Starting Ovulation Testing Again...I have questions

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
stilltrying09
I'm going to start using ovulation testing strips again and want to make sure I'm testing correctly.

My cycle has been fluctuating lately. One month it can be a 29 day cycle, another month 26 days and another 28 days. What CD should I start testing?

Also, I've read so many articles on when you get your LH surge to DTD within 24-48 hours, or DTD the night of the positive LH surge on the test strip, etc...When "really" is the best time to DTD after seeing an LH surge?

When is a really good time of day to start testing also? Morning, afternoon, or evening? Once a day or twice a day?

I take a multivitamin everyday which turns my urine really yellow once my body has absorbed it. Is that going to affect my detection of an LH surge?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm really TTC!! I'm going to also use Pre-Seed in hopes that increases my chances especially since I have very minimal to zero CM

HELP PLEASE?
September 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I would say some other ladies can provide more comprehensive advice than I can (I'm only in my third cycle of TTC), but here's my take on your questions.

First off, in addition to using OPKs, you should really start charting. I recommend using FertilityFriend online. Every woman's luteal phase (LP) is different, and charting your temps (in addition to the OPKs and other indicators) will really help you identify a pattern. Over time (if you don't conceive in the first cycle or two), this will help you to not waste as many OPKs. (I learned the hard way.)

To start, though, if your earliest cycle is 26 days, if I were you, I would start using the OPKs on around CD 10. Don't get discouraged if you don't see your surge right away because, depending on the length of your LP, it could take a while (even more than a week) to see it. For example, I have a consistent 30-day cycle, but my LP is only 7 days. So for the last two cycles, I didn't ovulate until CD 23. Again, though, to be safe, just start a little earlier than halfway through your cycle, and just keep testing every day.

It's actually best to use OPKs with afternoon urine (after holding it in/not drinking for a couple hours). You might catch your LH surge in the morning (I did this month), but your chances are better in the afternoon. Once a day should be sufficient, but if you're getting closer to when you think you might O, you could certainly do it mid-morning and then in the afternoon/evening.

Your multivitamin will have no impact on your OPK results. (My pee is neon yellow, too.)

I bought Pre-seed to use this cycle because I was pretty dry last cycle. Fortunately, I had a lot of CM this time around. However, before I ovulated (on a drier day), I used the Pre-seed, and my husband did think it felt quite similar to when I do have CM. So I'm sure that will help you out.

Good luck!

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
stilltrying09
I just checked out Fertility Friend and charted my period from last month and days we DTD.

Today is CD28 and still no period. I spotted 2-3 days prior to my heavy flow last month, but no spotting this month. I'm so tired and feel like my period will start, but hoping more for a BFP. I'm anxious and would like to take a PG test already, but I'll wait until Sunday/Monday.
September 16th, 2011, 02:40 PM
You're more patient than I. It will be good to wait until Sunday/Monday. I just had a conversation with DH last night about how I was going to wait until at least two days after my missed period to test. I laughed right afterward, and he asked why. I told him that I totally just lied to his face. :

I hope you have more willpower than I do! Best of luck on testing. FX for you.

September 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
stilltrying09
I have NO will power. I just tested and it came out negative. I guess I should expect my period tonight or tomorrow :-(
September 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
You never know. It takes some gals several days after missed period for the BFP to show up. Good luck!

September 17th, 2011, 03:40 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
another benfit to charting is that you can learn how long your luteal phase is and that way you know when your period is due, then you can look for the temperatuer to drop that says that af is on the way

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

September 17th, 2011, 04:52 AM
pepper73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everything the other ladies said. Good luck! Keep us posted!!
September 18th, 2011, 01:41 AM
stilltrying09
It's 1:30am and it's technically CD30 and still no AF. I just tested again and it was another BFN. My cycle doesn't normally last this long. I would usually have my period by now.

No morning sickess, just tired. Being tired is always a big pms symptom for me.

Am I pregnant? Should I test again on CD32 if AF hasn't shown yet?
September 18th, 2011, 04:25 AM
pepper73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltrying09 View Post
It's 1:30am and it's technically CD30 and still no AF. I just tested again and it was another BFN. My cycle doesn't normally last this long. I would usually have my period by now.

No morning sickess, just tired. Being tired is always a big pms symptom for me.

Am I pregnant? Should I test again on CD32 if AF hasn't shown yet?
I'm sorry things are so wonky for you! I'm sure you're frustrated! If it were me, I'd probably be testing every day. I would say that if you don't get a BFP or AF in the next week, to call your doctor. You could be having an annovulatory cycle which might be why it's going so long. Your doctor can do some tests to verify this and also give you something to help bring on AF if you didn't ovulate. It's hard to tell for sure what is going on since you aren't temping. Temping definitely helps in situations like this.

I really hope you get some answers soon! Hopefully you just have a late implanter and will get your BFP in the next couple of days.
September 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
stilltrying09
I am truly freaking out! I feel totally normal. This has never happened to me. I've always gotten my AF by or on CD29.

I googled the possibility of being pregnant but getting negative test results and the forums that came up said there is no way I'm pregnant then continued to go into detail about the implantation and conception process day by day and by this time there would be a detection of hcg.

I'm feeling discouraged.
September 18th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Stress can often mess with your cycle, so if you're really stressing about the TTC process, this could definitely impact ovulation and, in turn, AF. Hang in there. I know it's hard to be patient, but time will tell. Then you'll start testing (and I highly recommend that you also start charting), and you will begin to understand your cycle much better.

Hoping for some answers for you this cycle!

September 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There were a handful of ladies (myself included) last month that were a week or two late for our periods. It could be just late or it could be your pg but aren't showing + test yet.

Only thing to do is wait and hope. And chart. It's showing me a lot already and I'm only in my first month!

September 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there are a couple of options i think. The first is that you Od late, due to stress or whatever and you are pregnant and you will get a+ soon, the second is that you had delayed ovualtion and your AF just isnt due yet... Or it could be annovulatory.

i am sorry its so stressful and confusing. hopefully another few days will bring a clear answer

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

September 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM
stilltrying09
I'm still hoping for a BFP, but I'm not going to get my hopes high.

I've always tested positive by CD30 if I were pregnant in the past. I don't know if it's because I'm older now and my body is going thru changes. My stress is level and not out of control. My weight as fluctuated though so maybe that's it.
September 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The super simplest way to go about this is:

When you feeling wet or slippery while you walk around during the day, that means you're highly fertile. It's the best time to BD, doesn't matter what CD it is. It's normal for the time of ovulation to move from cycle to cycle. When you notice an increase in how wet you feel, that's also a good time to using ovulation tests. Your body will tell you all you need to know.
September 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
stilltrying09
I've always wonder what the wet and slippery uncomfortable feeling was every month. That actually happens at times right before my period is due. Matter of fact, I'm STILL waiting for my period!

DTD yesterday morning and there was light spotting so I asuumed my period finally started. I wore a tampon all day yesterday and it was completely clean with no trace of blood at the end of the day. No spotting today either. Today is CD33 and I'm extremely fatigued and my breasts are sore and sensitive.

What gives? Two negative pg tests last week. Should I test again now?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search