First time TTC while BF-updated

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I'm new to this, so not really sure what to expect, but I'm definitely confused...

I had my son at the end of May (he's 3 months now). He is not nursing, but I am pumping and he has breastmilk almost exclusively. I used to pump every 3 hours, but my supply has increased so I don't do it as often. He's also been sleeping 7 hours, so I usually only pump once at night.

I'm almost positive AF has already returned though. Nearly 30 days after giving birth I bled for ~5 days, and then again another 30 days later. I didn't think the first time was a period, but exactly 30 days later I bled again, so I just assumed it was AF. Like the doctor said, I'm probably just really fertile. I really don't know if I've O'd though - I used a few OPKs this month, but not every day. If my cycle is now around 29-30 days, I should have gotten it 4 days ago. Still no signs, yet two HPTs came back BFN.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else started AF so soon after birth? Did the cycle length fluctuate? I don't want to get obsessed again with HPTs but I'm not sure how long I should wait before taking another.

JoEm

Last edited by JoEm; August 31st, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
August 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine too came back that fast. My LP has ranged from 8-9dpo this cycle I am on 11dpo. I started taking B6 this cycle and I am hoping that is what is helping get it closer to normal. I have done OPK's and charted CM and do check my cervix. I have Oed on CD 16,25,21,16. TTC while breastfeeding is frustrating. Without really paying attention to what your body might be doing it's so hard to tell if you might be late.

My cycle lenghts that I have paid attention to have been: 33 days, 26 days, 30 days, so far 27days (AF isn't here yet)

I hope that helps.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

August 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can always buy OPKs from Ebay for cheap. I did that and did them 2x daily. I only had one PPAF though and it was when Lily was about 10.5 months old. I got pregnant right after that though.

August 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's helpful to see that it's possible for me to ovulate ouside of the 'normal' range for my cycle.

So now I'm on CD 36 and still no sign of AF. I decided that I should pay closer attention to what my body is doing, so I got some OPKs and a BBT thermometer, although I'm not sure I'll be able to temp since my DS is still getting up at odd hours.

I took an OPK for the past 3 days, and the one I took this morning actually looks like a positive - now I'm really confused. Is it possible to ovulate this late? The OPKs I took earlier in the month during the week I would have been fertile if my cycle stayed regular at 29 days barely showed a test line at all. [I know there's no 'degree' of positive with an OPK, but clearly my levels were different then]

Does anyone else have experience ovulating this late in a cycle while BF? it really is tough trying to figure out what my body is doing right now. I wish I had more info to cross-check to know if I really am ovulating, but right now all I have is the OPK.

JoEm

Last edited by JoEm; August 28th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
August 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would take another HPT. I've heard OPKs can be positive when you are pregnant. Although if you are having areally long cycle, I suppose you could ovulate this late.

My Ovulation Chart
August 31st, 2009, 12:46 PM
So maybe I'm still in the running this cycle after all. This week I started taking OPKs each morning. CD34 and CD35 were clearly negative. On CD36 I thought it might be positive but wasn't really sure (as I mentioned in my last post), but then on CD37 I could barely see a test line. I figured I missed my surge if I had one at all. Then on CD38 and CD39 (today) I got glaring positives! There's no mistaking that the test line was waaayyy darker than the control line.

So now I'm wondering, does anyone know if you can have a surge with no egg released? Hopefully that's not the case this time. back to the 2ww - I forgot how long this time feels!

[oh yea, I did break down and take another HPT and got a BFN - so that's definitely not what's delaying AF]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search