New here...looking for answers to 'those comments'

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
MrsTeacherMommy6's Avatar Regular
Hello Mommies,

I am a mother of 5, ages 8, 4, 2, 2 and 10 months. I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and dreading telling family members and others.

How did you deal with non-congratulatory remarks? I feel I'm too fragile emotionally and may either give them a piece of my mind or shut down.

Because I just had my son 10 months ago, I already have a little pouch and folks are look twice at work (where I also catch grief).

Help!
March 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just say things like "yes, we have been blessed again" or if they are rude I say things like "you don't pay my mortgage so your opinion doesn't really count." Depends on the person and if they are being rude or simply making the silly comments I hear daily. I realize if you respond positively you get a better response, it's almost like they are waiting for a negative comment so they can say "well, why did you get pregnant again?!" I also have said to people "We make such beautiful amazing children we figured why not have another one?" People expect negativity in our culture, so shooting out something positive usually is a better way to go. Oh, and who cares what others say? As long as you and your family are happy! Congrats!!!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

March 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Sweetie, you need to just ignore them and if they keep at it, tell them you do not appreciate their judgment as they have no right to do so.

Congrats mama!

March 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I know the feeling, my 5th was 10 mos old when I got pregnant with my 6th and got horrible remarks from both sides of the family. We are now TTC again (my youngest will be 11 mos tomorrow) and when we conceive we arent telling either side of the family at all. We don't see them very often, so once they notice, then they notice and we'll deal with it then.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

March 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
Tell them when you HAVE too.Maybe you be emotionally better by then.People only make rude comments to get you going,I say kill'em with kindness.Let them know who happy you are about having the baby.I hope the very best for you and your family.

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

March 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Cmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
When I got pregnant w/ #4 I sent out an e-mail. I said we were very happy and if they didn't have anything nice to say then keep it to themselves. I didn't get any negative cooments from any family then.
DS - 9-18-03
DD - 3-5-05
DS - 9-7-07
DS - 3-24-10
m/c 2-14-09 Job Andrew @ 11 wks - EDD 9/3/09
m/c 5-19-09 @ 5 wks 6 days - EDD 1/13/10

It's a BOY!! - Matthew Malachi - EDD 5-5-10 - pProm 2-10-10 @ 28 weeks - Born 3-24-10 - 6 weeks early & 6 weeks after my water broke! 5lbs. 17 3/4"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search