Breastfeeding preventing pregnancy?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been asking a similiar question on other boards around here, but I thought I would post it here. My period came back when DD was 9 months old (now, almost 18 months). My first 4-5 cycles were normal, 30-35 days, I could tell when I ovulated and my luteal phase appeared to be about 13-14 days. I started charting in August or September. My period was due to start right before Halloween, but I got a little suprise when 3 days before it was due, I started spotting. I spotted 4 full days then had my usual 4-5 days of flow. The next cycle, I spotted about a week before ovulating, then again, I spotted several days before my period, which isn't normal for me. This last cycle, the same thing. I spotted after ovulating, this time, a few days afterwords, then spotted several days before my period. The thing is, my luteal phase is all over the place. The most has been 14 days and this past cycle, FF says 12 days, but I think I ovulated a day later, which would put it at 11 days. I'm worried that is too short for me to be able to carry out a pregnancy. I had someone suggest that the spotting could be a sign of that, but I'm beginning to think that really is the case. I'm ready to try for another one, but I hate to go through months of disappointment because I can't even sustain a pregnancy. Has anyone gone through this and is there anything I can do, short of weaning?

January 7th, 2008, 07:22 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Well breastfeeding will make things wacky for getting pg. Your body is producing prolactin and that can make it so that you cannot get pg and mess with hormone levels.

SOme ladies do not get regular for weeks if not months after weaning.

For me personally I have never weaned to get pg. I dont' feel right doing that for ME. I would feel like I was putting off one child for another. But thats just for me in how I feel about it for myself.

If you feel that weaning would be the only way to get pg and get regular and you feel in your heart you are ready to do, go for it. But if you have doubts, don't wean.

((((HUGS))))

January 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Regular
hey everyone i have a 2.5 year old and a 8 month old been trying to get prego again for the last 2 months and i am also breastfeeding my 8 month old just wondering if there are anyone that could let me know whats up ...and if i can get prego while breastfeeding i heard that it is very tough and then i also heard that it is not good to breastfeed while you are prego again cause it takes away from your new baby to be ????????????????????????? i got my eriod back 5 weeks after i had my 8 month old and they are pretty regular the odd months it is a little off but not very often ????????????????????
January 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
~TreeGrl~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just popping in to say that I bf my ds until he was 2 and during that time I had 2 pregnancies, so it is possible to get pregnant, and I know that many women who posted on this board for a time went on to get pregnant. My pregnancies unfortunately ended in losses, one ectopic, and one I carried for 9 1/2 weeks. Neither losses are in anyway related to nursing.

I would say, just keep close tabs on your cycles. Mine always surprised me. Even in my last cycle I expected ovulation on the CD18 and ended up Oing probably on day 14.

Andi, talk to your doctor. I have a friend who was just told her luteal phase was short and the dr. didn't seem to think she would have a problem getting pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search