logo decisions.....

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Story
  • 1 Post By MrsLMB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
mom2baylee&levi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
OK I have been working on my new custom logo with a logo designer and he's come up with a basic concept I love.....but there are a few things I want to change....

Here is the concept

I love the camer outline as the frame.....

I hate the font....hate the color....I'm not sure what I think of the little birds....not sure I love them...but that space feels kinda empty with nothing there soooo

I am totally rebranding....new website....new marketing....around this new logo so I am trying to choose colors wisely....I just have no clue

I am going to ask him to add kinda a shadow layer (like an outline on the inside of the camera shape) to give it a little more detail/deminsion

and I want a simplier font...not so scrolly looking...maybe a handwritten font...I'm not sure yet...I'm still browsing fonts to give him an idea of what I want. suggestions are welcome!!

color scheme is where I am at a total loss.....I have NO CLUE

I have been playing around with
Camera shape (dark gray) shadow outline (Golden yellow) text (Bright blue)
Camera shape (Chocolate brown) Shadow outline (Kelly green) Text (med/brightish blue)

nothing has just stuck out as the right color scheme yet....sooooo does anyone have some suggestions of three colors (I'm thinking 2 complimentary bright colors and a more neutral color to balance them or something)

I am totally at a loss lol I want to get back to him today hopefully since he has been so speedy and quick about getting me my proofs (I contacted him first friday....told him late friday night I wanted to work with him and he had me 2 proofs by saturday night). Plus I'm antsy and I want to get busy working on my rebranding lol

so HELP ME!!

February 26th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
A logo is part of your corporate image.
You have to love it entirely.
And it has to fit with you.

Why birds? You say you're not sure you like them. if the birds have no purpose other than filling an empty space, I would remove them and try something else.
Because at the end, you don't want those birds to represent you.

This logo will be on your website and business cards.

I'm also re-doing my website (it's not a photography website, I'm a web dev, but still) and working on my logo (I didn't have one yet) so I'm in the same situation.

What is important to remember in a logo, is that it has to look nice in really small resolutions. So try not to put too much details. Again, the birds are too small and it wouldn't look good in a small resolution. It wouldn't look like birds.

A good way to know if your logo is well done, take the text out and see if it fits you.
When you see a logo these days, even without the name of the brand or any text, you know what it is.

My photography logo is this :

Super simple, the Kanji are what represents me (it's my name, basically)..

Here's my friend's web dev logo :

And as you can see on her website : Chevrëtic , she can only use the big "C" to represent her. She doesn't need to add "hevretic" to the C, we know what this C is.

I don't know if you see what I mean...

For the colors, I just discovered this website, it's just awesome, it's gonna help me so bad with my website contracts : Design Seeds®: For All Who Love Color

Have a look, and choose a scheme that you like

Don't be scared to be an a**, the designers are there to give you what you want and what you need, and they have to do it all over again until you're satisfied.

the designer will try something to start from.
I know you want it done fast but you have to take the time to be sure that's what you want, because it'll stick to you for a long time. not like a website which you can change often.

If you like the frame, you can keep it and play with it.
Your designer should be able to take this camera frame and create 3 to 5 other logo with the same base image, just by playing with it.
MrsLMB likes this.

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

February 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here are my thoughts (as a graphic designer of 10 years)...

First of all I would stop worrying about colors and shadows. You need to get the bones of the logo first. A simple, black and white logo, something clean that you could use on anything. You will not be able to use a full color logo on everything...you may need it very small or very large, you may need it to be embroidered or printed on vinyl, something that you can't have shadows and multiple colors on. It is essential that you have a solid, simple version to keep on file.

Once you get to the point of having the "bones" done you can start adding color. Very rarely does color define a brand. Sometimes it does but for the most part colors can be changed and your identity will still remain. I would have the designer do a few different color schemes but I wouldn't worry so much about it. I would really refrain from using drop shadows on the logo itself but you can add them as you are using them in design. Drop shadows and glows can really ruin things. Logos should be able to look good and hold their own without all of that stuff.

Here is a site that you can look at examples of good logos. Each of these logos has a black and white version and has added color and things to polish it up. This is also a good site so look at for inspiration.
Logopond - Identity Inspiration

Here are a bunch of great logos and their design process.
Creative Brainstorming: 50 Examples of The Logo Design Process

As far as the design you have now, I am not seeing the border as a camera. I was not sure what it was when I first saw it. It is a tad cliche to have a camera in a photography logo anyway but you can find pieces of the camera that you could incorporate into the logo without being so literal, like shutters and lenses and flashes. I agree that the font isn't that great. I like to use more than one font if the name is long and made up of several words. Photography is secondary to your name and you can express that by using a smaller, different font than what your name is in. I really love the idea of a hand written name and usually those types of logos stand very well without any other graphics. Also, it is general rule to never use more than 2 different fonts in any design.

I am not sure what the birds are about...do you have a significant meaning for the birds? Is there a reason they should be in your logo design?

I hope this helps. I see a lot of people get really overwhelmed with logo design because they want it all now and don't realize that it is a long process. It is an identity and it shouldn't be rushed. A designer should offer more than one design at first so you can see a few totally different directions your logo could go in. Then take the one you like the best and start refining. As a client, just remember that a logo is like you are putting together a body. You need your skeleton first, start adding tissue and muscle and end with the skin.

If you need some help feel free to PM me!
Story likes this.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
February 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
Thanks for all the suggestions....

I totally like the frame....I just dont feel like the font represents me at all...and I totally see what you mean about the birds.....the definatly wouldn't work small....and I dunno....I'm just not in love with them.

my designer has been awesome...he is fully prepared to change anything I want changed....I just have a really hard time commiting lol

I am going to have him keep the frame.....show him a couple of examples of fonts that are closer to what I have pictured.....lose the birds....and play with colors...thats what I'm having the hardest time with is finding a color scheme so I will definatly check out the link! Thank you!

and I do get what you're saying about removing the name and seeing if it fits...like how we can all recognize target....or mcdonalds.....or starbucks by their logo without the text because that logo IS their image or whatever....makes total sense....

I pulled it into photoshop and extracted it from the weird background and removed the text and birds and I still love it sooo I'm happy with that......now figure out what direction I want to go with colors

Off to play with colors

February 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Here are my thoughts (as a graphic designer of 10 years)...

First of all I would stop worrying about colors and shadows. You need to get the bones of the logo first. A simple, black and white logo, something clean that you could use on anything. You will not be able to use a full color logo on everything...you may need it very small or very large, you may need it to be embroidered or printed on vinyl, something that you can't have shadows and multiple colors on. It is essential that you have a solid, simple version to keep on file.

Once you get to the point of having the "bones" done you can start adding color. Very rarely does color define a brand. Sometimes it does but for the most part colors can be changed and your identity will still remain. I would have the designer do a few different color schemes but I wouldn't worry so much about it. I would really refrain from using drop shadows on the logo itself but you can add them as you are using them in design. Drop shadows and glows can really ruin things. Logos should be able to look good and hold their own without all of that stuff.

Here is a site that you can look at examples of good logos. Each of these logos has a black and white version and has added color and things to polish it up. This is also a good site so look at for inspiration.
Logopond - Identity Inspiration

Here are a bunch of great logos and their design process.
Creative Brainstorming: 50 Examples of The Logo Design Process

As far as the design you have now, I am not seeing the border as a camera. I was not sure what it was when I first saw it. It is a tad cliche to have a camera in a photography logo anyway but you can find pieces of the camera that you could incorporate into the logo without being so literal, like shutters and lenses and flashes. I agree that the font isn't that great. I like to use more than one font if the name is long and made up of several words. Photography is secondary to your name and you can express that by using a smaller, different font than what your name is in. I really love the idea of a hand written name and usually those types of logos stand very well without any other graphics. Also, it is general rule to never use more than 2 different fonts in any design.

I am not sure what the birds are about...do you have a significant meaning for the birds? Is there a reason they should be in your logo design?

I hope this helps. I see a lot of people get really overwhelmed with logo design because they want it all now and don't realize that it is a long process. It is an identity and it shouldn't be rushed. A designer should offer more than one design at first so you can see a few totally different directions your logo could go in. Then take the one you like the best and start refining. As a client, just remember that a logo is like you are putting together a body. You need your skeleton first, start adding tissue and muscle and end with the skin.

If you need some help feel free to PM me!

Two fonts is exactly the direction I was going.....something that brings my name out more....I was kinda feeling like it was overwhelming me too look at the whole thing in the SAME font and SAME size...sooo I've been playing with fonts trying to figure out exactly what I mean

he gave me a few VERY different options....and this is the one that represents me the best....

thank you so much for all the advice...I'm going to figure out font wise what I want and go from there.... I really appreciate it and you've given me a lot to think about

February 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
what is you just added a rectangle where the birds are so its like the viewfinder on the camera then there is no empty space and it reinforces the image as a camera. I really like the camera.

February 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Most of the time, your logo will be black and white

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

February 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiSumah View Post
Most of the time, your logo will be black and white

I know but I am working on rebranding completely so I want to make sure everything flows cohesively from the logo to the website and so on....

I think I've finally figured it out lol.....I know my post is all over the place I had just been thinking about a lot of things at once haha but I think I sorted it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
what is you just added a rectangle where the birds are so its like the viewfinder on the camera then there is no empty space and it reinforces the image as a camera. I really like the camera.
I really like the camera too....and I like that it's not so glaringly obviously a camera...but if you pay attention it is ya know?

I actually had thought about adding a view finder square up there....for now I just took the birds out and left it....but I may go back and add it ...I'm just gunna keep tweeking until I get exactly what I want

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search