Please critique these pictures

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Ashtyns_mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ashtyns_mom
I would love to get better at photography and as someone wrote to my last post the best way is to practice and hve people critique you.

Be harsh.. I can handle it!

June 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1 This is my favorite of the series. I like the composition and I love the expression on her face!

#2 It's quite nice, but appears a little flat tonally. A boost in contrast might help!

#3 A very sweet and loving moment. The exposure is a bit off, with several areas being blown out (meaning no detail becaue it is too overexposed) and the face is shadow. It's a great spontaneous moment though, and I wouln't have tried to move them because it might have been lost. What kind of camera are you using? If it has the option of a manual mode that might be helpful in difficult lighting. Sometimes you have to out think the camera if it's set in program mode

I think you have a great eye for composition! I look forward to seeing more of your work!

June 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Hi!

It would be really helpful if you could post your camera settings for each picture. That way we can see how you can improve.

Things like Camera Mode, White Balance setting, Shutter Speed, Aperature, ISO. That would help in critiquing your photos a lot!

But here's my take on them...

#1 -

This one looks out of focus and the color looks a tad flat. The out of focus could be due to a slower shutter speed. When photographing children and animals, you should try to use a shutter speed of at least 1/125. Very cute subject, though, and her eyes are not in the center of the picture, and that's always good.

#2 -
All the same as above since it's the same picture, I'll just comment on your B&W conversion. - It could use a boost in contrast. And it looks pretty gray. Conversions are hard, though. I still don't have mine right yet!!!

#3 -

Very cute capture!!!
Again it looks out of focus. I can tell by the blur of the daddy's hand that it's probably due to slow shutter speed. Like I said above, this can be fixed by upping your shutter speed. I would like to see more of the daddy in this photo and the tips of the baby's fingers are cut off, which isn't good. Was this an in-camera crop, or did you crop it in PS? If it's an in-camera crop, just try zooming out a bit so that you aren't cutting fingers off. And there are hot spots on the top of the baby's head and on his shirt. Probably b/c of harsh sunlight coming in through the window. You could always put a white sheet over the window to diffuse the light a little bit and that would eliminate those hot spots.

I hope these critiques help you! These pictures definietly have potential!!! Good job.

June 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Saigon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not a professional..but this is my thought on #1:

crop from her left arm and up the kitten's tail leads the eye down the frame and away from the subject. And the electric outlet is a bit distracting. as is the cooler handle.

I love the pose though. Very casual. And the kitten looking away with the girl's smile is great. I perfer her in color although you could you try and washout the brick and background to get more of a pop in color with the child.

#2:

Maybe if you remove the plug and cooler handle...and sharpen and darken the bricks. to bring out a contrast in the soft fur and softness of the child and the stark sharpness of bricks

#3:

Love it! Maybe if you focus it more on the guys and soften the outside. so the door handle and the things on the table aren't as distracting.

Just my thoughts
June 26th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Ashtyns_mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ashtyns_mom
Quote:
#2 It's quite nice, but appears a little flat tonally. A boost in contrast might help!

How about this?

#3 A very sweet and loving moment. The exposure is a bit off, with several areas being blown out (meaning no detail becaue it is too overexposed) and the face is shadow. It's a great spontaneous moment though, and I wouln't have tried to move them because it might have been lost. What kind of camera are you using? If it has the option of a manual mode that might be helpful in difficult lighting. Sometimes you have to out think the camera if it's set in program mode

ANd this?

I warmed the tones in this one a little...

I think you have a great eye for composition! I look forward to seeing more of your work![/b]
Thanks! I really am trying.

I dont have a photo program on my computer. So I am trying to fix these with what I do have... What would be a good program that would grow with me?

I will try to work on the other tips sometime today. Thanks guys! I am so excited that I have people who will help me!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search