OPKs...how fast does LH surge decline after ovulation?

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
stilltrying09
I've been using OPK strips from CD5 to today (CD14). Yesterday's results looked like 2 identical lines which I guess would mean I would ovulate today. I just took another test today and there are still 2 identical lines.

So how do I know if I ovulated today or if I'm ovulating tomorrow?

Shouldn't my LH surge have declined already if I ovulated today? Which would've meant unidentical test results today?

HELP! Because we're trying the Shettles method of conceiving a girl and we had sex on Sun and Mon only. If I ovulate tomorrow and based on sperm living up to 5 days only, there's no sperm in me anymore to meet and greet my egg.
May 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OPK's can be different for everyone so there is no right answer. Some only get 1 day of positives, some will get 2 or 3 days of positives. And sometimes you'll O the day of your positive, sometimes the day after... there's really no definite timeframe. Are you temping as well to be able to confirm whether or not you've O'd?
May 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM
stilltrying09
I'm not temping. I've never tried that.
May 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OPK's aren't that precise. They just tell you when LH is surging, but that doesn't tell you *exactly* when ovulation is going to occur....or even if it will. The LH can surge even if the process of ovulation is interrupted and isn't successful at this time.

The CM pattern is much more useful for applying the Shettles Method. For a girl, make sure to BD when you first begin to feel wetness or see cervical mucus. Once it starts to make you feel slippery - then WAIT! Wait until at least 4 days after the slippery mucus disappears.
May 15th, 2012, 11:34 AM
stilltrying09
That's the thing. I never have CM or can never tell if I have CM. When do you start to produce CM anyway?
May 15th, 2012, 11:53 AM
If you don't have any CM at all, then conception is not possible until that is fixed (even if you're ovulating nicely). Sperm need CM to survive in your body. Have you discontinued a hormonal contraceptive within the last 18 months? Hormonal contraceptive can damage the parts of your cervix where CM is produced.

You can tell if you have CM just by paying attention to how you feel in the vaginal area while you walk around during the day. If you don't feel anything, that's called "dry" - no CM. If you notice that you feel wetness or lubrication at times, that's the CM. Sometimes there is enough that you can see on toilet paper, but not everyone has that much. If there is enough to make you feel wet, there is enough for conception.

Here's some information on fertility and tracking CM:
http://www.woomb.org/learningBOM/B20...nstruction.pdf

I am an instructor with the Billings Ovulation Method. If you would like some help learning to monitor your CM and how to sway the odds of conceiving a particular gender, please feel free to PM me.
May 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
stilltrying09
Sometimes I have discharge but it's not the stretchy egg white consistency I read about, so I always took that as not CM. If I didn't get pregnant this month, I'll pay more attention to my CM next month.

The link has alot of info, but confusing.
May 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
CM doesn't have to be stretchy egg white. Any kind of discharge you observe is potentially fertile.

Yeah, it is a lot of info at first. Seriously, I can walk you through it if you want.
May 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
stilltrying09
If you can please walk me thru so I'm prepared for next month if I'm not already pregnant.
May 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM
There are two ways you can start. You can sign up for a chart at nfpcharting.com
or just download a Personal Record Chart here:
Downloads | Resources

If you use nfpcharting.com, just click "Share Chart with your Teacher" and pick my name from the list. I'm the only Shawna on Canada list.

Then each day, as you go about your daily activities, pay attention to what you feel. In the evening, write down what you felt on the chart. If you felt nothing all day, write "dry" and use a plain green stamp. If you feel anything at all, describe it in your own words and use a white baby stamp. I'll help you figure out what it means once you have a week or two of observations recorded. The practice you get now will help next cycle!

Anytime you DTD, put an "I" on the chart and mark the next day with a white baby stamp - because seminal fluid usually causes some wetness the next day.
May 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thank you for all the information Shawna!

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

May 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
stilltrying09
Hi Shawna...I created my account on nfpcharting and chose you as my teacher. Today is CD21 and I should be expecting my period sometime Memorial weekend. Should I start using the charting now or when my period/spotting starts?
May 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Start right away; it's good practice!
May 18th, 2012, 08:41 PM
stilltrying09
Ok, so anything I chart, you will see automatically or do I have to send it to you every time I comment or change something?
May 18th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I will see it automatically if I click on your name in my student list. But I won't go looking at it unless you ask me to.
May 21st, 2012, 09:35 AM
stilltrying09
Hi Shawna. I've been using the chart the past 3 days and would like for you to take a look at it anytime.
May 21st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Great! Want to discuss it here, or can I email you?
May 21st, 2012, 02:47 PM
stilltrying09
You can discuss here. I'm open and there may be other women having the same problem and can get advice reading this.
May 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Ok, so does "dry" mean you're feeling nothing and seeing nothing at all during the day?
May 21st, 2012, 02:53 PM
stilltrying09
Dry meaning no wetness or wetness feeling. I tend to feel wet and uncomfortable before my period which can't mean I'm going to ovulate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search