Why does everyone think it's the camera?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Today a client asked me what kind of equipment she needed so she could take professional pictures in her own home with the DSLR she just bought last week. Do people not get that I'm not shooting in auto and it has taken me four years to fully learn my camera? It's more than owning backdrops and lights.

Hormonal pregnant rant over.

December 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People do the same thing with graphic designers. They buy photoshop and are ready to create logos and christmas cards, forgetting that there is that whole "doing things with a purpose" concept. It's only going to get worse.

Check out this link:
Ideas On Scraping Up Extra Cash For The Holidays - The Consumerist

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
December 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking- I don't do photography, but I do know how much work goes into learning how to take great pictures.
My sister is one of those people you are speaking of. She bought a DSLR camera on black friday and is going to take a few classes early next year, then she thinks she will be done and know everything. I want to slap her.......

She actually thinks she will be ready to walk out of class, take pictures and make enough money to quit her job..... I just laugh and go on about my business. CLUELESS!

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
Lurking- I don't do photography, but I do know how much work goes into learning how to take great pictures.
My sister is one of those people you are speaking of. She bought a DSLR camera on black friday and is going to take a few classes early next year, then she thinks she will be done and know everything. I want to slap her.......

She actually thinks she will be ready to walk out of class, take pictures and make enough money to quit her job..... I just laugh and go on about my business. CLUELESS!
At least she is taking a class. Most people don't even go that far. People shouldn't be discouraged from learning it, they should just understand that the camera and equipment is only a quarter of what you need to make money doing this. You also need business skills, people skills and creative talent. I say that if you want to do it then give it a shot, just don't try to hurry it.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
December 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For a normal person, I would say the same thing.

But she is stuck at the camera will do it. She is grumpy, mean and no patience. I wouldn't let her take pictures of my porch, let alone people. And if she could center a picture, that would be nice. I could show you tons of pictures where she doesn't even make sure the heads are in the picture....lol

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 18th, 2011, 12:03 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
i see nothing wrong with asking what type of equipment is good to have to up the qualities of a picture.

but then again, i also feel when one is complaining of another person wanting to jump shoot into a hobby/career, that it's a lot more jealousy and/or being worried.

i asked everyone what type of camera they had when i noticed theirs came out a lot better than mine... assuming it's "the person, not the camera".. never crossed my mind. but so many people get frustrated when people ask. it's fairly possible someone wants to know what sort of camera/equipment one has so that they can get better quality photographs that look more professional.. and i see nothing wrong with that.
December 18th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I happily tell people what cameras & lenses I shoot with. I'm not concerned. They'll figure it out soon enough and hey it is a compliment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search