BFing While Pregnant...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2010, 07:01 PM
foxfire_ga79
Hello!
I lurk here sometimes and now I have a question. Well, several.
DH and I have decided we do want another baby and would like to TTC next fall for a summer 2012 baby. By next September Ivy will be 21 months, and I hope to still be nursing then. (She'll be 1 in December, I don't know where the time went!)
Anyway, I've had 2 cycles recently, starting when she was 9 months old. They seem totally normal and I was able to track ovulation so it seems everything is functioning again even though we're still BFing.

How will getting pregnant affect BFing? Before my periods my nipples get so sore, it's terrible. And I think my supply drops then too. Will these things happen in pregnancy? What are the chances I'll stop lactating because I'm pregnant? I wasn't planning on nursing her much past 2 years old, but I don't want the pregnancy to suddenly end BFing for us.

And I've always wondered how milk composition is when tandem nursing. The new infant has different nutritional needs than a toddler. How does a woman's body accomodate two different aged children?

Thanks!
December 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Not sure if you check this forum anymore or even remember making this post but figured I'd at least respond for any lurker who comes by .

How will getting pregnant affect BFing? Some kiddos lose interest right away, some kiddos lose interest when the supply drops, some when the taste turns saltier and some wont care at all.

Before my periods my nipples get so sore, it's terrible. And I think my supply drops then too. Will these things happen in pregnancy? Most women get sore nips but only during the latching on. That's just few seconds of pain per boob. I think most women experience a drop in supply but not all.

What are the chances I'll stop lactating because I'm pregnant? I wasn't planning on nursing her much past 2 years old, but I don't want the pregnancy to suddenly end BFing for us. I think that first and foremost you'll have to decide whether you want to continue. I personally want to continue breastfeeding but I think that right now weaning would be fairly easy. DD was nursing 10+ times a day at 22 months but right now she nurses 1-3x a day and that is often with me prompting her. My supply is almost gone. If I wanted I could easily distract her and wean.

And I've always wondered how milk composition is when tandem nursing. The new infant has different nutritional needs than a toddler. How does a woman's body accomodate two different aged children? From what I've read the milk composition will be correct for the newborn. I suppose the body knows from pregnancy and birth that there is a new baby and that the new baby needs the milk.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Both of my older children weaned when I was pregnant. My son made it til 20 weeks before he weaned, so he was 19-20 months old. My daughter weaned at about 12 weeks pregnant, just before her first birthday.

February 19th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran
I guess Fluga answered your questions long time agooo. So I'm just wishing you and your children well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search