Is it ok to use different Thermometers?

Forum: Fertility Charting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Fertility Charting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I was curious, can I chart my temps using an instant ear thermometer? I'm asking because of course it's faster and the bb thermometer I have always shows my temps unusually low. I can test at lunch and it is never higher than 95.6, so I'm thinking something may be wrong with it. I'm very new to all of this, it is my first cycle trying. Are there any temp pro's out there to lend some support.
September 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
Never ever take your temperature during the day, it will only confuse you.
You need to take your temperature at the same time every morning, it needs to be the first thing you do as soon as your eyes open (so no talking, going to pee etc.). You also need to get a good amount of uninterrupted sleep for your temp to be accurate... everyone differs on that one though, some can have 4 hours and their temp is fine, others (like myself) need atleast 6.

I wouldn't suggest using different thermometers, each one has it's own sensitivity and this can make your chart invalid. You need to use a BBT thermometer, NOT a fever one.
You can take your temp orally, under the armpit, vaginally or rectally. I have not heard of taking it in your ear though. Oral temps will not be accurate if you are a mouth breather and will result in erratic temperatures. I recommend vaginally, it's a lot more accurate for me personally plus your temps will be around a degree higher than it would be orally.

To reiterate: You can only take your temp first thing in the morning, the moment you wake up. Any other temp is completely irrelevant and not worth taking. Use 1 thermometer only, if you want to use a different one then you need to start using it the next cycle only.

If you find that your temps are still unusually low after doing all of this, it COULD be a sign of hypothyroidism. It would be a good idea to chart your temps for say 3 months, and then take those charts to your doc if you have a concern.

Hope this helps! post your chart up so that we can look at it and possibly give you further advice...

My Ovulation Chart
September 7th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I will try it again next month, I was concerned that it always says 92-93.5. My normal temp (to determine fever) has always been a bit low (97.8) and my grandmothers was as well. I was just concerned that my thermometer wasn't correct. And I didn't want to spend the money on an instant thermometer if it wasn't going to be useful.
thanks
September 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM
jellybean93's Avatar Super Mommy
Golly that is low... Is that in the morning before you get up or do anything? orally?
Definitely think it may be worth getting a thyroid test done to rule that out... My temps are "low" and they are between 96.7 and 97.6 but everyone is different and it may not necessarily mean something is wrong, just always a good idea to cover your bases though

My Ovulation Chart
September 7th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like maybe something is wrong with your thermometer or you are a mouth breather. Maybe try replacing the batteries cause even if its new, you never know how new the batteries are and see if that does it. You can also use a regular thermometer, it just isn't as accurate as it doesn't go to the hundreths spot but you don't need for it to go that accurate unless charting in Centigrade. Other thermometers such as for your ear or temporal are not recommended. 97.8 as a 'normal non fever temp' is still a good temp. Plus there are lots of things that can affect your temp during the day such as activity, talking, room temp, food, etc. 98.6 is just a "average" if what is considered an acceptable normal temp.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search