Question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are thinking of TTC when our son is about 9 months (he's almost 5 months now and we are NTNP) I was wondering what I can do to encourage AF to come back. He's been sleeping through the night for 7-8 hours since he was 5 weeks old (at 6 weeks PP I had some weird bleeding that I thought was AF, but nothing since). So I guess he's already "night-weaned". I started giving him rice cereal about a month ago and now he eats solids 2 times a day. He still nurses about every 2 hrs durin the day. I want to BF for up to a year or for as long as he's interested, but I might consider weaning around 8-9 months if that's what it takes. It took 6 months to conceive our son, and we don't want a space of more than 2 years...I know it's early, but I'm just thinkin ahead.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input or advice about how to encourage AF's return.

My Ovulation Chart

Last edited by wishfulgal; June 11th, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
June 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, Lily is 10 months and has been nightweaned for months and months. She eats solids 3x a day and only nurses 3-4 times. I still haven't had AF return. We would have liked to be pregnant again by now (or at least soon), but I'm not going to wean her to get pregnant. I figure AF will return when my body is ready.

I'm not sure what else you can do to get AF back, but hopefully someone on the board has more ideas.

June 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
You can try taking B-6 and Vitex! The Vitex dried up my supply so I had to stop taking it, but it does work for many women. Just start off on a slow dose and monitor your supply as you increase. About a month after taking the B-6, I got my first PP AF at 16 months. Also remember to take a good multivitamin. If you think about it, your body knows what it can handle, and at this point it apparently doesn't think it could sustain a pregnancy while nursing a little one. You can probably "trick" your body into thinking it can by eating well, resting, and taking good care of yourself. I personally wouldn't wean to get pregnant, although I know how temping it is since I waited 16 months to see a period!
June 12th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would wait a little longer rather than taking anything that might mess with your supply. My PPAF came back at 9mths and my daughter was nursing around the clock.
I have been taking Vitex (Since Dec so my D was over 2yrs old) with no side effects but for different reasons (trying to increase my luteal phase) but until AF returns I wouldn't mess with the 'natural' process iykwim....
And I hope you get your plan in regards to age-gap but as you can see not all plans come to pass (we've been ttc no2 since my PPAF 2yrs 2mths ago) so its perhaps not ideal to set to hard a time limit on things!

Seperated June 2010 from my husband. One daughter DOB 26/07/2006. BFP 06/01/2011, due september but 'high risk' for premature birth.

Hi. Im Jolene. 31 years old. I suffered three years of a short luteal phase and didnt think I could get pregnant again without medical assistance but fell pregnant by accident and naturally. I am really happy and excited to be having a baby although knowing Im going it alone this time is a bit daunting and scary!
June 12th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your advice, Kristinpie! I might try that in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Dakota View Post
I would wait a little longer rather than taking anything that might mess with your supply. My PPAF came back at 9mths and my daughter was nursing around the clock.
I have been taking Vitex (Since Dec so my D was over 2yrs old) with no side effects but for different reasons (trying to increase my luteal phase) but until AF returns I wouldn't mess with the 'natural' process iykwim....
And I hope you get your plan in regards to age-gap but as you can see not all plans come to pass (we've been ttc no2 since my PPAF 2yrs 2mths ago) so its perhaps not ideal to set to hard a time limit on things!
I do know from my own experience that not all plans come to pass and I'm *trying* to be laid back about even thinking of TTC this time around. TTC our DS was not so much fun and part of me just wants to fully enjoy him before we think about trying again. I do think things happen when they are supposed to, but I also kinda like to have a plan, if that makes sense. Good luck with your TTC journey, I hope it happens for you soon!

My Ovulation Chart
June 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Kisses-4-Baby's Avatar Super Mommy
Man o man you are lucky to have a bub that sleeps through the night!! That's awesome!

Jayden was on rice cereal with fruits and veges at about 3 1/2 months too. I also had a weird bleed at 8 weeks pp which I thought was an AF but obviously it wasn't since I had my real pp AF at 6.5 months pp. Although, Jayden wasn't sleeping through the night which I imagine would have brought my fertility back faster. So I don't think it will be too much longer before you either catch the first egg or have AF come back!!
Baby #4 Due July 7th!!

June 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I got my first PP AF at 8 weeks, and every 6-7 weeks after, then the last came at 4 1/2 weeks since the last. But really, just getting AF back doesn't mean ovulation or that you can get pregnant....really, from what I have read, every woman's body is different, and probably like the above post said, the best you can do is take care of yourself. We started TTC our second about 2 months ago - and I struggled with whether or not I should wean her (I planned on bf'ing till she is 12 months and can go right to cow's milk)....I decided I should do what is best for the child I have right NOW, for me it's the decision that gives me peace, because I know how far superior breastmilk is for her health. But I'm like you - I really want my kids less than 2 years apart. Good luck, you will get good advice and support here!!
June 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to agree that doing things to encourage AF to come back may not be such a good idea b/c it can cause your supply to drop. How long are you hoping to BF your LO?

Also remember that AF does not always mean you are Oing

You mentioned that it took you 6m to get pg with your LO. Having a baby really changes your body. For some women it really straightens them out! My neighbor tried for over a YEAR to get pg with her DS and now she is pg with #2 after just 3 months of NTNP. I had a hard time getting pg with DD but DS came pretty easily comparitvly.

I hope that this time around you will get pg much easier.

BTW my children are 3y a part and I love the age difference b/c DD was fully potty trained before DS came a long

June 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kixs*~ View Post
I have to agree that doing things to encourage AF to come back may not be such a good idea b/c it can cause your supply to drop. How long are you hoping to BF your LO?

Also remember that AF does not always mean you are Oing

You mentioned that it took you 6m to get pg with your LO. Having a baby really changes your body. For some women it really straightens them out! My neighbor tried for over a YEAR to get pg with her DS and now she is pg with #2 after just 3 months of NTNP. I had a hard time getting pg with DD but DS came pretty easily comparitvly.

I hope that this time around you will get pg much easier.

BTW my children are 3y a part and I love the age difference b/c DD was fully potty trained before DS came a long
My goal has always been to BF for at least 9 months up to a year. I will probably wean around 12 months-ish no matter what.

I've also heard that things can be easier the second time around. My friend tried for over a year to conceive her 1st child and then her 2nd was born 13 months later.

Why would you get your period back and not ovulate? I've heard of this but don't understand why your uterus would shed it's lining and all if it's not driven by the hormonal cycle that causes ovulation, etc. Or is it just part of the process of your body gearing up to be fertile again?

Kristinpie, how much Vitamin B6 did you take? I think I will definitely hold off on the Vitex unless I am really desperate though.

Thanks for all the input!

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search