I think Jayden's close to stopping BF :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel so sad about this. One day I accidently delayed his afternoon boobie by about 5 hours, and then the next afternoon, he fed for about 20 secs and stopped. He then started biting me and looking around (OUCH!!!) So now I am dried up on my left (afternoon) side I am still feeding him in the mornings from my right side but even then he feeds for a couple of minutes and gets over it. I don't want him to wean yet! What should I do? Should I just let him wean?
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

June 2nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes I would let him wean. You may think thats strange from a mum nursing an almost 3yr old but I'm doing it because I believe in self-weaning so no matter what age that is its OK because it means your child decided it by themselves and didn't feel any loss - be it 7mths or 3yrs! Children vary so much! It will also mean you are likely to get pregs again sooner and you'll probably be quite relieved to not be nursing whilst pregs - if my post-ov soreness is any indication of how sore preg boobs can get!

7mths can be quite a distractable age, not to mention teething (biggest cause of biting! D's first teeth came through at 8mths and we went through two weeks of biting) so it is possible he might want to continue at a later stage but I think - if he isn't missing it at all - that it might be easier just to draw a line under it and switch him to cups/beakers.

The main thing is you can turn around and say you gave and were willing to give. If you miss the closeness maybe try to sit down with a book once a day for a cuddle and bonding-moment. If he's not interested you may just have to accept its in his character to be more 'manly' lol

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
June 2nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks Jo! As much as I don't want to stop BF, maybe I will. But I don't wanna leave this board I really don't think he's getting anything from me anymore We cuddle alot so that is ok I guess. I just feel really emotional about it. He's such a hungry boy, and i've never really been able to give him what he needs through BF. Tonight for example, he ate a big bowl of veges, the same amount as I had! Crazy!
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

June 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats really cool. Dakota has always had a very small appetite. And she's turned vegetarian! Which is fine cos at least she LOVES veg and I don't think meat is all that important to her diet.
But Jayden is going a different direction (milkies/appetite wise) but that is just part of who he is. I'm sure he knows what he wants and thats OK. Maybe just maybe if you get pregs and have another you would let him tandem nurse if he was interested? But you can cross that bridge later on. I'm glad you still get a load of cuddles! Perhaps he feels fulfilled enough with those and doesn't need more.
Also I just thought, as he has an older sister maybe he is eager to mimick her and be 'grown up' and as he's never seen her nurse (I'm guessing) he doesn't see nursing as necessary? My daughter likes to tell me she is still a baby when I tell her boobs are for little babies and I tried giving her a baby bottle to encourage less nursing and she likes it (though treats it more like a toy) but when I packed it for her to have when she stayed at my sisters, thinking it would give her something familiar and comforting, she apparently declared to my sister in disgust 'Urgh, no, thats for babies'...lol.....so basically for other people (and esp siblings) they like to be 'grown up'........

sorry, am I rambling now!

Aghhhh, however must agree that I REALLY don't want you to leave the board and you know you so don't have to! It is a ttc board over nursing anyways so I am sure everyone here still wants to count days and compare POAS with you! And you still have a valuable questions to help us answer such as how soon will fertility return after weaning and how long it takes you to concieve even with nursing not an issue.

So STAY!!!!

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
June 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say that 7-8 months is a very distractable age! My DS dropped 2 feedings at this age b/c he did not want to hold still, he was cutting teeth, and he was taking table food. But the good news is it will pass!

Scott is 10m old now and picked back up one of those feedings once his teeth came thru.

Just keep offering the bb even more than he would normally nurse. Your supply will also come back up this way. Good luck!

June 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
COMommy3's Avatar Super Mommy
Give him a few days and see if he is just distracted and teething. They usually drop feedings when they are teething, or if your AF is on the way then your supply goes down lower. So just let him self-wean if he wants to. I am down to 2 feedings a day too, and sometimes he will want it 3 times but I won't have enough, and one side is fuller than the other. Good luck and hope that everything works out for you. That's so great he is eating a whole bowl of veggies already!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."

Proud Mommy to Skyler (4/16/08) and Bryce (4/23/10)
June 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've always had a huge supply of milk (used to pour out in a cup by itself after one squeeze) and never been 'empty'...what does that feel like? I've always wondered? (I remember reading when my D was like a few months old when it would say "let them nurse one side until empty then switch")

I also wonder if being very full is another symptom/sign of low progesterone/high prolactin as it is that unbalance that makes us produce milk? So if your supply begins to go down is it a sign of your fertility hormones increasing to normal levels?

June 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I think he is VERY distracted. Especially with an energetic sister! Ther other day, I noticed a loose bit of skin on his gums, and saw and felt a tooth coming down. The next day it was gone again and I haven't seen it since lol ...weird..
Well i'm still giving Jayden a BF in the mornings before his sister wakes up. For how much longer, I have no idea. He only feeds for a couple of minutes.

[quote=Mommy2Dakota;16066556]I've always had a huge supply of milk (used to pour out in a cup by itself after one squeeze) and never been 'empty'...what does that feel like? I've always wondered? quote]

I have no boobies left!! I am smaller than before I was ever pregnant! I am back to mosquito bites like when I was in high school
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

June 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Regular
[quote=Kisses-4-Baby;16080503]Thanks everyone! I think he is VERY distracted. Especially with an energetic sister! Ther other day, I noticed a loose bit of skin on his gums, and saw and felt a tooth coming down. The next day it was gone again and I haven't seen it since lol ...weird..
Well i'm still giving Jayden a BF in the mornings before his sister wakes up. For how much longer, I have no idea. He only feeds for a couple of minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Dakota View Post
I've always had a huge supply of milk (used to pour out in a cup by itself after one squeeze) and never been 'empty'...what does that feel like? I've always wondered? quote]

I have no boobies left!! I am smaller than before I was ever pregnant! I am back to mosquito bites like when I was in high school
My daughter is also teething. I nurse her about 4 sometimes 3 times a day but the nursing sessions have definitely become much shorter which I think is very normal at this age. The morning feeding is the best one and the longest one. The other feedings are definitely less than 10 minutes each. She is also very distracted by her sister and everything else so I guess we just have to be more patient. I would definitely try to continue nursing even if it is for only a short time, he might start nursing more once his teeth cut through. Good luck

Last edited by nats; June 4th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search