Charting / Knowing you ovulated

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does having a chart that indicates ovulation mean that you definitely did ovulate? I ask because I was talking to my Dr today and I mentioned that I am trying to gain weight because being underweight can interfere with fertility and that I read mainly it can cause you not to ovulate. But that it does appear that I'm ovulating. And then I said I was underweight according to the BMI.

Then right after that, my Dr said she didn't totally trust the BBT. And at the time for some reason I thought she meant the BMI, but then I thought...maybe she thinks I am not ovulating despite the fact my charts look like I am and I DID get pregnant before.

What do you think? I was talking to her while she did an exam so my mind wasn't completely straight.

April 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Jennifer-in-Italy
If you show a sustained thermal shift(for the length of your LP), a normal length LP, and the proper CM changes, I would trust your chart.
April 16th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would trust your chart. If you were annovulatory you wouldn't have a thermal shift and your cycles would be very long. Unless the doctor did some tests to establish ovulation just trust your chart.

April 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can trust your chart. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors aren't overly informed about fertility and charting, you may have yourself one of those. If so, she may have said she doesn't trust the BBT because she doesn't know much about how that all works!
April 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I think maybe she isn't quite as informed about charting...she was asking me why my chart didn't show a drop the day of ovulation and why my temps varied so much doing the luteal phase. I told her probably because my wake up times vary. She said she found charting too stressful and that "anyone who does all that is really committed to having a baby"

I do think that my charts indicate that I am ovulating. WDYT? I guess I am just looking for reasons that I haven't gotten pregnant again and so I'm obsessing over things like a long AF and being underweight.

April 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think maybe she isn't quite as informed about charting...she was asking me why my chart didn't show a drop the day of ovulation and why my temps varied so much doing the luteal phase. I told her probably because my wake up times vary. She said she found charting too stressful and that "anyone who does all that is really committed to having a baby"

I do think that my charts indicate that I am ovulating. WDYT? I guess I am just looking for reasons that I haven't gotten pregnant again and so I'm obsessing over things like a long AF and being underweight.[/b]

How long have you been trying? 6-12 months is considered a normal time frame for TTC. Being underweight can definitely affect things though.
April 16th, 2008, 07:30 PM
6 cycles of TTC since the miscarriage. It only took us 2 cycles last time.

I read the main thing being underweight affects is that you may not ovulate. But it looks like I am? What else can being underweight do?

I eat like crazy but I still don't gain weight. My thyroid is normal. I have a fast metabolism, but according to the BMI, I'm underweight.

April 17th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I used to be underweight due to a fast metabolism as well. People actually thought I was anorexic because I was so thin, but no matter how much I ate or what I ate I just couldn't gain an ounce. It took having 2 kids to get into normal BMI range! I used to have very abnormal cycles that would last up to 6 months, but a rather bad hormonal imbalance runs in my family. If it is your own metabolism maintaining your own weight then it shouldn't effect your fertility. Your body is doing what its own processes are used to doing. It looks like you are ovulating, I'm just wondering if stress or the m/c is slowing things down for you right now.

We just hit cycle 6 of TTC and my OB has already ordered an SA for DH. I go in in July for testing. Since you got pregnant so quickly last time they may be willing to run tests for you well before the 1 year mark. If necessary you could find another doctor that understands more about your efforts and would be more willing to help.

Good luck!

April 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Quote:
If it is your own metabolism maintaining your own weight then it shouldn't effect your fertility. Your body is doing what its own processes are used to doing. It looks like you are ovulating[/b]
Thanks! That is what I have been hoping/thinking.

I am going to have some CD 3 tests done next cycle, LH, FSH, and some other things. Plus my Dr has said she will prescribe a low dose of Clomid or Femara if I would like. She didn't think the testing was really necessary since I have conceived before, but she knows I'd like to have it done. She didn't think a SA was necessary either but next time I see her I am going to tell her that I really want to have that done before taking any meds.

April 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck, I hope all of your tests come back fine.

April 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had bad experiences with doctors and charting. I actually had one who told me I must be crazy to be doing this, that I was obsessed, and that it was unhealthy! I was like... what? It take 5 minutes a day in total to record these things. lol.

She also told me 3 (different types) of HPT's must be wrong, b/c I was only on CD 25 (I had O'd on CD12) and I couldn't possibly get a positive test that early.

In short, looking at your chart, you have clearly Od. I think all ob/gyns need to take a charting class.

also- you need to be REALLY underweight to have it effect Oing, I though. Being on the small side and just under sugguested BMI is fine. I think under 18 BMI is when it can effect your fertility/

April 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Quote:
also- you need to be REALLY underweight to have it effect Oing, I though. Being on the small side and just under sugguested BMI is fine. I think under 18 BMI is when it can effect your fertility/[/b]
If I go by my scale at home and/or I go by my weight in the morning before I eat anything, I am under 18 on the BMI. If I go by my weight at the doctor's office, after I had eaten lunch, I am right at 18.

April 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My BMI used to be around 17.2 and I still had my DD. Don't let it worry you too much or the stress will cause you problems!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search