Possible to have temp rise but not ovulate??

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
LindsG241's Avatar Lindsey, pregnant w/ #2!
DH and I have been TTC for 4 months now and charted for 3 of those cycles. I noticed some issues after charting that I wanted to discuss with my midwife so I took my charts in to show her. Mainly concerned that I have a luteal phase defect as my LP is typically only 10 days. I was hoping I could get some testing done. I've had thyroid problems in the past and concerns about PCOS also.

Anyway, my midwife kept adamantly stating that she thought I am not even ovulating. How could that be?!?! I have a clear temp shift every month (see last months chart) with all signs of fertility coinciding. I get AF every month regularly.
TCOYF

So my question is - if you have a clear temp shift (and aren't sick or anything), doesn't that mean you almost definitely ovulated?
December 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
It's possible, but it's rare. It's usually caused by a certain cyst that forms instead of releasing an egg. Kind of like your body gets ready to ovulate, but it collapses in on itself instead. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is through having an ultrasound every day (at least as far as I know). I'm not sure how she's gathering that from you charts, though. Maybe since you usually have a slow rise? I don't think that's a problem, but maybe she thinks so?

What are they doing about your thyroid issues? Your pre-o temps are a little on the low side (but not horribly low).

Good luck!
December 7th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your charts look ovulatory to me. The LP length is borderline concerning. . Have you recently discontinued hormonal contraception?

Have you considered following the TTC guidelines for the timing of intercourse to increase your chance?
December 8th, 2011, 05:39 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before ttc my first I charted and had a 9-10 day luteal phase and had a chemical pregnancy. I started looking for natural ways to help and read that B6 could help so I started taking a pill of that daily. I did nothing else different and had a longer LP and got pregnant the next cycle.

not saying it will work that well fo you but maybe try some B6? It cant hurt

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

December 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM
b6 has helped me quite a bit as well. I highly suggest it.
December 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
LindsG241's Avatar Lindsey, pregnant w/ #2!
Thanks for all the replies!! Well, I got my lab results back today (they took thyroid labs and glucose/insulin labs). Everything came back "normal". From my experience being hypothyroid in the past, though, I think my levels are on the low side again. They are about where they were when I had my first diagnosis (the doctor who diagnosed me is no longer practicing!!). I've been trying to do some research on my own and i'm considering supplementing with a natural progesterone cream during the luteal phase. Do you guys think thats a good idea? They didn't offer to test my progesterone (she she thinks i'm not even ovulating) but i've read it's safe even if progesterone isn't low. It seems like I have symptoms of estrogen dominance which could explain the short luteal phase and the hypothyoid symptoms too.

I have been taking 100mg of B6 for the past 2-3 months and it hasn't changed much. Maybe thats not enough for me? I've also started taking Vitex. This is my second cycle on it.

Shawna- I have not been on hormonal birth control since before my son was conceived over 3 years ago (who I ironally conceived first try off the pill). I think we have been timing sex pretty well..though last month we sorta burned out before getting to the prime day so it may not have been great timing last month. We are just doing every other day this month. I figure if for some reason DH has low sperm count it should help with that, and we hopefully won't burn out as easily at this rate, and should hit at least 1 of the prime days!
December 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I had to take 200mg before I noticed much of a difference in my LP, so you may want to up the dose. As for the progesterone cream, unfortunately, the over the counter stuff did nothing for me. There just wasn't a high enough concentration of progesterone in it. I don't know what to tell you about your thyroid, but it's perfectly okay to get a second opinion. Maybe even from somebody who will draw your progesterone

As for your BD timing, I'd actually suggest trying to BD less. Too much BDing during your fertile phase can dry out your CM and change the PH. It can also lower his sperm count, so since you haven't had success with every day, you may want to try every other day. My DH and I tried DTD less this month, and I'm hoping that less was more for us
December 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsG241 View Post
Shawna- I have not been on hormonal birth control since before my son was conceived over 3 years ago (who I ironally conceived first try off the pill). I think we have been timing sex pretty well..though last month we sorta burned out before getting to the prime day so it may not have been great timing last month. We are just doing every other day this month. I figure if for some reason DH has low sperm count it should help with that, and we hopefully won't burn out as easily at this rate, and should hit at least 1 of the prime days!
*If* by chances he does have lower sperm count, you can time it a little better to maximize the chances (and reduce burn out!) The guidelines for conceiving with the Billings Ovulation Method are to BD every other day from AF until you first notice CM. Sperm is produced in supply and demand fashion, so this encourages production. Then once you notice CM, WAIT! Stop BDing! WAIT until the CM becomes slippery, however many days that takes. Once you notice that the CM is slippery or lubricative, BD again. The waiting allows the sperm to build up for a few days, so that when you hit your most fertile time there is lots of fresh, healthy sperm ready to go. BD while the CM is slippery and at least once during the 2 days after the slippery CM disappears. Lots of people make the mistake of stopping once the CM stops, but those two days afterward are still highly fertile. BDing too much can actually make it harder to conceive.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search