How long after baby do you ovulate?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
~Jackie
How long after having a baby does your body start to ovulate if you are breastfeeding? I know that women get their period back at sporadic times, I think I was almost a year with Kailey before I got AF back, but I know you can ovulate and not have AF... so is there a certain time limit after having a baby that your body starts to ovulate? DH and I have had sex twice and done the pull-out method. He doesn't think I can get preggo and I don't think I can ovulate yet, but am I wrong? Is it possible for me to get prego right now?

TIA for the answers I'm happy either way.
April 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hiya!

Well it certainly does all depend on when you get AF back - and that varies enormously and is effected by how much your little one nurses, whether you use a pacifier, how much solids they eat, if you co-sleep (skin contact) as well as your own bodies hormones and fertility rate.

You can't ovulate and not have AF unless you catch that first egg and get pregnanct otherwise the unfertilised egg HAS to be shed which causes you to bleed.

So in other words - yes you definitely CAN get pregs before your AF, but only if it was about to come and you caught that first egg. Its imposiible to predict when that would be. But the chances are quite low in the first 6mths unless you supplement feed, express, use pacifier etc in which case your fertility returns sooner.

For me my AF returned at 9mths and I got pregs 7mths later, but miscarried. You can ovulate ut still not be fully fertile. I am still here ttc over a year on! But thats because I am stuck in the mid-way point of fertility (ovulate but short luteal phase so egg can't implant) which is rarer.

Jo xxx
April 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
~Jackie
Oh ok, thanks!!!! Good to know what's going on.
April 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Jo- great job explaining!

She said it better than I could have!
April 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Yeah, there's no way of knowing how your body will react. I have heard that the average time for fertility to return is 14.5 months. I just got my first PP AF at over 15 months. I have a friend who was breastfeeding on demand and got her first PP AF at 3 months. My sister in law got pregnant at 3 months PP while BFing her other child. And some people can't get pregnant until they wean 100%, even if it's at 2 years PP.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search