Two 4gb or one 8gb memory card?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
I talked to a guy in wolf camera about memory cards, I am still trying to decide between the extreme and ultra, he has a D700 and uses ultras with no issues at all, plus they are half the cost of the extremes. He also recommend I use two 4gb cards over one 8gb card because you can burn a whole 4gb on one dvd plus if a loss occurs you would lose less with a 4gb...what would you prefer, two 4gb cards or one 8gb?

March 13th, 2011, 11:38 AM
mom2baylee&levi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
I use 2 8g......I try not to fill them til they're full too.....I try to remember to switch before they are completely full.....that doesnt always happen.....

for personal photos....especially on like trips.....I go back and forth betweent he two....I'll use one card for a day or something then switch to the other....then swap back to the other.....and go back and forth so if something happens to One card I still have pics from thruout our trip not just from the first 2 days or whatever....

I also dump them to the laptop daily and dont format my card until I am done editing....lol I am so completely careful/paranoid about something happening to my card that I'm almost a nutcase.....

ofcourse I worry slightly less now that my camera takes the compact flash cards as opposed to the sd cards because the compact flash cards are supposed to be alot more stable

March 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I would go with the 2 4's Its just "safer"
March 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2baylee&levi View Post
I use 2 8g......I try not to fill them til they're full too.....I try to remember to switch before they are completely full.....that doesnt always happen.....

for personal photos....especially on like trips.....I go back and forth betweent he two....I'll use one card for a day or something then switch to the other....then swap back to the other.....and go back and forth so if something happens to One card I still have pics from thruout our trip not just from the first 2 days or whatever....

I also dump them to the laptop daily and dont format my card until I am done editing....lol I am so completely careful/paranoid about something happening to my card that I'm almost a nutcase.....

ofcourse I worry slightly less now that my camera takes the compact flash cards as opposed to the sd cards because the compact flash cards are supposed to be alot more stable
I am becoming a nut case too especially since I have so many weddings booked, I wasn't aware that the compact flashes were more stable, that makes me feel better because my new D700 takes compact flash but my D90 took a sd card. I want to be safe, I just try to imagine losing pictures from a wedding, I would be so beyond devestated I don't know what I'd do...oh it scares me to death just to even think about it.

March 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I still stick with 2 gbs, but everything I've read has said to either use 4 2b, or 2 4gb, over an 8...

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use multiple smaller cards because I've always been told it's better to lose 4GB than it is to lose 8GB. I think it depends on your camera though. I *think* mine is only 10mp so 4 GB cards work fine for me. When I upgrade to the 20 something mp 5DmkII (or possibly 5DMKIII if it ever comes out) I'll probably get bigger cards.

March 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Teri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 16 GB card that I really love - but it would be safer to use smaller cards. What about buying one of those portable hard drive backups that you can put the card in and backup right on-site?

March 14th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri View Post
I have a 16 GB card that I really love - but it would be safer to use smaller cards. What about buying one of those portable hard drive backups that you can put the card in and backup right on-site?
I haven't heard of these, tell me more...

March 14th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
ditto the portable hard drive in The Digital Photography Book, Scott Kelby gives a a couple options, one for each price range.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search