We are looking at buying a new camera soon, which are good?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Veteran
We are looking at updating our digital camera. Right now we have a Canon PowerShot G1, my husband bought if off of his parents about 4 years ago, before we were together. It gets the job done, but I would like something better. I would like to take somewhat professional looking pictures.

I am a total novice when it comes to terms and stuff. lol I was looking at the Canon Rebel, and my husband was looking at Sony.

Any suggestions on a good, but reasonably priced camera?

TIA!
July 10th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Canon, Canon, CANON!!! Over the Sony for sure I would say Canon, 2nd to that, Nikon! I have the Digi Canon Rebel XT and I love it...it's a great starter DSLR and gives you PLENTY of room to grow.

You can also look here www.dpreview.com for comparisons on cameras.

Plus others on here may have plenty to offer as well or different opinions, that's just mine obviously.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I have a Kodak Easyshare but am upgrading to something else soon because it is temperamental with humidity and moisture. If I have it in high humidity, it fogs up. So this is not one I recommend.

July 11th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
I have the Canon EOS 300D (I think you call it the Digital Rebel in the States)

I can't complain about it at all. It's my first DSLR and does exactly what I want it to. You can use it on full auto, or you can adjust your own settings.

If you have the money to buy it, I'd recommend it
July 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was your husband looking at the new Sony Alpha? Sony recently took over Minolta's line of cameras so it's not really "new" just under a new name. The Sony specs are fantastic, and you can use Zeiss lenses with them (a fantastic piece of optics!). The Canon 350D and Nikon D70s are very similar, and Nikon also has a D50 that would probably suit your needs well. Biggest piece of advice is to hold them in the store, try them out and see which feels best to you. I shoot a Canon and a Nikon, and my DH was a diehard Minolta (now Sony) fan. You can go wrong with any of those choices!

July 11th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Biggest piece of advice is to hold them in the store, try them out and see which feels best to you.[/b]
Yes, yes, yes....meant to say that too, that can make or break a decision for you.

</div>
July 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
.Becky.'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to .Becky.
Last year I bought a Kodak easy share z740. It's just ok. I want to upgrade, but it is a great "starter" camera IMO.

How much are you looking to spend?

</div>

He takes her from the home she knows to lands of which are new. Survival is an unknown place, becomes her test of truth. Her burdens of many and his tanks sometimes are small. She keeps her faith through thick and thin and makes the best of all. She lives with some uncertainty, knows not what dawn may bring, but he knows nothing stops his girl from doing anything. Whether star or stripe or bar adorns his collar or his strife, nothing means more to a soldier than the one he calls his wife.
July 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Veteran
Thanks for everyones opinions. DH is still looking at Sony. I think he only wants Sony because his mother has one, he hardly ever takes pictures, it is usually me. I want something half-way decent.

Oh, well! Maybe if we look at them in person, we can see what we like.

Thanks again!
July 13th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
GOOD LUCK Brandy...it's a big decision! I would definately check them out in person but then maybe order it online, you could probably find it a lot cheaper (possibly) and then have a little extra money to upgrade your lens, or get another lens or something else fun.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search