Phot critique

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Saigon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I am just starting out so it is no where near what everyone else is capable of! But How can I improve?
June 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Very cute expression!! He looks like he has plenty of attitude.

As for my crituque, I'd have to say that it's pretty underexposed. And it would be a lot better if you could open up a window and try to use natural light instead of the flash. See how he is lit up, but everything around him is dark?? That's because of the flash. And the pinpoint catchlights in his eyes b/c of the flash, also...that doesn't look so great. If you don't have enough light coming in, you could always try bumping up the ISO. Or if you must use flash a speedlite that you could bounce off the ceiling would spread the light out better or if you have to use your on-camera flash, get something to diffuse the light so that it isn't so harsh.....
Just try to steer clear of using direct flash b/c that always makes a picture look snapshot-ish and creates shadows and a bunch of other photography no-no's.

Hope that helps!!!

I played with it a little.....

June 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Veteran
I think the best way to learn is to go outside, in open shade, not direct sunlight, that will also give you harsh shadows. Turn the flash off, and leave it off forever!! Unless you can bounce it off of something.

Also, try to get a pleasing background while you are outside. Always be aware, no cars in the background, etc...

You definately have a cute subject to work with, I am sure you will have lots of fun practicing!!
June 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everything said above! Morning and late afternoon sun tend to be the easiest to work with and don't create the same shadows as mid day sun. I look forward to seeing more of your photos!
June 26th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
the above...and what a cute little guy he is!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
June 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Saigon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls! He really is a cutie. And I am in the process of trying to take some sans flash.
June 29th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Merin
You've gotten some really good tips -

I would only add that if you want very specific feedback about how to improve your shots in terms of exposure at least, it's very worthwhile to note your aperature and shutter settings - and if you're using film the speed of the film, or the "film speed" you have your digital set at...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search