new picture

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Ashtyns_mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ashtyns_mom

ISO 100
no flash
F2.8
shutter speed 100

I cant remember how to change the stuff on my camera, so I just used the same settings that I used on my last one

July 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
What can i do to make DD stand out and the back ground fuzzy? Which setting would I need to change.... now if I could just have some one tell me the steps so I dont have to look them up

July 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
YAY for not using flash!! This is much better...

Quote:
What can i do to make DD stand out and the back ground fuzzy?[/b]
Do some reading about your F-stops. This is what you'll need to change.

About your settings:

Exposure mode: Auto Exposure
F number: 2.8
Exposure time: 1/100
ISO Speed: 100
White Balance: Auto

You should try to do all your shooting in manual mode. This way you can choose these settings yourself and with time and lots of practice, you'll be able to choose your settings to end up with a much better exposure.

About your focus.....you need to increase your F-stop. This will allow more of the picture to come into focus.

Another thing that will cause blur is a slow shutter speed. Yours was 1/100. When shooting moving objects, especially children, try to go with at LEAST a 1/125, but higher if you can. This may mean you have to up your ISO.

Like for example, you might have ended up with a better picture if you had your ISO at 200, Shutter speed at 1/160, F-number 5.6

But you'll have to shoot in manual mode in order to acheive this.

Manual mode is hard to figure out at first, but once you learn what all your setting mean, it really does come as second nature and you'll see much better results.

Your doing better, though! Just try to read some about what the numbers mean.

I played with your picture a little in Paintshop to try to correct the problems in it. Hope you don't mind.

I corrected the exposure in layers, removed noise, straightened the picture, and since it was already a little out of focus, I just added soft focus to it to make it look like it was supposed to be that way.

Oh and also...you may want to see if there's a way to turn off the date stamp on your camera if your trying for a professional look.

Keep practicing...you're doing good!

July 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really like the use of natural light in this shot.
For background blur you want a wide aperature. And more depth between your subject and background when possible will help as well.
I did another edit as well, hope you don't mind; but I just wanted to see the shot in sepia since I think its a nice classic feeling composition.

Editted to (hopefully) have it display in a larger size!
July 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Merin
Quote:
What can i do to make DD stand out and the back ground fuzzy? Which setting would I need to change.... now if I could just have some one tell me the steps so I dont have to look them up [/b]

F-Stop and aperature are the same thing.

If you change it UP to a higher number, you are going to get MORE in focus. You want to change it down if you can, though I'd be surprised if your camera GOES lower than 2.8, if it does, great, if not, then the only thing you can do is put more distance between your subject and the background.

You also wanna look at your manual to figure out how to turn off that date stamp, dontcha?

It's a really cute shot as is, nicely framed and good that you've got your subject filling most of it.
July 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Veteran
I was going to give some suggestions, but the above members have said what I would have! You're doing good, keep practicing!
July 6th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys I guess I need to sit down and just play and quiz myself over how to change my settings...

I like the changes you guys made to the picture also.

July 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would of done what JWhite31 did

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search