charting for dummies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I just got my first PP AF a week ago, but won't be trying this month to avoid a due date close to my son's birth day. I think we will actively try next cycle though. I have never charted in my life. What do I need to buy, just a BBT? Where do I get one? I have Taking Charge of Your Fertility but haven't started it yet. Does anyone have a cliffs notes version to share?
I have no clue what I'm doing, since Walter was an oopsie.
April 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Tunyia's Avatar Member
I got my BBT at CVS, but I hear the ones at Walgreens are very good and store up to 5 temps. I also have a copy of TCOYF but haven't finished it. I keep missing getting that 1st morning temp, even though the thermometer is right on the nightstand. I just can't seem to remember when I wake up. Thus, no charting! I wish there was a Clifs notes version too - if you find one, let me know!

btw - one more similarity with us - - - - Nathanael was also a woops!!!!! In fact, it was exactly 2 years ago today (4/28/07) that I took an hpt and got a big, bright positive! I thought I was late because DH and I were in the midst of moving from Pittsburgh to my hometown in Ohio, and I had just started a new job and had been commuting, etc....... I finally took one the day we actually moved and got the SHOCK of my life!!!!!!!!! (and, needless to say, the best blessing we could ever have imagined)!!
April 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't chart my temps anymore (it was too stressful for me) but when I did I just used a regular digital thermometer. It works just as well. I've read TCOYF a few times and there really isn't an abridged way to explain it. Just start out reading the first couple chapters to get the hang of how to chart and then skip ahead to the getting pregnant chapter and you should be good to go. Its really not as long as it looks either because a bulk of the end is appendixes, glossary, sniglets, chart forms, etc.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

April 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunyia View Post
I got my BBT at CVS, but I hear the ones at Walgreens are very good and store up to 5 temps. I also have a copy of TCOYF but haven't finished it. I keep missing getting that 1st morning temp, even though the thermometer is right on the nightstand. I just can't seem to remember when I wake up. Thus, no charting! I wish there was a Clifs notes version too - if you find one, let me know!

btw - one more similarity with us - - - - Nathanael was also a woops!!!!! In fact, it was exactly 2 years ago today (4/28/07) that I took an hpt and got a big, bright positive! I thought I was late because DH and I were in the midst of moving from Pittsburgh to my hometown in Ohio, and I had just started a new job and had been commuting, etc....... I finally took one the day we actually moved and got the SHOCK of my life!!!!!!!!! (and, needless to say, the best blessing we could ever have imagined)!!
When was your due date? I think I tested right around then too! Walter was due Jan 8.
April 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Tunyia's Avatar Member
My due date was 1/4/08, but I had a C-section 12/26/07.
April 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got my first PPAF on March 30th and we were NTNP this month but nothing came of it except a possible chemical... I would like to start charting to determine if my luteal phase is long enough (that's the time between ovulation and your period... I believe it's not uncommon for BFing mamas to have shorter luteal phases for a few cycles after PPAF)

I signed up at Ovulation Calendar and Ovulation Chart - FertilityFriend.com and they email you daily lessons, but it's pretty easy to figure it out on your own if you know a little about your fertile signs (cervical fluid, temp spike etc.) I read lesson 1 and 2 that they sent and feel pretty confident that I can get started.

Our DS was also a "whoops" so becuase he came to us so easily the pressure is off so to speak.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search