NEW-introduction & questions (a bit long :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Tunyia's Avatar Member
Hello all!

First of all, I want to say how much I already LOVE this site, and this board!! I read all 33 pages when I found it, so already feel like I know you all a little bit already

By way of introduction, my name is Natalie, and DH and I have an adorable 14 mo son, Nathanael. I've BF from the beginning. We were exclusive BF the 1st 6 months, and then when we offered food he really wasn't interested at all until about 8-9 months, and didn't really seem to get into it until about 12 months. He's a good eater now, and still BF's 4-5 times a day and 1-5 times at night!

DH and I recently began talking about the possibility of another LO, and have decided we are "open" but not actively TTC (that's how we got preggo w/ #1, btw). That's all a mute point right now, because I still haven't had PPAF. For the past few months I've noticed intermittent O-like cramping, and figured I was gearing up. Then the 1st of Feb I had EWCM for the first time, and took note, thinking I'd get AF, but didn't. Of course I took a few HPT's, all neg. I thought I'd wait to see if I got the same symptoms this month. And today, after several days of achy, O-like cramping, I had EWCM. I was able to stretch it about an inch, so it looks fertile (which I know doesn't mean it is, but again, could signal it will be over the next few months). Incidently, we BD'd on the 4th, without any protection.

Finally, I'll add that we've been discussing night weaning for various reasons, though it's always been my plan to let LO self-wean. But now I'm getting what appears to be my 3rd bout of clogged duct/possibly mastitis in just under a month. I had antibiotics and it got better, but I don't believe the breast ever completely unclogged. It got engorged and hard again last weekend, and I stayed down all last Sun. w/ plenty of fluids, vitamin C, and soy lecithin, all of which I've been taking daily since. The hardness and engorgement was gone the next day, but came back suddenly last night. Not as bad, but it is a bit pink and somewhat warm. I'm dreading more antibiotics, but don't want it to turn to mastitis again.
And, I'm getting worried that it's something more serious since it keeps popping up. I think it's because LO does not suck with the same enthusiasm that he once did, so extra nursing only seems to excacerbate the problem (stimulation causes milk to let down, but then he hops off without much sucking, and none of it hard). Yet he still wants to get on.

Oh my - - - sorry that was so long! If anyone is still awake after reading that, do you know if recurrent clogged ducts (same area, btw) are common when LO's begin the weaning process? Also, my Dr mentioned last time if it didn't get better I might have to wean as a last resort - - however, I've read that weaning is the LAST thing you want to do with mastitis...

I would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice on any and all topics, or just friendly hellos! And, I found myself very teary today thinking of having to wean - - - I didn't want to be the one to do it, not if he's not ready. I know he's OK nutritionally, but I believe it they're still asking, they're still needing, at least at this age....

Thanks!!!!!
March 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM
mrslampy's Avatar Regular
welcome to the board!!!

when was yr son born? mine was born on 1/9/08. isnt it just the most amazing thing ever being a momma?

ive read also u DEF shouldnt stop BF with mastitis... i found this article interesting...
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022200.asp
it even somewhat explains yr son sucking less enthusiastically, which i found really interesting!!

i hope this helps you a little!!
dont be sad, im sure you dont have to wean
love amanda xxx

March 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Tunyia's Avatar Member
thank you! DS was born on 12/26/07 - yes, it IS amazing, more than I ever could have thought!! I appreciated the article - I'm going to try to see a lactation consultant this week. The one at the hospital where DS was born helped us IMMENSELY in the weeks after his birth, as we had lots of problems with latching, etc......
March 8th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! Many of us have had success getting pregnant without having to wean, though I am learning firsthand that the pregnancy often leads to the child self-weaning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search