ugh..

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2011, 08:39 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
So today I went to shoot a family session, there was, little girl, mom, dad, moms sister, moms brother, moms mom, moms dad, moms moms mom..

First thing is I get there and they live in a mansion.. seriously.. I am still in my pb'ing stage and think WHY would they want to use me??? Anyhow, I set up all my lights (2 strobes) as the room with the tree in it was darker.. Immediately the little girl who is 1 starts crying, NOTHING anyone does helps, she just is not having it.. SOOOO I get the family in position which I have never positioned so many family members before and that in itself is a struggle. Lighting check, wb check, exposure, all good, but different heights and such made it appear a little awkward.. Onto faces, blinks, cries, looking down, I swear, in every single shot someone was doing something and I took a LOT of shots.. (see my other head swap thread). They are a beautiful family, all so very pretty/handsome, and yet this little girl refused, flat out refused to even look up.

I work with children, I was singing, dancing shaking toys/rattles, talking like mickey mouse, then even tried saying to everyone after 3 lets all just be super quiet and see if she looks up.. 1,2,3, nothing.. I did the session for 150, includes 15 digi images..

Now I know at least half of them turned out GREAT, but not all the ones of the whole family.. The dad was kinda pissy, not into having his picture taken, the sister threw the baby up in the air and banged her head on the door jamb, baby cries even harder.. I just really had hope for this family and now I am dreading editing.

I feel it was out of my control and even the mom said it was totally not my fault and apologized for how her daughter was behaving. I tried candid shots but it was all hopeless. I spent 2 hours really trying to make it work, and I know I have some good pics I am just afraid that I did not get all the ones they wanted due to people blinking, looking the other way etc..

Should I offer a reshoot?? The other kicker is that the dad paid me, he handed me money (cash). yes I claim on my taxes, they just had cash not check.. so I put it down on the table while I was signing contracts etc and I am filling out the 150 price.. mom picks up the cash to count it and says, oh good job I checked, Dad over paid you! gave you too much money

I actually think it was a tip for me working my tail off.. but she took it out of the money and really, what could I say without sounding rude, I didnt know for sure it was a tip.. but still.. I am pretty certain it was as they knew my price prior to the shoot!

So, do I offer a reshoot?? I just feel bad that not everyone is smiling and looking the right way in the pictures, and they were all dressed so nicely in preparation for the shoot..

What would you do?? Maybe offer another session at 1/2 price?? I really feel I did my work well, and I know she will be happy with a lot of the images, I just wish the family ones were better

Any advice on posing large families? Thanks!!! Anyone want to do a head swap or two for me??
December 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
if you have enough good shots for how ever many your offering for the session.. then give them that.. you are doing what on the end of your bargain. but if they come back and say i didnt like them can we do a reshoot.. to keep a good rep, i probably would with a discounted price. but i would give them what i had.

if i offer 25-30 shots per session.. and i only get 15 good shots, then i will offer a reshoot at no extra, because im not keeping my end of the bargain.. but if you do offer the amount you said you'd offer.. then you are fine, but like i said.. if she does come back and requests a reshoot.. i think it should be done to keep a client happy and to keep a good rep.. just do so with a discounted price
December 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
Okay, I will definitely do what it takes to keep her happy, I wish I was better at head swaps! I could use it on just two pictures!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search