Photographers insurance

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
So for those who have insurance, who do you use and what plan do you have as well as whats the yearly cost? What type of insurance do I need, liability? I am more worried about something going really wrong at a wedding and being sued. Now that I am doing more weddings then anything, I think its time I get myself covered so any tips on insurance would be great, this is a new thing for me but its long over due.

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; March 11th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
March 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I believe its around $400 per year,paid quarterly but varies state to state.. I dont know too much about it, I have been looking into it myself.. If you get your LLC too then your home and personal belongings would be covered if anyone was to sue you.. I am not 100% sure, but I think thats how it works..
March 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You should also look into the Professional Photographers of America... I think in their annual fee you also get insurance. Professional Photographers of America

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

March 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pay $750/year for mine. I only have liability insurance and some equipment insurance that comes with it for that price.

For wedding photography would will probably want malpractice insurance - which would be to cover you in the event that you photographed someone's wedding and then got home only to find out your card or camera didn't do its job (as an example). Wedding photography isn't something you can just offer a reshoot for - it's a once in a lifetime thing and if you messed up someone's photos they could very well sue you.

Liability covers obviously and injury or damages caused by you photographing.

I have insurance through my regular provider for my vehicles and home.

I also was required to have my vehicles reclassified as commercial/personal because I travel to jobs with my cars. If I was in an accident with my equipment in tow because I was going to "work" but didn't have commercial coverages I could be denied using my insrance to cover me.
It turns out it's cheaper to be commercially rated anyhow.

If you also photograph in your home it's pretty important to make sure you're covered by your home insurance in the event someone was injured.

This was everything I learned during my search for insurance last month with someone brought it to my attention that I was in a pretty bad spot if something happend and I was uninsured!
March 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's probably important to get some kind of insurance for your home if you bring people into a home studio. I personally do daycare a couple days a week and I've had to get some extra insurance incase a child is injured in my home.

March 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM
rageybug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Forgot to mention also that a lot of companies will offer you $1M liability insurance but it's usually best to upgrade to a $2M policy when it's business related. A millions dollars really doesn't go very far these days - especially when you're being sued as a result of someone being injured or worse.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search