Quick question....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Once AF shows back up again do you usually ovulate?

I am just curious. We are going to TTC right away...and I got first PP AF May3rd. I was wondering how soon you generally ovulate? I have been using OPK's but don't want to waste them if Oing doesn't usually happen while BFing. I also keep reading about m/c while Bfing. Is it that common? I am so tired emotionally of losing babies. If it is something that happens a lot I may wait to TTC for a while.

Thanks!
Bobbie

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

May 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
I would like to know the same thing actually! All I know is that with DD when AF returned (about 7-9 months PP), she came every 25 days pretty much exactly, so very regular. Whether that meant I was ovulating or not I have no idea!

Elise
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

May 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Everyone varies so much it is really impossible to say what will apply to you personally. I've seen on various boards lots of nursing mums getting pregs with no problems, even early before their child is on solids. Whereas others have to wait or miscarry or whatever.

Kellymom lists three stages to returning fertility

Quote:
Several studies have indicated that fertility and ovarian activity return step by step (Ellison 1996, p. 326-327):

Follicular activity without ovulation (No chance of pregnancy.)

1a. Menstruation without ovulation (This does not always occur--see below.)

2 Ovulation without luteal competence (After the egg is released, fertilization may take place. During the luteal phase, the uterine lining is prepared for implantation as the egg travels down the fallopian tube and into the uterus. If the uterine lining is not adequately prepared for implantation, the implantation will probably not be successful.)

3 Full luteal competence (Full fertility -- at this point breastfeeding no longer has any effect on your chance of pregnancy.)

It is possible to have one or (occasionally) more periods before you start ovulating. In this case, menstruation begins during the first stage of the return to fertility --before ovulation returns. Cycles without ovulation are most common during the first six months postpartum. For other mothers, the first menstruation is preceded by ovulation - a longer period of lactational amenorrhea increases the likelihood that you will ovulate before that first period.

A very small percentage of women will become pregnant during their first postpartum ovulation, without having had a postpartum period. Per fertility researcher Alan S. McNeilly, this "is rare and in our experience is related to a rapid reduction in suckling input."

It is not uncommon for breastfeeding mothers to report cyclical cramping or PMS-type symptoms - symptoms of an oncoming period without the period - for weeks or even months before their period returns. When this happens, the body is probably "gearing up" for the return of menstruation, but breastfeeding is still delaying the return of fertility.

The amount of time that it takes for the transition to full fertility varies from woman to woman. In general, the earlier that your menses return, the more gradual the return to full fertility.
I have been stuck on stage 2 for 2 years! My PPAF came back at 9mths but I miscarried at 16mths PP because of the luteal phase incompetence. But I have discovered B6 fixes this so I *fingers crossed* seem cured of this now despite still nursing. I only wish I had known much sooner!
But anyhoo, as you can have AF without ovulating you really need to chart or use your OPKs to find out. That will also tell you if your luteal phase is healthy - it needs to be 14 days between ov and AF ideally, or no less that 10. If it is 10 or less then you would be more at risk of miscarriage.

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
May 15th, 2009, 08:46 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Just wanted to say hello and welcome!
May 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks

I have been doing OPK's and todays looks like I may be heading in the right direction! I am going to make sure we BD tonight and tomorrow just incase I do O. It would be soooo nice to get PG and have a sticky bean without intervention this time! I do miss temping though

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

May 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just make sure you count your days between tomorrow and AF (or from whenever your OPK lines are darkest) to determin your luteal phase. If its on the short side you don't want to risk another miscarriage. They do say you should wait a year before ttc again to let your body recover fully. I only say this because you are a high-risk miscarrier (sorry for your losses, they made me sad just looking at your angel tickers) and your beautiful boy is still very young.

Make sure you take plenty of vitamins to replentish what you lost in pregnancy (calcium esp. They used to say a woman lost a tooth with each pregnancy in the older days cos the pregnancy taking calcium). Look up safe-whilst-nursing fertility herbs too. Anything to help you get and keep a sticky!

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search