hey everyone...just read this article that makes me so sad...is this true???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hey girls! I'm in the OCT 08 PR and also TTC, and just realized this board was here!

My name is Laura (32) , married to Todd (30), have one daughter, Jolene, almost 7 months old. Nursing is going well and I plan on doing it until she reaches a year.

So, my husband and I just decided to start TTC our 2nd a few weeks ago....and I just missed the egg on that one because about 12 days after we "decided", I got my period - so, guessing (because before my daughter I was always a regular 28 day cycle) that I ovulated just a couple days before we decided!

Anyhow - can someone explain why the article says the following:

Probability of Conceiving
During breastfeeding, your body produces higher levels of the hormone prolactin, which suppresses ovulation. This alone reduces your chances of getting pregnant while breastfeeding to an estimated 1 to 2 percent. The percentage increases throughout the first year, raising the chance of conception to 6 percent after six months.

These drastically low numbers - is this just because most women don't ovulate? Here's my point - because, I got my first period at 8 weeks PP. Then basically every 6-7 weeks since. So, that means I AM ovulating, right? I would simply think that because I'm only ovulating half as often, my chances are cut in half. Why would they say this 1 to 2 % stuff??? I'm suddenly so discouraged..... :-(

any wisdom appreciated!

PS: JUST READ THIS: http://www.bellytales.com/2006/03/06...ing-lactation/ good explanations and makes me feel better!

Last edited by Thank you God!; May 6th, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
May 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I think the 6% is referring to women who have not had their periods. Once you get your period, chances are you are fertile, although it is likely you will have a short luteal phase because of the breast feeding hormones.
May 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
and what effect does short luteal phase mean again?
May 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
But remember, just because you are getting your period doesn't mean you are ovulating. You may appear to be ovulating but you might not actually be.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Laura! A fellow Oct08 playroom-ian (Although haven't been around there much..)
You are lucky that you are already getting your AF's! I *think I may have gotten mine a few days ago - not sure.
Anyhoo, I would recommend to chart, just to find out whether you are ovulating or not. Are you getting any other O signs?
Elise
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

May 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Welcome to the board I am the host Brittany and My little nursling is Ethan 10 months today. I have to agree with Kristen that the 6% is more referring to ladies who have not had a pp af but at the same time even if you are getting af it doesn't always mean you are ovulating, so best thing to try is charting your temp or even ovulation tests. A short luteal phase means that you are Ovulating later in your cycle pretty much so instead of the 14 days to O and then 14 days to af is could be more a 20 days to O and 8 days to AF.
May 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisses-4-Baby View Post
Hi Laura! A fellow Oct08 playroom-ian (Although haven't been around there much..)
You are lucky that you are already getting your AF's! I *think I may have gotten mine a few days ago - not sure.
Anyhoo, I would recommend to chart, just to find out whether you are ovulating or not. Are you getting any other O signs?
Elise
Hey Elise!
I have never done charting, and really didn't have much of a desire to - I guess I figured I didn't need to because my DH & I BD basically every day so I figured....what's the point? Plus, I go the book on Natural Family planning and it greatly intimidated me - there is SO much to it!! But, I guess now I'm seeing it would be valuable/interesting to know when I am O'ing...

I thought I noticed EWCM a few weeks back - but then I got AF only a week later so that wouldn't really make sense....so who knows.... I guess I should look into charting and temping.....or else just chill out and relax....I made the decision to BF Jolene until she is 1, so I should be content with that decision. We are just excited about TTC and really hoping we can have them close together, so I got discouraged when I started reading stuff - sometimes the internet is just bad for your emotional/mental health!

~Laura
May 7th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Heya! lol, gotta say....my proper name is Jolene too! haha!

Anyhoo....I can answer some of your questions.

Firstly it is said that there are three stages to returning fertility for nursing mms.

1st no AF or AF with no ovulation (so it IS possible to get AF without ovulating)
2nd Ovulation but too late - ie Luteal phase defect. The time between ovulation and AF needs to be at least 10 days.
3rd full fertility.

I have been stuck at stage two for TWO years! My luteal phase has been 7 or 8 on average (although I had one 5 day and two 9 day gap cycles). My PPAF came back when my daughter was 9mths old and I have been ttc ever since. I had a miscarrige 7mths later but unknown to me then that was because of the short luteal phase (egg didn't have enough time to implant before AF hormones over-ruled)

BUT good news...I am unconvinced this is entirely breastfeeding related. I have researched alot over the year and opinions are very divided as to if nursing stops SOME women concieving whilst many others seem to have no problems. Secondary infertility is also common even when women are not or never did breastfeed too so thats something else to consider. Doctors tend to not even think your worth helping until you wean and find that a conveniant excuse to explain why you can't get pregs yet. Breastfeeding experts see so many nursing mums get pregnant that they can't see a link at all either.

My theory? Well, I think that pregnancy and nursing does mess up your hormones and do all that prolactin increasing etc but that effects you by stopping you ovulating. Once you are ovulating then the nursing shouldn't be holding you back but perhaps your body just gets 'stuck' out of sync. I say this cos I finally discovered that taking B6 fixes a short luteal phase and in my first cycle of taking 200mg got a 10 day LP..and last cycle a 11 day LP. So it was 'fixed' very easily despite my daughter still nursing. Perhaps nursing just depleted me of this vital vitamin? I also take folic acid and a multivitamin daily.
But for YOU personally - and most nursing mothers - you may not have any problem and will move to full fertility easily enough. Your daughter is still young enough that you don't need to be concerned yet. If you want to increase your chances though then you could take a smaller dose of B6, like 50mg?
If you want to know if your ovulating yet - and your luteal phase - the you can either chart your temps or use ovulation sticks (very cheap on eBay). Do it for a couple of cycles until you are certain of your pattern/that your LP is fine.
If everything is good then you can just relax and let nature take its course. If you are not ovulating yet then that isn't a defect but a result of nursing and will correct itself in anothe few months or so and at least you won't get your hopes up for a BFP if you know its not yet impossible.

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
May 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks Jo for all the input! I appreciate it and feel better.

I think Jolene is a gorgeous name (obviously) and hadn't heard it till I met my husband, whose Aunt is named Jolene. I end up calling her Jo a lot :-)
May 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mum got it from the Dolly Parton song Jolene...have you heard it? My teachers used to sing it when calling my name for the register!

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search