Last minute newborn shoot, where to get last minute props?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Well I just got a last minute booking from my first repeat customer, a lady whom I shot maternity pictures for wants me to do her baby girls newborn pictures, well I've been telling myself for months I needed to get some girl props but I just hadn't got around to it yet, all I've had so far is newborn boys so I have blues and browns in hats and cocoons but nothing for a little girl. Where would you get stuff like that locally that you dont have to have shipped to you? I tried googling childrens boutiques out here but I just keep getting clothing boutiques...I have this shoot on Monday so I have little time to get my hands on something.

September 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Good luck! I can't wait to see the pics from it! Maybe you can make a little tutu for the baby, they are so easy to make. Otherwise, I have no idea cause I have never done a newborn shoot. (or any shoot for that matter! )

September 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michaels and craft stores. Ribbons and bows make for cute props to use in different ways. Also try second hand stores. I get cheap baskets, bowls ornaments, hats, etc. super cheap there and then just clean them up.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
September 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
check your local Gymboree store. They often have cute little hats. Also, try searching Etsy for sellers in your area. You may be able to purchase through etsy and pic up your items

September 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
I have plenty of baskets and such, just needing girly hats and cocoons...Erin...I tried the etsy thing and when I search locations it just comes up with a bunch for shops in my area...how can I search of a certain item like cocoons and hats in my area? I can't figure it out...I don't just want to search shops with items I don't need.

September 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i dont know any other way then to do a local search and weed through the results. I wish etsy had an advanced search option

you could try posting a WANTED ad on craigs list and ask for emails with pictures and prices for hats

September 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also check your local Value Village or Goodwill...they always have tons of crocheted hats in mine because nobody else wants an old crocheted hat! lol

I say less is more...so just fine a nice blanket and go naked! (not you...haha)
Suzannah (2.5)

September 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe get some cheese cloth and dye it pink? I've seen that done... I prefer it white, but I'm in the mindset for a boy....since that's what I'm having.

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
CrysG's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you don't know how to knit, you can get a knifty knitter set (they sell them at Walmart $12 or JoAnn's for like $19) You can make coccons and hats, I've made a lot, it takes about 5 hours to do a cocoon, and about a hour to a hour and a half to make a beanie! It's not hard AT ALL!! very very easy and very fast! E-mail me if you want more info!!
picswithcrys.com

September 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I went to Hobby Lobby and got some fabric cut to make my own cap and whatda know, I find knitted caps in all different colors a few aisles down lol...I bought some large flowers and hair clips and I am going to glue them on the back of the flowers to clip on the knitted cap. I also went back to a lady on Etsy that I ordered a cashmere cap and cocoon from and wanted to see if she had anything already made that she can rush ship to me and she did, she had a pink tube cocoon and a cashmere pink and white cap so I ordered those too.

Ohhh I so want to learn more about knitting, do you have a link to this knifty knitter kit thing?

September 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
CrysG's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joanna-here is a link to what the knifty knitter: Kmart Online Shopping for home accessories, TVs, clothing, and more

But you can deft search you tube and it tells and shows you how to do it, soooo easy!!! My step kids who are 6, 7, and 10 can use it!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search