Did your mother breastfeed?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Here's a question for you ladies, did your mother breastfeed? I am wondering how much what our parents before us did effects what we choose to do. For me my stepmother raised us and yes she did breastfeed.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Super Mommy
Yep!
Waiting for #2!
</div>
June 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep! We were all self weaned

June 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
No one in my family breastfed at all, but I have a supportive family which is great

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

June 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She did until I weaned at 15 months. She was not able to nurse my brother due to severe PPD and some medicaitons she needed to take. When I wanted to give up with my son she was my biggest cheerleader to keep going!

June 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, and she had unmedicated births too! She has been a HUGE supporter of my bfing and really encouraged me when everyone else was telling me to stop-including dh.

June 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
no. its a long story but my mother almost died having me and they kept her on drugs to be almost comatose for so long her milk either never came in or dried up before she was really aware of anything.
I also didnt have formula. I went straight to regular 2% milk.

I was one sick little baby.

June 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom did, but only exclusively until she had to go back to work at 6 weeks and then she continued to breastfeed morning and night until about 6 months when she dried up.

June 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Veteran
Yes. I was until about 12 mos. So I knew I wanted to when I had my little guy. She didn't have any trouble with any of us (4 children in all). I had lots of trouble in the beginning and she didn't know what to do. Thankfully I had the best lactation nurse who helped me persevere.

Live in Joy and Peace and Pass It Onto Others!

Check out my baby's blog:
Baby Justice's Page

Jeremiah 29:11

</div>
June 14th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Super Mommy
No! but for some reason i have always been pro-breastfeeding and thought she did breastfeed. until SIL informed me she asked and no mum didn't!! she tried with the first, but had a lot of trouble so gave up and then with the rest of us (3 more) didn't. I was a bit bummed... isn't it silly but i had so much trouble breastfeeding for four months and I just thought no i can do this, i'm not going to give up.. and well I found out later mum didn't even try to bf me and felt a bit disappointed. this is after telling another friend who found out she wasn't breastfed how much it didn't matter!!! but then ifound out i wasn't either and i rang her and said you know what i'm cut too - and then we had a good laugh about it!! i was a sick babe so i couldn't help but think that bf would have benefited me so much, but then again, mum didn't have family close by to support her and i was the 3rd child and already she had a 2 and 3 year old as well..and i know how much it can hurt in the beginning, and i had gone to bf'ing classes so supposedly i even 'knew how' to do it...so i do understand how you could be put off by it..

June 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My mom bf'ed me until 3 months, though not exclusively. And my brother until 6 weeks. She didn't know any better to continue. I think her mom bf'ed her kids until 6 months...including my mom and her twin brother! My dad's mom bf'ed my uncle until he was 4 months when they got in a car wreck that killed her dh and broke her hip. She was in the hospital for a few months and they just gave her a shot to dry her up instead of allowing her to pump or anything. She didn't try to bf any of her other kids (3 more with my gpa). Only one of my cousins bf'ed, and that was just for mat leave. I'm the only extended/exclusive nurser in my family that I am aware of!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 24th, 2006, 05:34 AM
~TreeGrl~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom did, even while prego with my brother. She seems to think the tandem nursing effected him negatively.... I tell her that that is ridiculous. She also had unmedicated births. In my mind, from the beginning, formula just wasn't an option. It made no sense to me to give a baby something made in a lab when I have what he needs. And I was determined to not use drugs at his birth either. I didn't.
June 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
not sure how i missed this post...

i was BF for 9 months. mom says the length of time went down a few months for each of my three younger siblings, though.

having only been able to BF my son for 2 months and 8 days, I have officially BFed my little girl longer. i'm so proud.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

June 25th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Kelle's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Kelle Send a message via MSN to Kelle Send a message via Yahoo to Kelle
Nope!

She thinks it's GROSS

1 year

18 months

21 months

still ebfing my 7.5mo old, tandem nursing my almost 3yo, cloth diapering, baby wearing, erfing my 6 yo, semi crunchy mommy - pregnant or nursing for over 7 years!
July 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My older brother and I were bottle fed (I believe carnation milk was the choice) but she did breastfeed my younger brother. (there are 7 yrs between me and my younger brother). This was due to society--when my older bro and I were born it was only if you were poor that you breastfed, by the time my younger brother came along it was the in thing to do. She breastfed him till 11 months when he ended up in the hospital for something (he was in for a few weeks) no one advised her that she could continue nursing, and her doctor ended up quite upset that she wasn't advised to keep on, by that time she had dried up.
July 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Veteran
Yes, my mom breastfed all seven of us girls. I was the shortest in duration nurser at 9 months and the longest was the second last sister at 3.75 years. I think that seeing my mom nurse us was part of the reason why I knew it was the best way to go.
Expecting #2 in October
July 5th, 2006, 08:27 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
she pumped briefly while i was in the nicu but i was straight ff after that.

July 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 32... So I was born in the 70's. Back then it had became popular for most women to formula feed, to the point of where my mom said no one she knew breastfed. It just was out of practice.

But my mom is 100% supportive of my breastfeeding her grandchild. Times have changed! Thankfully breastfeeding seems to be back "in style" now. Educating women about how good breastfeeding is for babies is so important... Not that I would criticize a formula feeder.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
July 6th, 2006, 04:37 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm 32... So I was born in the 70's. Back then it had became popular for most women to formula feed, to the point of where my mom said no one she knew breastfed. It just was out of practice.

But my mom is 100% supportive of my breastfeeding her grandchild. Times have changed! Thankfully breastfeeding seems to be back "in style" now. Educating women about how good breastfeeding is for babies is so important... Not that I would criticize a formula feeder.[/b]
you know kallie, i've talked with my grandma about this... she's 84 years old, and had her children in 1951 and 1955... she said that both times her doctor told her that the babies weren't learning, and weren't growing, or she wasn't doing it right, and advised her to switch right to formula. I would hate to have had her pediatrician!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search