Ovulation Question -- Xposted

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
hildyv's Avatar Regular
First time posting here. My husband and I are thinking about TTC in the next few months. My only problem is that my period still hasn't come back. I had my daughter in Aug 2008, so it has been 14 months. I know that you can get pregnant without having had any periods, but it was always my assumption that women who got pregnant under that circumstance just happened to catch their first egg, and they would have gotten their period a short time afterwards if they did not get pregnant.

Now, one of my friends says that I am wrong, and I could have been ovulating all of these months, and never gotten a period. Which one is it? Do you always get a period after ovulation, if it doesn't result in a pregnancy, or can you ovulate with no period afterwards?
October 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildyv View Post
I know that you can get pregnant without having had any periods, but it was always my assumption that women who got pregnant under that circumstance just happened to catch their first egg, and they would have gotten their period a short time afterwards if they did not get pregnant.
This is correct. When that happens, it means the woman was just lucky enough to catch the first egg. If conception did not occur, she would get her first PPAF shortly after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildyv View Post
Now, one of my friends says that I am wrong, and I could have been ovulating all of these months, and never gotten a period.
Absolutely not! If you ovulate, you will menstruate unless conception occurs. Lack of menstruation indicates lack of ovulation.

BFing affects every woman's fertility differently. Some women get their fertility back right away, despite nursing. Others get it back when something changes - like baby sleeps longer at night or starts solids. Others experience BFing infertility right up until they wean, or even later. It sounds as though you may be once of those women. You could ovulate at any time now, or it could still be weeks/months away. You can begin charting your cervical mucus just to see if there is any hormonal activity yet in terms of fertility. If you experience the exact same CM day after day for 2 weeks, then nothing is happening yet. If you are noticing changes in your CM, then it means your hormones are fluctuating and your body is thinking about returning to fertility. If you need more information on that, don't hesitate to visit us at the NFP/FAM board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search