Help me set up a small studio in my house!

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Veteran
I am really wanting to learn to do this right, and hopefully be able to start some sort of small-business from this.

My husband has OK'd me getting some equipment. I have my SLR Digi Camera already, with just the 55mm lense - works good for now.

I would like to get some sort of umbrella flashes and such so I can take pics no matter what time of day. I want something semi-portable so if I do manage to get business someday, I can take these things out in the field with me.

I've looked online, but am very clueless to what I will need. I don't even know if it exists, but I want something that I could use on a small set up, for poses with kids and such, and something that I can use for larger groups too, possibly wedding groups someday.

What would I need, that I can use as I am learning, and still use when I get more advanced. If I get this set up now, I can start doing pics for free for people to learn and to build up a portfolio of more then just my son and niece. I've been asked to do family weddings, but was too scared and turned them down, but I want to get to the point where I can confidently say YES!

The studios around me just aren't that high quality, and I know I can sqeeze into this market a little bit if I can gain confidence, and figure this stuff out.

Please tell me what I should consider getting.

THANK YOU!
June 30th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Ashtyns_mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ashtyns_mom
I am far, and I mean FAR, from being a professional photographer. But I have noticed some things that some photographers use.

There is aphotography studio in OK city that uses a piece of foam insulation board that has a shiny side to help re-direct light... They placed the board up on end inside of a wooden frame, the board can swivel back and forth and up and down. They either use sunlight and move the board to redirect the light until the light brightens up their subject or they shine artifical lights on it and then move the board to redirect the light until their subject is lit up. It gives really great picture effects.

I dont know if I explained that very well or not. But I thought that it would be an inexpensive way to get a piece of equipment. And if you just used half of a piece of board it would be light and easy to move.

June 30th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I can tell you what I use for my studio:

Hensel lighting kit (Alien Bees is also a great kit!)
Softbox
I have a reflector and a diffuser (for outdoor work)
Background stand + 3 muslin backgrounds and 2 paper ones
Clamps for the backgrounds

Here's the link for Alien Bees: http://www.alienbees.com/ I don't personally use them but I have heard nothing but good things in the industry about they and they have some great starter kits as well!

June 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I'll take a shot at this. Im not professional, but my DH is just starting up professionally. Im the assistant. There's so much gear out there that it can be overwelming and can add up quickly. So there's lots of time for research. One thing I would really think about is what you want to end up specializing in because thats going to determine for the most part which gear will better suit your needs.
I've also heard tons of good things about alien bees.
We've got an Interfit light kit, softbox, background stand (I think paper is the easiest to use personally.).
You can check with your local camera shop to see what they carry/recommend. They might also run their own studio for rent and offer classes. I know the ones around here do.
June 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first set of lights were Interfit, they were very nice as well!

June 30th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Veteran
thanks for the suggestions so far.

I am seaking out a class to take in Digital Photography, but am having a hard time finding anything.

I will contact the local camera stores to see if they know of any, thank you for that suggestion.

I think maybe I'll take a class or two, and get to actually use equipment first-hand to see what it is I will like best.

It is hard to imagine what/how I will use anything right now. I'm worried I will buy the wrong thing and just end up wasting money.
July 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Ashtyns_mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ashtyns_mom
have you tried a local college for the photography class? THe local college here offers a great one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search