a much more laid back approach now anyway--we'll see how long that lasts though! LOL

It gets a little depressing because my youngest is 18 months today and when Liam was that old I was only a month away from giving birth! I just wish it would've happened as quickly this time.

It's getting sketchy now too because my little sister is getting married next February and I'm her matron of honor. I don't want to not try even though I may be due right around her wedding but I know it will be tricky if I am. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

February 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh thats interesting about the B6! I was expecting to have ovulated CD 14 or CD15 this cycle(based on last two cycles and ov pain etc) but it is CD19. Temping was a bit iffy though cos of having flu last week, but I had a nice temp shift today. But yeah, that will make my cycle 28 days if I have my ususal 8 days before AF...although of course I am hoping for the min 10 day! I don't really mind if B6 makes ovulation later so long as my luteal phase also gets longer!

I hope day weaning helps! I have read vague references to night weaning being better though I can't really find definite answers as to why? Not having any in the day is also starting to change how she thinks in regards to nursing too - as I think she is realising she doesn't need it. Currently she was having none between 8am and 5pm but that is shifting slightly and she is going til past 6pm without asking for it. AND she has dropped her day nap now she knows she can't have milkies with it. I was giving her cows milk and going for long walks so she'd nap but now she doesn't nod off no matter how long we're out!

Nights have been hard because she increased - and where I have been ill I couldn't sleep and kept disturbing her and she was nursing for hours at a time! But last night as I slept better she did too and even when she stirred she slept with just a cuddle or touch instead.

I feel pretty happy things are moving in the right direction there! But I wish the agnus castus was lengthening my LP already by now...

And yeah, we sort of had the same issues with wanting to get pregs but planning ahead! We need to book a holiday for October (we always go away for our wedding anniversary) and to get free child place we need to book SOON but if I got pregs now I'd be too far along to travel and we'd lose our money! Its so tough having to think like that - although for this month I am like 'I don't mind not being pregs cos we get our holiday but if I do get pregs I will be too happy to care about not going abroad!'
I'm sure if you got pregs your sis won't mind and things can be discussed nearer the time anyways!

Right - lol - sorry if the above was a long ramble!

Jo xxx

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search