Fees for traveling to someone's home and what do you pack?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Hey everyone, I normally rarely travel to people's homes for shoots but I did for 1 family about 2 years ago, I did maternity portraits for them and then they had me come back to do newborn shots of their baby, my prices have since changed and I just got an e-mail from them saying they just had another baby and want me to do shots of the baby. The distance is about 45 miles away, what would do you think you would typically charge for 45 miles up and 45 miles back?

Also, back then I used to just shoot with my little continuous lighting setup, easy to take down and set up, but I haven't used them in over a year since I got my AlienBee B800, love it and think that I have gotten really good with using it but my softbox is HUGE! I cannot see myself tearing that thing down and bringing it with me to someone's home where space was always limited and what about back drops? I was using some huge muslins back then but now I only use seamless paper and sometimes I use fabric bought from the fabric store but those pieces are small, for kids only, not for a now family of 5. So when you travel to someone's home what do you take? I just don't think I'll get enough good light with my speedlight and they want me to come in the evening so not enough natural light. Maybe my B and an umbrella? What kind of different lighting will I get with the B and an umbrella? I love the soft natural looking light I get from my softbox. Still not sure what to do about back drops, I have to reply to her soon so hopefully you all have some tips for me!

Last edited by Joliving4Jesus; February 11th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
February 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
well im a traveling photographer.. so all of my stuff is always in the car packed and ready to go.. i charge $10 for every 15 miles (just from point 1 to point b.. i dont combine one way up and one way back).. i go up to 90 miles from my home
February 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
What do you have packed in your car?

February 13th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
backdrop stand, lighting kit, backdrops, puck, and a dufflebag of all my blankets, hats, and bows

i do also have my couple of props, like my fake book and suitcase incase someone happens to have hardwood flooring or tile to do shots off the carpets

but I have a van.. so it all fits in the back just fine and i never need to move it.. if i had a smaller vehicle.. im not sure i could do all that!
February 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
What kind of backdrops do you take with you? And what type of lighting kit do you travel with?

February 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You should see my car when I go to someone's house for a shoot, esp. newborn! I have a space heater, my beanbag, my backdrop stand, a roll of large paper, a bag full of blankets, hats, headbands, props, and my lights and camera bag. It takes me a good 5-10 minutes just to unload the car. hahahahha
I just take over the kitchen with my gak, and then set up in the living room (or wherever there is room).
I don't charge for travel within the 100km around where I live so I can't help you there.

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

February 14th, 2012, 08:04 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since I dont have a studio I dont charge for traveling, unless it is an exceptional distance away, more than 50 miles. Then I charge $25.

As far as what I take, I take it all. I bring a total of 4 lights and stands and my speedlight along with any props and a few lenses and my backdrops and stand (seamless paper and black muslin. 95% of the time I get to use natural light but I always have my lights there just in case. It's a big pain, especially by yourself which is why I like to have an assistant. It's a good idea anyway, especially if you are going to a home of someone you have never met.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
February 15th, 2012, 09:02 AM
oh yes my space heater as well!

when it's a newborn.. i just bring my blankets.. but, i always have my white backdrop in there.. and the other day for a maternity session i even brought my seamless to go
February 15th, 2012, 11:14 AM
So the seamless that some of you take, is it the HUGE seamless? Mine is like 10 feet wide, I couldn't even fit that in my car, I am assuming you take the smaller, less wide seamless?

February 15th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I totally take the large roll. It fits in our explorer with no room to spare. I take it but I never use it, it's more of a comfort to know that if I need it I have it. I have a smaller roll I use for babies though.

www.leannebraniff.com
February 15th, 2012, 02:24 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bring the larger one too, but all of mine have been cut down to 8 feet, because that's the size i need for my studio.

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

February 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Wow, I didn't realize everyone does so much for traveling, my mazda tribute wouldn't fit the 10 foot roll, it probably could with the back window open and sticking out the back, I am not super fond of traveling to someone's home for studio shoots since I have my own studio but I know a lot of people prefer that with newborns, I am sure I can come up with something, I just hate working with muslins but they are easier to transport.

February 16th, 2012, 02:45 PM
For newborns I go to Hobby Lobby and buy a small roll of 4ft paper. It's like $10. It's about the perfect size for a newborn and they have all different colors too. I can get a couple uses out of it but it is much easier to transport than the 10ft roll.

www.leannebraniff.com
February 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM
i dont use backdrops for newborns really.. mostly the blankets... but on the chance that i can use a set up for a newborn.. ill use my black blanket.. so make it a black background. like i did with the 34 week preemie on the book and suitcase... or even my white vinyl muslin

but for smash cake or maternity.. i haul the seamless

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search