Low milk supply?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I've breastfed all 6 of my children, never not once have I have had a dip in my supply. So I was quite shocked tonight when Gavin frantically switched back n forth from one breast to another, squeezing, pinching, pulling, getting mad. I tried to hand express some milk and got nothing - not even a drop. I've heard of supply issues during pregnancy - but it's not possible at only 6 dpo..........is it? I really don't see that being possible, but thought I'd ask anyway. I even breastfed through 6 months of my last pregnancy and never had any supply issues. All day my supply seemed fine, and he didn't nurse any more through the day than he normally does.

Confused
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

June 5th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you taking anything? I know Elise (I think) had supply probs when trying Agnus Castus?

It would also be very unlikely to be directly due to implantation (although 6dpo is the earliest for implanting and a progesterone surge might have that effect on you)

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
June 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I'm not taking anything, eating drinking habits haven't changed, stress level isn't any different than normal, not sick, etc. If I conceived it's highly possible implantation was yesterday just based on past history of 8-9dpo bfp's in other pregnancies. But I definitely won't count it as a pg symptom. Just needed to hear someone else say that it was very unlikely to have a supply issue this early

Whatever the cause, I hope it fixes itself soon! I am so not ready to stop nursing.

June 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I'm stumped then! But then I've only nursed (am nursing) one child!

You could ask on this forum: Breastfeeding older babies and beyond
Mamapunkin is a mum who has nursed many children over many many years so may have some experience to give!

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
June 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
Very odd... is Gavin perhaps having a growth spurt?
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

June 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks Jo, I'll see how today goes.

Elise - I don't think he's going through a growth spurt, he's 13 months old so has actually slowed down on growing - and he hasn't been nursing more often than usual.

I'm going to try to get him to nurse a bit more often today see if that helps bring up the supply some.

June 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you had your thyroid checked? That can definately change milk supply.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013

June 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I do have hyperthyroidism - have had it for years though and it never changed my supply.

June 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Have you ever tried taking fenugreek sprouts? They are supposed to increase your milk supply with no side effects
June 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Wow, that sucks. My supply has majorly decreased with having my period now. Now that it's finished, my supply is coming back up. So I would think that the same could happen the first week into a pregnancy. Hormones are strong things!
June 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Reason found lol - I'm Pregnant!

June 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

Have you found your milk supply to continue dropping off? that is one of my main fears with a new pg...no more milk for Cory!

June 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashej View Post
Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

Have you found your milk supply to continue dropping off? that is one of my main fears with a new pg...no more milk for Cory!
One day it's fine, the next day it's very low. He nurses the same each day too so it's weird. With my last pregnancy I never had any supply issues at all. In fact, it almost seemed that I was making More milk. So dealing with the low supply is all very new and confusing to me. He seems to have plenty in the morning, but by bedtime he seems to be 'dry nursing' every night. I'll try and try to hand express and won't even get a drop of milk most nights. He eats table food too so I'm not worried about his nutrition, I just really don't want him to stop nursing yet. We've only tried giving him cow's milk once - well dh did when I was at the grocery store - and he got terribly constipated. That's never happened to any of my other kids, they all handled cow's milk just fine.

I've also noticed he doesn't seem to like the taste of the milk anymore. He still wants to nurse, but is very fidgety, latches on and off, gets mad, etc. Even when I know he's getting milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search