Putting Something Into/Through Something Else

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Siggy School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
foxfire_ga79
Bear with me, I don't know the terminology to describe what I want to know lol

I want to know how to put an object "into" another object in a picture. For example, I'm wanting to put a cut out of Ivy into a flower and look like she's sitting in the flower, like a cup. So basically Ivy is in front of part of the flower and behind part of the flower, she's surrounded by it.
How do I do this? I have PhotoShop Elements 8.

Thanks!
July 19th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Duplicate the flower layer.

Move one of the flower layers in front of Ivy, and the other behind Ivy.

For the flower layer that is in front of Ivy, erase the part that shouldn't be showing (keep the petals that are supposed to be in front of her and erase the petals that aren't supposed to be in front of her).

Hope that helps!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
foxfire_ga79
Thanks!! I'll let you know what I come up with. It'll probably take me a few tries.

How have you been lately? We miss you.
July 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I'm good. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
foxfire_ga79
Well, if I do say so, I think I've gotten a little better. How do you like Ivy as a butterfly in her little nest? lol I know my shadows are too dark but for some reason that's appealing to me.
This is last night's creation:

I used PSE to adjust lighting, cut her out and put her on top of the flower. And the text. Then I went and played with Roxio to make it an oil painting and add the mirage. I'm trying to figure out, since my Roxio program is also a video editor, if I can make sparklies for gif. But that's a whole different ball game and I'm just not there yet! lol If that program allows it though, I'll come back and bug you on how to make animations.
July 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM
foxfire_ga79
Alright here's my first attempt. I'm tired and haven't put much effort into it but now that I've figured out roughly what to do I'll do better when I'm actually awake.
Thanks again Molly!

July 20th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Those are both so cute, Rebecca! For the version with the purple flower, I love the oil painting effect that you used, but those are the kinds of creative effects that I haven't really ever even tried to play with, so I can't help you much. The only thing I might do differently in that one is maybe add some color to the background behind the flower, maybe with a masked paper or a brush or something. And I absolutely looooove the second one. The cut-out on your flower is really clean, and the shadowing is just perfect. The cutout of Ivy could possibly be a little cleaner, so I might just use a soft eraser brush to go around the edges of her face and back. But I love the expression on her face! She is such a doll!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search