When to DTD

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
ANGWife
So we aren't ready to TTC just yet, but I want to start getting prepared. I chart and usually know when I am going to O.

When is it best to DTD? Since the temp doesn't spike until afterwards, I only have my CF to tell me when it's coming. I get EW CF for like 4-5 days each cycle. I can't possibly DTD each of those days. What are those tests called? OPKs? Alright that may totally not be it lol but I'm curious about those things. And how do you use them? Where do you buy them?

I really respect your advice Oh yeah.... only 2 more cycles!!!!
April 23rd, 2008, 04:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can buy OPKs in just about any store that sells HPTs. They're in the same section and usually mixed together a bit from what I've seen. Depending on the test you'll either use it as a midstream test or you'll use a cup and then dip the test into it. You can buy them online as well. I used the Answer Dip Sticks last cycle and had no problems at all, though if you're willing to pay more the digital OPKs are far easier to read.

If DTD every day isn't an option for you then aim for every other day. Once you get a positive OPK try to DTD for a few days in a row if you can. If you can't then every other day should still cover your bases.

I hope this helps!

April 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Jennifer-in-Italy
Once EWCM occurs, you want to try and DTD every other day. If you usually O around teh same cycle day, you can start trying to DTD about a week before O and do every other day until you know you have O'd
April 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sjkduke Send a message via Yahoo to sjkduke
OPKs are a wonderful tool to use to help detect when you O. Charting your temps will only tell you when you O after the fact, whereas OPKs will tell you when you're getting that hormone surge right before you O.

Good luck when you start trying, hon!

April 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
CF is your first earliest warning sign of ovulation. It is produced when your estrogen levels begin to rise in order to bring about the process of ovulation. This is the order in which things happen:

Estrogen begins to rise, which tells the cervix to start producing CF.
Estrogen levels rise higher, which makes the CF become more wet, more lubricative
LH surges which will yield a positive OPK. CF continues to increase in the wet and lubricative qualities.
Ovulation occurs
Progesterone is then produced. Progesterone causes your temps to rise, and the CF to dry up.

Going crazy trying to BD before your CF has started won't do anything to improve your chances of conception, so it's completely unnecessary to try every day or every other day. Do it because you WANT to, not because it will get you pregnant. When there's no CF, sperm cells can't survive longer than about 30minutes. When CF is present, they can live up to 5 days in your body waiting for ovulation to occur. So when TTC, BD anytime you have CF, and especially on the days that it is wet and lubricative - this is your most fertile time! The ova can live up to 24 hours, so be sure to keep BDing a day or two after the slippery mucus disappears.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search