I have a few questions.

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
BlueEyedButterfly's Avatar Veteran
So DH and I have went from NTNP to TTC. I would like to start charting/temping and anything else that might help us. I plan to start my next cycle if i'm not pregnant. I am ovulating today/tomorrow. I have been able to tell when ovulating due to CM and just knowing my body, but I would like to get a better idea of whats going on and when its happening.

I would like to start temping. How do I go about doing it? Oral or vaginal? When should I start? I know to do it in the mornings before getting out of bed.

I would also like to start using ovulation predictor kit/tests. When would I start using one? When would I stop? Where is the best place to get them from?

What other things should I start doing or trying?

I have also read about pre-seed. Is it worth using? Its quite expensive so I would like to know if its really worth using.

Last edited by BlueEyedButterfly; February 5th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
February 6th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i would start temping at the beginning of your next cycle, OPKs really depend on how long your cycle is

here is a chart (scroll down to answer #8) it should help you on when to start testing

POAS ~ OPK FAQ

February 6th, 2011, 04:01 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome. I am Carrie, host of the board.

Are you TTC #1? temping orally should be sufficient. Some chose vaginally because they find their temps to be erratic due to sleeping with their mouth open or having a cold etc. I have never temped anywhere but orally. I would start temping on day one of AF, your new cycle, those who temp vaginally usually wait until AF is done, you can do that too however most temp during AF as well just to keep with routine, dont forget to chart your CM too. Do you have a fertilityfriend.com account?

How long are your cycles normally, if you know you are Oing today-ish when is AF due? I never personally used or needed OPKs if you already are fairly sure you can tell when you are Oing then you might not need them. I think most people start them on CD10 and take them 1-2 times a day until they get a +. If it were me I would do a month of CM and temps then go into OPKs if I need to. But again that is just be and if you want to try everything you can right now go for it.

I dont know anything about preseed sorry

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

February 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I temp vaginally and do so because I sleep with my mouth open and my temps were all over the place when I was temping orally. This is my first month doing it and it is taking some getting used to. I keep my thermometer on my bedside table and test as soon at my alarm goes off in the AM. Same time every day.

I also use OPKs. I start using them about cycle day 10. My cycles go anywhere from 28 days up to 42 days. Starting to test at day 10 is probably too early for me, but I am terrified of missing the positive, so I do it to put my mind at ease. I have the Answer opks and also just bought the Clear Blue Easy digital opk. I have a hard time being sure if my opk is positive and this will take the guess work out of it for me. I just buy mine at the drugstore.

Best of luck to you!

February 6th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran
I would like to start temping. How do I go about doing it? Oral or vaginal? When should I start? I know to do it in the mornings before getting out of bed.

fertilityfriend.com has great info about many things charting related, they have an online charting course and FAQ section that is useful. I personally chart orally, like someone said usually its the girls who get very erratic temps who go vaginal.. but that's of course after trying orally.. When to start depends.. if you want to get the hang of it, you could start now. Ideally you'd start at the beginning of a new cycle (after af leaves, though, because temps tend to be high during your period). BUT there's no harm starting mid cycle, you could get used to temping first thing and possibly get an idea of *your* temp range. And yes, not only before you get out of bed, but before you talk, sit up, ANYTHING! Do not, for example, have the thermometer on dh's side of the bed and have to climb over him to reach it. Keep it directly beside you, reach your arm over with as little movement as possible and shove it in your mouth! The general rules are same time every day (Set alarm and go back to sleep if you have to) and after a minimum of 3 hours sleep.

I would also like to start using ovulation predictor kit/tests. When would I start using one? When would I stop? Where is the best place to get them from?

PP is right, it depends how long your cycles are. I generally don't start using them until at least cd 10 (often not til cd14ish!) because i ovulate late, but it depends on the woman. I buy mine off a woman on ebay who lives in my city. Lots of women like the ones from earlypregnancytests.com You would stop using them AFTER you get positive ones and they go from pos to neg.

What other things should I start doing or trying?

Learn about cervical fluid and how to interpret it. It plays a big role in monitering fertile/non fertile times.

I have also read about pre-seed. Is it worth using? Its quite expensive so I would like to know if its really worth using

Never used it personally, but some women SWEAR by it! Honestly i know for me that drinking 2 cups of green tea a day really increases my cm, which is *sort of* the idea of pre-seed.. to provide a lubricative environment for the spermies to live in. So if you're not willing to spring for preseed, maybe try green tea first?
February 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
BlueEyedButterfly's Avatar Veteran
I forgot i posted this here lol. Thanks everyone for all the info.

We are TTC our first together. I have 2 children from a previous relationship. My first two were not planned so this is all new to me.

My cycles went from 28 days to 40 then down to 32. The past 6 months or so have been rather odd with my cycles.

I will give the green tea a try and see if it works.

I think I will start with the temping first and take it slowly from there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search