Starting to chart and need help! Cycle question.

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By MegN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ok, I've been off the pill since January and I have no idea how long my cycle is. It seems like it changes every 2-3 months. At first AF was coming around the 13th or 14th each month, then it started coming around the 5th or 6th and this month it came on the 10th. How the heck am I supposed to know when I'm O'ing? Is this something I just have to wait out and hope it gets regular every month? Frustrated.
May 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I'm still learning myself, but it's my understanding that that's normal after coming off of the Pill. How much reading about charting have you done? I'm not sure that you're tracking the right things if you're looking at which day AF comes on.

Your pre-ovulatory phase is the part of your cycle that determines how long it will be, and you can track that through a few things including temperature, cervical fluid and cervical position. You can ovulate anywhere from day 10 to day 26 and everywhere in between and have it be considered a normal cycle length. It will likely differ every month, too. Your post-ovulatory phase will typically be the same amount of days every cycle regardless of how long it took you to ovulate.

Welcome to Taking Charge of Your Fertility has some great information to get you started.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
May 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM
I thought you calculated your cycle length from the day your period starts to the day before the next one? I'm still trying to figure all of this stuff out. Lots of info! Thanks for the link!
May 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Sort of, but when AF comes is the least important part of the equation and you'll drive yourself nuts trying to predict based on that. Actually, you aren't supposed to predict at all; how long it takes you to ovulate is what determines the length of your cycle, and some things (stress, travel, sickness, etc) can delay ovulation. The *best* way to track your cycles is to watch for a few tell-tale signs *as it's happening*. Most women will see some kind of pattern in their cycle lengths over time but generally speaking the length of time it takes someone to ovulate can range hugely and still be "normal".

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
May 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's normal to have irregular cycles for the first 3 - 18 months after discontinuing the Pill.

The time of ovulation can move from cycle to cycle. Your period comes about 2 weeks after ovulation. So if ovulation is late, your period will be late. If ovulation is earlier, your period will be earlier. You can tell when you're ovulating by tracking the natural signs that your body gives you, day by day. No guessing or counting days, your body will tell you when it's happening once you learn what to look for!

Here's some information on tracking your signs:
Natural Signals of Fertility | Healthy Alternative
Keakie likes this.
May 21st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ah, I understand now! Thanks ladies! I don't have a bbt yet...guess I better get to the store!
Keakie likes this.
May 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can track ovulation with cervical mucus alone, or with a BBT! Your preference!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search