What would you do??

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
The wedding that I shot about 2 months ago, the bride is being a complete and utter b*!!

Firstly she has hounded and hounded me for the pics. Secondly not ONCE has she said thank you, or shown any appreciation, she has been nothing short of rude and ungrateful. I have put over 20+ hours into her pics. I did the shoot and offered the pics all for free.

I explained to her that I would need a model release form signed. She did not want to sign it so she did not get her pictures. Then she decides to email me and ask again for the pictures. I sent her a model release form with a note that I would need it signed in order to get the pictures.

Instead of just having herself and husband sign, she signs it alone, returns it to me and tells me that its a generic form and that since she alone signed it the only pictures I could use were of her alone. (of course there are none of her alone). She also told me my model release wouldnt hold up in court. ( Its a simple release allowing me to use pictures of the signed person, pretty basic but it works). She also says she "refuses" to speak for her wedding guests and that I cant use any of those pictures either.

She ends it by signing alone, and writing on it that she has YET to receive the pictures.

At this point, I want to tell her to stick it where the sun dont shine, and that she isnt getting her pictures. There was no contract, so I am not obligated, right?? (This was the wedding I shot with the other photographer who did have a contract with her, but I didnt).

However, she prefers my pictures and is dying to get her hands on the images and rights.. But man, how ungrateful and rude can you be???? Hello redneck, I cant use most of your pics because your boobs were hanging out, you were not in a formal gown and you got DRUNK..

What would you do?? Thanks!

Last edited by twoboys; September 18th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.
September 18th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NC has some interesting laws so i dont know legally what you can and cant do though I would say that in the future you should charge SOMETHING for wedding pics and ask for the release to be signed up front.

I guess i would look into the oral contract laws in your state and if you signed a contract with the other photog, you should comb that over to see exactly what you agreed to.

my personal inclination would be to tell her that either she AND her husband need to sign the contract or pay you $500 ($800? $1000) to purchase their photographs since they have decided to not honor their portion of the arrangement.

September 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Well the other photographer said she had me covered in the contract, but when it came to crunch time she wont give it to me.. so therefor I have no idea what I am obligated too. I havent actually ever "spoken" to the bride. I was under strict orders to not "bother " her during the wedding. She is being difficult on purpose. I guess I cant guarantee the "quality" of my work.. maybe she will get some nice unedited under exposed images!!

There was no contract between her and I. I showed her some pics and she wanted them, I told her I needed a signed release to give them to her and thats where she decided to become this horrible ungrateful person.

I would love to say, well if you cant sign on behalf of your guest then I cant release those pictures.. kwim?? She is trying to get it all for nothing. I will NEVER ever do another free wedding.. NEVER!

I would also love to say, well since we are having a problem with the model release my only other option is to sell you the pictures for a total of $500. That way, I dont need a release and you can get all of your pictures!! How about that!
September 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
you need to press the other photog for a copy of the contract, though did YOU sign that contract? b/c if not, then you should not be legally obligated to the contents of that contract

September 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the idea of saying to her that if she doesn't want to sign the contract that you will release print copies of the photos to her for $500. I bet she'll sign. But I would check your contract to see if you signed anywhere promising her pics. What a cow!

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

September 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Good gracious, I thought I had it bad with my last wedding but this is awful, I would not give this girl one single picture until she and her husband sign...as for the guests, I was asked not to use pictures of guests at my last nightmare wedding and I agreed, I am only using bride/groom pictures or just bride and just groom plus decoration pictures, he asked me not to use guest pictures and I just agreed because I didn't know how I could get permission from all his guests.

And I agree with Erin, if you did not sign the other photographers contract you do not have to follow anything that was in it....so I say the bride needs to get those two signatures to you or she pays for the pictures, period...geez...sorry your having to go through all that.

September 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a different opinion from the others. I would definitely try to either get a model release or offer her the photos in exchange for monetary compensation BUT, if she won't do either, I wouldn't withhold her pics.

Negative word of mouth is pretty powerful. She knows you, she knows your business and she can do quite a bit of damage. You're out the time you spent at the wedding either way and I'd still provide her with some of her images.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

September 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I think that this woman sounds like she's vindictive so whether or not she gets the pics, she's going to be bad mouthing Nicky and honestly- would you want business from this woman's friends? If they put up with her, I can only imagine what they might dish out

September 18th, 2010, 10:54 PM
teenytiny's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
I think that this woman sounds like she's vindictive so whether or not she gets the pics, she's going to be bad mouthing Nicky and honestly- would you want business from this woman's friends? If they put up with her, I can only imagine what they might dish out

Maybe I'm just hard headed but I wouldn't give her the photos without the release form. If people know your work and see what you have to offer then I wouldn't have any worries.

September 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
Agreed, wouldn't want business from anyone she is associated with anyway...and I do believe she is going to give you a bad rap either way, so I'd rather get a bad rap with her NOT getting her pictures...I am hard headed too

September 19th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Matilda's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
gez, she sounds like a right mole.

stick to your guns. If she is not going to sign the release (with her husband), then she is not going to get the images, simple as that.
September 19th, 2010, 03:06 AM
momofemnry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow this is why I don't do weddings. What a nightmare. I am sorry you are goingthrough this. I would not give her any either with out signatures or money.
September 19th, 2010, 05:20 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would sell her prints. Then see if she wanted to buy a cd of them for $500.

Then delete them from your hard drive permanently and tell her that you will be doing that since she wont agree to your release.

If she is a beeotch, everyone else knows it too.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
September 19th, 2010, 06:16 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a free motorcycle shoot in May and the guy refused to sign my release. So I showed him a couple with big ol' fat watermarks on them. Now he wants them badly but won't sign. I told him to not contact me again unless he's prepared to sign the release.

Stick to your guns hun. This is something they agreed to do with you so they need to hold up their end of the bargain. Because you sure did.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
September 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the worst thing you can do is give into her and give her the pictures without any payment or signatures that you require. What is that saying about you as a businesswoman? You have to look out for YOU, not someone who is trying to scam you.

If you do ever hear any negative comments about yourself, explain the situation without putting the client down. I would just say that you have to set a professional standard for yourself and clients need to respect that, and she didn't.

After so long, I would just tell her you have deleted the pictures and wish to no longer have contact with her. She obviously can't grasp the concept of give and take.
September 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM
sleepybear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have an email exchange with her? I *think* email exchanges count... It might be something to look into. What a crappy situation...

September 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys... I will not give her the pictures without both signatures. I am very hard headed too and right now I am way to hormonal to deal with this situation and try to be "nice". I sent her the release back and told her I didnt intend to use pictures of the guests (I wanted to put in, as they were trashed) but I didnt. I told her there were actually only a couple that I could even use... (should make her feel good) *insert sarcasm. I told her I obviously needed the husbands signature.

I am " close to giving her all the proofs and NOT my edited versions. I didnt sign a contract with her or the other photographer. I would have never even taken her pictures if I had known what she was like. I did contact the other photographer who laughed and said, "yah, she is quite the bridezilla, I got that from my meeting with her".. geez, thanks for the heads up!

According to my photography teacher, a release is just that "a release"... It doesnt have to be fancy and can only be signed by the person releasing themselves, so she couldnt sign for anyone else anyhow.. She was just trying to have a dig about the release form..

BTW if anyone has a good wedding contract, could you pm it to me please. I will never be in this situation again!!

Thanks for all the advice ladies!
September 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you tell her before the wedding that a release would be required in exchange for the photos or was that only mentioned after the wedding?

I would offer to sell her the photos, definitely do not give her anything that is unedited or underexposed, that will cause TONS of bad word of mouth for you!

Last edited by JacksonsMommy030409; September 19th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
September 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
if you give her ANYTHING it should be your edited versions with big giant watermarks splashed all over them and the only reason I would do that is if you find reason that you MUST furnish photos.

Otherwise I'd tell her the release is your payment and if she's unwilling to pay you that way, then she will need to purchase the photographs from you for at LEAST $500

September 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Rebecca^'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rebecca^ Send a message via MSN to Rebecca^ Send a message via Yahoo to Rebecca^
I would def not give her unedited work. I give all my clients a web album with low quality web sized images with a watermark and the word PROOF across the middle for them to look at and that is all I would provide her with unless she is willing to properly sign the model release document.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search