Supply dropping once you get pregnant

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Anyone else done this before? I've been reading and a lot of articles say that your supply drops when you get pregnant That makes me really sad.

June 27th, 2009, 06:01 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Yes and No. My last pregnancy my supply didn't change at all. In fact, some days it seemed like I had Extra milk.

But this pregnancy, I noticed a supply drop 2 days before my bfp (which was 3 weeks ago tomorrow) and I am still really struggling with supply. I've been drinking as much water as I can but it's not helping I believe the taste of the milk changed also, my son doesn't seem to like it anymore - but still wants to nurse.

So it's different for every body, and different for each pregnancy too I guess.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

June 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I just got my BFP and haven't had any change yet. I usually do before AF so I thought that was weird. I just got it yesterday though so things are still very early.
June 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I got pregnant with my youngest while nursing my daughter. My supply completely vanished, but she still continued nursing. In fact I'm still tandem nursing them both.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine did. I had nothing left by the end of my first trimester and he weaned at that point. Very sad.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM

On a positive note, there are several moms in the LLL I go to who are pregnant and nursing and things are going great, no issues.
June 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a dip around 8-10 weeks I believe, but it came back. Then DS weaned completed around 20 weeks.

June 28th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I don't want to wean her.

June 28th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
I don't want to wean her.
Well if it did happen, she would be the one making the decision at least, deciding she didn't like the taste or the low supply. Better than that forcing her to stop cold turkey like many people do, ya know? I wouldn't say you would be weaning her in that situation, I would still consider it self weaning, just for different reasons.
June 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Well if it did happen, she would be the one making the decision at least, deciding she didn't like the taste or the low supply. Better than that forcing her to stop cold turkey like many people do, ya know? I wouldn't say you would be weaning her in that situation, I would still consider it self weaning, just for different reasons.
I agree!

I will admit I cried for a few days when Liam weaned but it was ultimately his decision. I still offered he just wasn't interested because there wasn't anything there. That being said, I was also extremely sick with my pregnancy and threw up every single thing that went in my mouth starting very early on. I had to go on meds just to keep water down and it lasted until about 20-21 weeks. Had I not been so sick who knows what would have happened to my supply.

For every woman that lost her supply and her child weaned there is another who's child nursed right on through.

And just because the taste may change or your supply may drop doesn't mean she will want to wean. She may decide she wants to nurse right through those changes. Or she may back off for a bit and decide later she wants it again. You just never know what will happen.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My supply dropped by the time I was in the end of my second, beginning of my third trimester. Jonah still wanted to nurse though and he did all the time.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013
July 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My supply vanished and I have been starving my sweet little boy for a month!!! I feel absolutely terrible for him. I (out of curiosity since he wasn't gaining, and seemed to be LOOSING weight) offered him 7oz of homo milk after our evening feed and he drank every.last.one. I cried! I have almost NO milk, but I still nurse him in the mornings for comfort. I hope once the baby gets here he will be able to pick it back up. So sad.

July 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
You don't have to wean her, she may want to continue nursing even though your supply may dip or vanish. Nursing is so much more than just milk.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search