How Big Is Big?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
daisygarten's Avatar Jenn ~ Mom of 3+2
I think 4-5. For some reason, when the children are very young and close in age, a family can seem very large. We're going for #5, who would be our first together. Many reactions have been those sighs of "are you crazy?" Those with "small" families don't know how fun a bigger group can be
May 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think "big" is a totally relative word and means different things to different people. I'm still TTC #1, but I know I want at least 4... more if we can afford it! 4 does not seem big to me, just happy and busy. To me, I guess 6+ means "big" but NOT "bad", as some seem to equate it. I really really hate comments from smug people who say things like "You'll see!" "You must be nuts" etc. etc. What the heck is with people thinking they can make such rude comments to other people about something as personal as family size? And don't get me started on the population control snobs... it's an important consideration, but the US is hardly the problem with an average family size of 3.5. I really think it should be about individual personalities and desire to put years into parenting. If parenting is something you love and feel called/drawn to do, and you are putting quality, caring, educated people into this world, then I say God bless you!

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
May 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
luvHim's Avatar Expecting #6
I grew up in a family of 5, my dh in a family of 8. So I'm hoping we can come somewhere around those two numbers. #5 is on its way and I'm so excited!! I love, love, love my children. I love seeing the word through their eyes. In fact, I've almost got a book complete and ready for publishing about raising our 4 young kiddos. They make life so interesting - never a dull moment!

I think the older your children get, the easier it looks to have 6 or more. The older ones can help with the younger ones and that takes quite a burden off of you. My oldest is 7 and I rely on him quite a bit.

Loving4 mentioned the comments people make. I heard a good one spoken by a father of 12. They had about 7 or 8 with them and got a comment about how big their family was. He replied, "Oh, you should see how many we left at home?!!!"

D~10 T~8 M~7 L~5 W~2

Angel #4
6wk6d February 11, 2012

June 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Blondie3412's Avatar My baby monkey.....
I grew up in a family of 6, and my fiancé in a family of 4. I think nowadays 4 or more is considered large. I would LOVE to have a house FULL of kiddos, but #4 will be our last. We don't have the room for more, and we will not be building our house for a couple more years. And, to be just a bit selfish, I would like to have the second half of my life to be my fiancé and I living alone.. LOL...

June 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Nurse Brit's Avatar very excited mommy-to-be
I would say anything more than 4 is a large family. At least with 4 you can comfortably fit in most SUVs and vans.

I think I would love to have a large family of 4 to 5 kids, but considering we have not even had one yet I guess it is too early to know.

I love large families though and think each child is a gift from God.
June 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
I am very impressed with your responses to this thread ladies!

I am the oldest of 13 kids and where we come from, large families were normal. I used to think that parents with 1 or 2 kids was a little strange, I mean, who did they have to play with?

June 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
just lurking and I think you all are awsome!!!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
June 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Well we have 7 so far. I like to think of us as a small-big-family. I'm hoping for MANY more! It would be wonderful to be among the ranks of those Mega-mamas!
June 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Momof2surro2
Yvette we are on the exact same cycle of TTC I would love to have a big family
June 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurker here....I am expecting my 5th child (all C-section!!!!) and when I announced my last pregnancy my parents looked like they were going to die. My younger sister made jokes about me needing to remove my uterus or something of the sort...just mean!!! and everyone asked me afterwards if I had my tubes tied. (As if it was their business!!!) I have 4 boys and me and DH want a girl so badly we could die, so my family size is gonna be determined by when we get our DD. I will not be happy until my family is complete in that way, plus my boys really want a sister, too. I think as long as you are taking care of your family that it is no ones business how many kids you have. I just think that most people cannot wrapped their minds around having that much love to give, besides that kids are so much more entertaining than TV!!!

June 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
4 children doesn't strike me as large, but 5 kids is the beginning of large!!
June 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well we have 7 so far. I like to think of us as a small-big-family. I'm hoping for MANY more! It would be wonderful to be among the ranks of those Mega-mamas!
de-lurking to say that this is the way I feel. People describe us as a large family and it surprises me because I don't feel that my family is that large, however where I live having 7-8dc is considered normal. I'd love to have at least 14 but we'll see...

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search