SSSC: Creating Moving Rain

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
This week's challenge is over creating rain. The steps I'm giving you I know work in PSE and PS, however, I do not know if it will work in all others, try to use these steps (they're the easiest I've found) and if it still does not work for you let me know and I'll try to find someone who uses another program to come on here and give directions.
Note: I only know how to do this in a contained area (shape). If you need screen shots let me know, if not I'm not making them.
An example in case some of you newer makers don't know what I'm talking about lol

Directions:
1. set up your siggy with all elements, decorations, text etc. Just make sure your photo area is clearly defined.
2. Save a PSD file of your siggy NOW!
3. Merge all your elements and text above your pic into one layer, and then merge all your elements, text, and white back ground below your pic into one layer. (You should now have 3 layers Background, Pic, Top elements)
4. you will need to play with the levels of your photo. Bright pics will not work well with a rainy siggy. What I recommend is lowering your saturation and upping your contrast.
5. (don't have to do this step, I just do) make an extraction of the person/object that is the focus of your siggy. Make the extraction hidden/invisible for now.
6. Duplicate you pics and create a new layer over it. Use your paint bucket and fill the layer with dark gray or black.
7. Select your black/gray layer go to filter>noise>add noise. Use settings Gaussian and Monochromatic, and use a setting of around 400.
8. Next go to filter>blur>motion blur. Use a distance of about 10. Use whichever angle/direction seems to look most realistic to you and your pic.
9. Use unsharp mask on your rain layer, and up your contrast so that the "rain" is as white as you can get it and the dark areas are as dark as you can get it.
10. Some places will tell you just to adjust your opacity of the rain layer, I think it looks better to use Multiply or Overlay and then adjust opacity if you need to.
11. Move the rain layer up until the bottom of that layer is at the bottom of the pic, the clip the rain layer into your pic.
12. Duplicate both rain and pic layer. In duplicate, nudge rain layer down about 10 times
13. Repeat step twelve (using newest layers of each) until you get the top of the rain layer down to the top of the pic layer. Merge the two layers. (Not all of them into one! Each individual set of rain and pic layers. Ex: [from bottom up] pic 1 rain 1, pic 2 rain 2, pic 3 rain 3 - merge each set)
14. Remember your extraction? Unhide it and bring it to underneath your top elements layer. Again play with the levels until your are happy that it matches your pic in a way so that its not obvious that its not part of it. Merge it with the top elements layer.
15. Duplicate your top elements and back ground layers until you have as many of each as you do pic/rain layers. Arrange them into the following pattern: Background>Pic>Top elements, Background>Pic>Top elements... Merge each set of three.
16. Go through steps of saving for animation using a high animation speed.

Hope those directions work for you ladies! Let me know if you need help.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Last edited by trishosaurus; March 10th, 2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added example
March 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
This looks hard. Will have to come back and re-read tonight, lol.

March 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM
IBake2Boys+1Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via MSN to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Yahoo to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Skype™ to IBake2Boys+1Girl
this is something I'm going to have to do AFTER the kiddos are in bed but I'm so excited to learn this!

Marie {mom to}
Ethan (7), Patrick (4), Emma (2)
Happily Married to Nathan (4.28.07)
March 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Dean's Mommy's Avatar ~Samantha~
I am SOOOO EXCITED about this challenge. It's going to be a REAL challenge, and I love it!

Thanks Trish!

*Siggy under construction*

**If you would like a siggy, please PM me a request.** *View my gallery**View my Blog*

Last edited by Dean's Mommy; March 10th, 2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: I can't spell!
March 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
Ooh, I just learned how to do this!! Can I still participate?

March 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM
sure
March 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Kit Kat's Avatar Photoshop Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to Kit Kat
Here's mine before cc:

Final:

Last edited by Kit Kat; March 12th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
March 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
Ok.... here is what I have come up with.... I am still not happy with my elements, I am thinking of changing them. Your directions worked great, I am happy with my "rain"

Final... can we so totally different

Last edited by peimum; March 12th, 2009 at 07:32 AM.
March 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
.adi.
can I do this one Trish?
March 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
sure anyone who wants to take place in these can. i just leave it up to the makers judgment (if they know they are really good) on if they want to enter the poll
March 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
.adi.
i don't know if I'll enter the poll but I do think I might want cc on it
March 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine sucks so far. When you make the extraction, is it supposed to create a new layer? Mine didn't. I did the extraction and nothing happened. I don't understand how to make it invisible. Also, on #12 what does nudge mean? Like, move it down 10 times? I don't have 10 layers. I'm confused, sorry. I am a loser, everyone else gets it but me. LOL I'm too tired to mess with this anymore I'll check it out again tomorrow.

March 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
when you make your extraction it should make a new layer. what you do is use you magnetic lasso use it to go around your object copy and paste (a cutout)
nudges: using your arrow keys to move a layer (move it in your siggy workspace area, not layers palate)
March 11th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Man I am retarded sometimes. For the extraction, I actually went to Filter>Extract. I take things way too literally sometimes. I'll try again later on when DD naps or after she goes to bed. Thanks for all your help Trish!

March 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
its okay. i always called it a cut out and would get sooo confused when people would talk about extractions.
March 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Zarziza's Avatar I have ooodles of IT!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Zarziza
any idea how to do this is Paint shop? I would love to learn this. No hurry though as i won't have time to enter it in the SSSC.

March 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
i think it should be the same. as long as you can do add noise and motion blur you should be good. check your filters area.
March 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Zarziza's Avatar I have ooodles of IT!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Zarziza
ty trish, will have a look up on google about noise and motion blur as i have no idea what these are. I shud be able to look up some TUT... I hope.

March 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
will see if I can try this.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

March 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you don't mind if I jump in on this too! I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw Trish's.
I couldn't do it quite like the instructions... it involved using 2 seperate programs and neither of them have masks. For the rain, I had to do the noise/blur (I did it on a periwinkle background to make it match the front photo a bit better - and the up the contrast completely - then place it over the background photo and decrease the transparency most of the way...

Anywho! I probably won't do the poll, but I'll ask for C&C.
Before C&C:

Final - I can't wait to put it on next month for April Showers!

Last edited by Destany; March 12th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search