Need photographer's perspective please!

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
cavewoman's Avatar our miracle is here!! <3
So I had posted a while back about wanting to just do my own newborn pics and have DH snap some maternity shots of me.. the plan was just to maybe get a better lens for my D3000 and some sort of lighting and call it a day. BUT the closer it gets to the time frame, and the more I can't make up my mind on what the heck to buy and just flat out kind of being too lazy to figure this all out on my own I am thinking about having a local photographer do some maternity and newborn pics for me. It's a military spouse and it will honestly be really inexpensive.. and just easier on me BUT (always a but) some of her photos are pretty washed out for my taste I feel like.

The question is.. (here's where I need your perspectives) would it be awful to ask her in some way not to blow them out so much? lol And if so, how should I go about doing so? I mean.. whether she blows them out or not, its still a great deal for both sessions and will be just a huge weight off my shoulders since we have a lot going on right now.. but yeah.

Oh, and I'd be going with her because of all the less expensive options near me.. I like her pics/poses best. The other one I'd maybe consider is way more expensive and still not my top pick if I were going to be really willing to SPEND on the pics (the 1st choice would just be way more than I feel comfortable dishing out at the moment). Hope that makes sense!

ask me about doTERRA essential oils!

February 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When you say blown out are you referring to them being over-exposed?

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask her if she could go with lower key images for your shoot. Be sure to tell her why you are choosing her first, because you love her composition and her style but you would like to have more detail and deep colors in the images. Ask her to do it though, don't tell her. Chances are she is editing the images that way. She does have every right to say no though...because they are a representation of the photographer and if that is how she wants them to be then she can turn you down. It really depends on the person though, some wont mind but some wont budge.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
February 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM
cavewoman's Avatar our miracle is here!! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
When you say blown out are you referring to them being over-exposed?

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask her if she could go with lower key images for your shoot. Be sure to tell her why you are choosing her first, because you love her composition and her style but you would like to have more detail and deep colors in the images. Ask her to do it though, don't tell her. Chances are she is editing the images that way. She does have every right to say no though...because they are a representation of the photographer and if that is how she wants them to be then she can turn you down. It really depends on the person though, some wont mind but some wont budge.
Yes, some of her pics I've seen are fine while others (mainly the newborn shots) seem to lose a lot of detail in the face because of how over-exposed they are.

ask me about doTERRA essential oils!

February 19th, 2012, 04:34 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I agree with Leanne, there is nothing wrong with asking her, its just in how you ask her, kwim? I am sure she will be flattered that you like her composition and that you are choosing her, let us know how it goes!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search