Temping while Sick

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
wastcougr's Avatar TTCMA as of July 2014
Hey Ladies,

So a couple of days ago, I realized that I was getting a nasty cold. I continued to temp, and I was getting values that were in the relatively normal range. Last cycle, I O'd on CD 15 so I was thinking that this being CD 14 of this cycle, I would be getting close. I did two OPKs that were BLARINGLY negative. Also, my CM was only creamy.

This morning, however, my temp was almost 2 full degrees above "normal" for me pre-O. My question is this... How does being sick affect temps? I took DayQuil and NyQuil yesterday (and I know NyQuil has alcohol in it) so could that be the reason for the spike?

Also, I took this temp about an hour and a half earlier than I normally do because I was already awake. And yes, I took it twice and got the same ballpark number.

Anyone know how being sick affects temps?

Thanks,
Christi

Me: 41 (almost), DH: 44 (He has a 15-year-old from a previous marriage)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic (27 years and counting), and I've had gastric bypass (Dec, 2013 - currently 5 lbs away from goal weight)

Started with an RE on 7/23/2014 and so far:

SA came back with 44 million, 27.3% alive
Fibroids present, endometriosis suspected
HSG normal - both tubes open

Cycle 1: August, 2014 - Unsuccessful

Cycle 2: September, 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

Cycle 3: October, 2014 - Failed IUI

Cycle 4: November, 2014 - IUI (currently in the 2WW)

July 20th, 2012, 01:28 AM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
I was sick for a week during my 2ww last week, and it did not seem to have an effect on my temperatures, they were relatively consistent. I was also using a DayQuil and NyQuil equivalent that is sold here.

But I am new to the charting and it was only my first month keeping an accurate record so I am no expert. Do you temp vaginally or orally? Just a thought, but if you are temping orally and you are congested perhaps you were mouth breathing, that can mess with the temps.

Didn't want to read and run. Good luck and I hope you have a succesful month and get your BFP

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting
July 20th, 2012, 05:35 PM
wastcougr's Avatar TTCMA as of July 2014
I'm pretty sure I had a fever Wednesday night into Thursday morning. My temp was a little up today, as well, but I believe it's because of my cold. I do temp orally (temping vaginally would be too much of a hassle as I don't sleep in my birthday suit) and find that I do sometimes breathe through my mouth, but this temp was WAY above and temps when I breathe through my mouth are usually lower than average.

So, I'm using my CM to see when I O this month, and using OPKs. Based on those, I don't believe I O'd yet.

Thanks for the response,
Christi

Me: 41 (almost), DH: 44 (He has a 15-year-old from a previous marriage)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic (27 years and counting), and I've had gastric bypass (Dec, 2013 - currently 5 lbs away from goal weight)

Started with an RE on 7/23/2014 and so far:

SA came back with 44 million, 27.3% alive
Fibroids present, endometriosis suspected
HSG normal - both tubes open

Cycle 1: August, 2014 - Unsuccessful

Cycle 2: September, 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

Cycle 3: October, 2014 - Failed IUI

Cycle 4: November, 2014 - IUI (currently in the 2WW)

July 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
If you feel sick it is safest to exclude the temperatures during this time. When I am sick my temperature does not have to rise extremely, but it rises noticeably and can cause a false thermal shift.
Especially if you chart other symptoms as well and these observations don't coincide with your temperature it is very likely the temp rise is due to sickness. Alcohol can also affect your temperature, but that depends on the person.
July 27th, 2012, 04:42 AM
hopingfor2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think the amount of alcohol in nyquil would affect it, however you said you were already awake and if you were moving around or talking or had anything to drnk it would def mess with the temp usually making it go up. When I'm sick I still chart the temp, but note that I was sick unless it drastically changes it. But since your new to temping I would disregard it but still note it somewhere. Hope this helps and hope you feel better and good luck ttc!!!!
Brianna- Mommy to DS, Brayden Chase 09/01/06 TTC#2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search